In honor of Atlas Shrugged, the movie

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since Atlas Shrugged is coming out Friday (perhaps where you live it is already friday), here is one of my favorite parts of the book.

http://criticalpolitics.wordpress.com/2009/07/08/atlas-shrugged-money-is-the-root-of-all-good/

this is the discussion of money being the root of all good:

---“To trade by means of money is the code of the men of good will. Money rests on the axiom that every man is the owner of his mind and his effort.

---Money is a tool of exchange, which can’t exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value. Money is not the tool of the moochers, who claim your product by tears, or of the looters, who take it from you by force. Money is made possible only by the men who produce. Is this what you consider evil?

---“Run for your life from any man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper’s bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another–their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun.”

---“If you ask me to name the proudest distinction of Americans, I would choose—because it contains all the others—the fact that they were the people who created the phrase ‘to make money.’ No other language or nation had ever used these words before; men had always thought of wealth as a static quantity—to be seized, begged, inherited, shared, looted or obtained as a favor. Americans were the first to understand that wealth has to be created. The words ‘to make money’ hold the essence of human morality.

“Yet these were the words for which Americans were denounced by the rotted cultures of the looters’ continents. Now the looters credo had brought you to regard your proudest achievements as the hallmark of shame, your prosperity as guilt, your greatest men, the industrialists, as blackguards, and your magnificent factories as the product and property of muscular labor, the labor of whip-driven slaves, like the pyramids of Egypt. The rotter who simpers that he sees not difference between the power of the dollar and the power of the whip, ought to learn the difference on his own hide—as, I think, he will.

Last edited:

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's this Friday? They are doing one hell of a job promoting it. Only thing I'm thinking of is Game Of Thrones on Sunday, reread the first book this past weekend to get myself reacquainted.

As for AS, I'll have to see it ASAP. Though I'm not as giddy with excitement I thought I would be about an AS movie, though it is only the first third of the book.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah Omar, I'm with ya :)

But as far as Atlas Shrugged goes, I will do my best to get out this weekend to see it.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been checking around to see where it's playing here. Which would be nowhere near.

Jeff

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can't help but think this movie will be a propaganda piece for the high speed rail boondoggle. Is there a way to find out if Hill & Knowlton involved at all?

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can't help but think this movie will be a propaganda piece for the high speed rail boondoggle. Is there a way to find out if Hill & Knowlton involved at all?

Atlas Shrugged as a propaganda piece for a publicly-funded transportation project? Irony-rich.

Latest Discussions