improving focus for sparring?

TKDHermit

Green Belt
Reaction score
i blew my first ever sparring tournament [WTF-style] 17-0 on sunday. I didnt know what the hell i was doing. My kicks just softened up, leading me to a score of 0. It's like i went back to my first-ever sparring lesson, frozen up, not shifting etc. I just wasnt focused at all, but i dont know what i was distracted by. My eyes just couldn't read any movements, they were sort of "roaming around". Even when I saw my opponent charging in, I blanked out. My opponent was taller and bigger than me [i m fat, fighting +87kg category, at about 170cm, so thats quite short], so he could get my head easier than i could get his. in fact i cant even reach his head! and due to my hogu [i wore the minimum required size for heavyweights [4] already] i couldnt lift my knee up to my above my stomach level unless i leaned back so i had difficulty hitting his hogu, kept hitting below it D:

so, any tips for improving my focus during a match so i wouldnt get lost [assumingly under pressure]? oh and a side question, how to increase power output for a slide-in front-leg roundhouse kick? any other opinions are welcome as well. Since a loss is a loss, might as well make it worthwhile.

Thanks.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
i blew my first ever sparring tournament [WTF-style] 17-0 on sunday. I didnt know what the hell i was doing. My kicks just softened up, leading me to a score of 0. It's like i went back to my first-ever sparring lesson, frozen up, not shifting etc. I just wasnt focused at all, but i dont know what i was distracted by. My eyes just couldn't read any movements, they were sort of "roaming around". Even when I saw my opponent charging in, I blanked out. My opponent was taller and bigger than me [i m fat, fighting +87kg category, at about 170cm, so thats quite short], so he could get my head easier than i could get his. in fact i cant even reach his head! and due to my hogu [i wore the minimum required size for heavyweights [4] already] i couldnt lift my knee up to my above my stomach level unless i leaned back so i had difficulty hitting his hogu, kept hitting below it D:

so, any tips for improving my focus during a match so i wouldnt get lost [assumingly under pressure]? oh and a side question, how to increase power output for a slide-in front-leg roundhouse kick? any other opinions are welcome as well. Since a loss is a loss, might as well make it worthwhile.

Thanks.
You just met one of the effects of stress. Even though sparring in class may be a routine thing for you -- it was different in a tournament.

It's normal. The best cure is to get out there and experience more tournaments. A second best is to duplicate as much of the tournament as you reasonably can in training; train in full uniform, with the same style of sparring gear, under the same rules and so on.

Ironcrane

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Your first tournament is usually where everything goes wrong. In one of my tournaments I was beaten in sparing 9-1, and ended up being made fun of by half the people there. So you're not the only one who has had trouble.

And as for more powerful round kicks. Round kicks that are driven with the hip are much more powerful then the round kicks that use the snapping with the knee. So I'd suggest using your hips to launch round kicks.

OP
T

TKDHermit

Green Belt
Reaction score
Your first tournament is usually where everything goes wrong. In one of my tournaments I was beaten in sparing 9-1, and ended up being made fun of by half the people there. So you're not the only one who has had trouble.

And as for more powerful round kicks. Round kicks that are driven with the hip are much more powerful then the round kicks that use the snapping with the knee. So I'd suggest using your hips to launch round kicks.

Ehh.. but how do u launch front-leg round kicks with the hips? my back leg round kicks have enough power, but not enough speed. my front leg round is the other way round =\

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
not sure how long you have been training, but sounds like you just need more time in the ring. Either ring rust or nerves got the best of you. It happens. All I can suggest is get back in there again and agian. Class is not the same as a tournament. People you dont know watching can do its toll on you. the only way to get past it is do it again.... and again.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fight more tournaments. Spar more. There's no substitute for experience.

Peace,
Erik

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
ya know my students went thru the same thing. So I wanted to buy the eletronic scoring system for the school until I saw the price. After looking on the net I found this trial shareware scoring system. I then paid for it to get the full program. I use PS2 game controllers and the system works great. My students get the feel for what it is like in the ring and how to score a match. The parents and adults love it too. I cool to watch! And with the laptop and moniter I already have all I had to buy was the program for $20.00, the PS2 controllers 3 for $75.00. Cheap!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
everybody goes though something like that, just keep moving forward, you will get better.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, the 1st tourney is a learning experiment. First one I went to I had about 5 hours of bad sleep and a day to lounge at the gym before my turn came. I was so tired, it wasn't even funney. Good for my form, but lousy for my sparring.

The thing is, the next time I knew what I had to expect and was able to prepare better for it. You will now, too.

The deal is, if you can't hit the head, aim for something else. I have never worn a hogu, but they look cumbersome to me. So when you prepare to gou out train a lot with that thing around your middle, not just sparring, so you won't even notice it being there.

As to focus...you really have to make yourself clear that this is a fun event (ok, a tough sell when you get knocked on the ground and see stars, I know) but it's not a rank test. if you do good you get a medal or cheap trophy yoou can buy at home for a fraction at any trophy store...it's fun to go there, see things, smell the air and hear the atmosphere. You go there, play some games, eat something, play some more, meet old friends, make new ones. Like a big picnic. In the end you go home, battered and bruised, with a ton of things to tell your kids, regardles if you get to hug the 1 buck 50 trophy on the ride home.

It helps me to watch the previous rounds of sparring, should I get matched up with one of the competitors in a later round (I never watch forms before I compete). Then I set a gameplan. Of course, it does not work out most of the time, but hey, you gotta make that brain work or it goes gaga.

Once you bow in, fix your eyes - in a soft way - onto the opponent's head/shoulder region. Much of what we do is telegraphed through there, even legs.

But most of all, have fun.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ehh.. but how do u launch front-leg round kicks with the hips? my back leg round kicks have enough power, but not enough speed. my front leg round is the other way round =\
Raise your knee, then crank the hips over. The kick happens almost automatically when you do that.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well I guess this thread is just as good as any for my 500th post (Yaay me...I am now a BB)

Anyways back to the issue. There are a few things going on here.

1. You need more experience. You will get better. So pick yourself up and dust off and get back in the ring.
2. You need to train more. The more you train the more you will instinctively move and not need to think. Muscle memory is what it is called.
3. Train to attack. All of your training in the beginning should be centered on attacking. You should always be moving forward and you need to always be first with your attacks. Defending comes second and is easier to do so only worry about being aggressive and attack and apply pressure.
4. Train. train, train, and then train some more.
You will be fine. Everyone loses. Just use it as a learning experience. Learn one thing from every match and you will soon be on your way to winning.

Oh yea for the fast (front leg round house) kick, just practice bringing the kneed up at a 45 degree angle and then pushing the hip with the snap of the knee at the same time. You do need the hip for power on this kick. You Sabunim should be able to demonstrate this for you to see it and understand better. Just ask him or any other instructor in your class for help with this. If they do not know then RUN!!!