100 Man Kumite

OP
EddieCyrax

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My general question is "should I know Kelly Leo"???

Does he have a Martial Arts renown past/pedigree???

Was surprised this was posted by Black Belt Magazine...

They didn't provide any back story other than the video.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw this on Black Belt Magazine's facebook page.....

Does anyone know this individual???

I was not too impressed....Perhaps I am missing something...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFdcY3bmcW4&sns=fb

The 100 man kumite is meant as a test of spirit-to push oneself physically and mentally beyond limits. In reality, if almost all of us faced 100 men, one at a time, who were actually trying to knock us out, well before the 48th guy (or, let's face it, the 10th guy) most of us would be killed. Point is, it's not about winning or losing-you can't "win" a 100 man kumite, you can only finish it, and it's somewhat friendly and controlled-we'd like everyone else to think all those guys are trying to take our heads off, but they're really not....not after the first 10 or so, anyway...:lfao:...... There's no context for the youtube video-we don't know if the snippets we're seeing are from the first ten or so bouts, or the last ten. As I recall, around the 20th (of 50) I had a great deal of difficult getting my legs more than knee-high to kick, and was pretty much landing punches without any significant power.

That said, the guy's like a lot of bigger kyokushin practitioners: not particularly impressive or fit..I mean, these guys are pretty fresh:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
EddieCyrax

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have seen similar events on YouTube, and like the vid you posted the contestants have a bit more intensity to them.

this is why I wondered if I should know who this guy is, because this event was much more relaxed...

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
For some more contrast, then, here's an excellent 100-man kumite, that of Hajime Kazumi. While the quality of technique is a bit higher throughout, and he's obviously in much better shape, that relaxed atmosphere you speak of is still present....

(Note as well, how he's getting pretty much peppered at will after 75 or so....)

And here's what's probably the best 100-man kumite available on the internet, that of Akira Masuda (better even than Matsui, who set the one-day standard):

the 100-man kumite highlights start at 05:00 in....

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Oh, and Kelly Leo fought in K-1........though not particularly notably, and probably a few thousand sandwiches ago.....:lfao:....... He's got a good sense of humor, though!! :lfao:

Latest Discussions