loss of techniques inmordern tournaments

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do you think with the rules in modern "karate" tournaments that techniques are being lost or at least taught less?
If you old enough to remember the tournaments of the 60's and 70's I'm sure you will know what I'm talking about. Even then the open hand techniques to the face where being frowned on and taught less in schools.
I can think of more than a few techniques that where once taught and allowed in tournaments and many that where taught but never allowed in tournaments ( in this country) but where still taught in class back 30 or 40 years ago.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I could talk about this at great lengths. (so what else is new for a big mouth?)
Yes, I think there are some techniques that aren't being taught like they used to - in dojos that compete. I don't know if the same is true for dojos that don't care about any competition.

But what troubles me more is the style of fighting from the elimination of those techniques. It's more tag football than tackle football. Even being an old fart, if I went to a karate competition and fought like I always have, I'd probably be arrested for assault. That's just plain crazy.
From what I've watched several times over the past five years, there isn't any flow to fighters anymore. You can't sweep - which beside being an opening technique for a rush, you can't throw one WHILE IN a rush, when you have your opponent off balance, trying to evade or counter.

Some tournaments (not sure if all) they have this ridiculous "one leg hopping thing" where a competitor will raise a leg up high and skip along on his base leg throwing.....I guess they're supposed to be kicks. An opponent can't kick him in the groin like he deserves for being such a clown, can't just rush him, slam him to the floor and smack him, also like he deserves. Or just take his head off in the first place for the insult. I'm not sure if competitors train like that in their dojo, my guess is they don't, but I don't know.

It used to be if a strike landed, it had to be of sufficient quality that it could have croaked you if it wasn't controlled. Now, a punch can be at full extension and be called a point, or anything that remotely touches your head, or even LOOKS like it MIGHT have touched your head, will be called. That's like playing baseball and calling every foul ball a home run. Or calling a swing and a miss a hit, because, hey, it came really close, dude. You can't slip a punch in Karate tournaments anymore, if you do it properly, they will call your beautiful slip a point for the other guy, because YOU MADE HIM MISS. It used to be that strikes came in bunches, in combos, and one had to really stand out to be called. Now, from what little I've seen, it's a one technique at a time.

Sometimes I wonder who was ultimately responsible for this. Maybe it's the (insert style here) people who are trying to eliminate Karate all together. (that was a joke) :)

You mark my words, because you heard it here first - twenty five years from now karate tournaments will be held from the safety of your own home. Matches will be held on line with joy sticks. The worst part is you think I'm kidding with that. I ain't.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The hopping thing is presumably them throwing a fake. So that "kick" isn't for a point - it's the one after.

Anyhow, nothing beats no-contact sparring tournaments, where you apparently lose points if you hit the other person. :confused:

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I miss being able to grab the opponents gi and punch him a few times.
Ah sweeps and throws nope cant use them any more some one might get hurt
What ever happened to dropping on the floor and throwing that upward thrust kick to the groin
OH thats right no more groin kicks or attacks

I know there are still more that are not allowed in tournaments and I do wonder what the heck is being taught in many schools these days

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I miss being able to grab the opponents gi and punch him a few times.
Ah sweeps and throws nope cant use them any more some one might get hurt
What ever happened to dropping on the floor and throwing that upward thrust kick to the groin
OH thats right no more groin kicks or attacks

I know there are still more that are not allowed in tournaments and I do wonder what the heck is being taught in many schools these days

That first one you mentioned, about grabbing the gi and punching him a few times - awesome, one of my favorite techniques both in and out of the ring. I didn't realize it wasn't allowed anymore. What a damn shame.

That drop kick under and up to the groin....loved it.

The first tournament I ever saw was at the old Boston Arena in 70 or 71. It was held in a 16 foot boxing ring, elevated about neck high off the floor. It was a "traditional karate" tournament with traditional, white gi'd competitors. There were no gloves, there were no shin or arm pads, there were competitors from all over the place and several different countries. It was one of the most beautifully violent things I have ever witnessed. Nasty, bloody, face beating, hard *** banging, no questions about any sort of contact being too hard or too dangerous - it was, after all, fighting.
It scared the ever lovin' crap out of me, but I was in love. I believe it's the way fighting should be.

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The lack of responses here makes me wonder how many participated years ago and what was being taught in many schools back then.
I know if you never saw old time tournaments or old time teaching you might not anything to judge todays schools and tournaments on but I would think some schools would still be teaching and allowing in school sparring with techniques that are not allowed in tournaments.
When was the last time anyone even saw a shuto thrown in a tournament. I know most tournaments do not allow palm heel strikes, or elbow techniques. These things are still taught today or are they

Latest Discussions