I'm fat now

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To be fair I used to do a lot of weights. I was thin then.

I sincerely hope you read @MetalBoar 's post. Nail on the head. I would add that I assume you are posting on a MA forum because you are new to MA and have certain expectations from it. Nothing wrong with that. But a fact you need to grasp is that it will only be whatever you make it. I get the sense you are riding the high side of an emotional roller coaster that we all get on sometimes. Some handle the ride easier than others.
The best two suggestions I can give you is:
#1 - Make a plan.
#2 - Expect the plan to change. In other words there is no concrete blanket answer no matter who the advise comes from. The main thing is to start (which you have done). Then keep going. And going, and going. Like most things in life it is the marathon not the sprint you are working on. So ride the highs and get all you can out of them. Get help, to help you grind through the lows. Yout got this. Stay in touch and let us know how things are going.

Oni_Kadaki

Green Belt
Reaction score
Should I just do as much training as possible? Shall I do a bit of gym work? Start an extra art or two to get my body moving in different ways? Should I just not go to the pub again ever? I don't do running. But apart from that I'm open to anything.

Yes.

On a more helpful note, I personally like training in multiple arts, but I would recommend limiting it to one additional unless you are really, really solid in your primary. As far as other exercise goes, as you describe yourself as a"bit of a porker," I'd go with a lot of low-impact cardio (e.g. bike, swimming) and calisthenics that do not involve jumping (e.g. not burpees) to get yourself back into fighting shape. Even if you are inclined to run (which you seem to be not), running magnifies the pressure of your body weight on your joints, and I can only imagine jumping exercises put similar stress on them.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
the other issue with diets, is they ( nearly) all work and most people fail, because when they stop doing what ever was a significant part of their weight loss. diet and or exercise. a they put the weight back on again, its so common it seems almost inevitable.

therefore what ever your doing needs to be sustainable long term as you need to do it for " ever" picking an exercise program you won't have either the time or the enthusiasm for in 3 months, is pointless, diets that starve you of carbs and or proteen, will just make you ill if done for more than a few weeks and then you need to go back on them, which puts your weight back on

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Weighed myself. 105 kilos. I used to be 70.

That's okay. If you stay at it you'll be posting "I weighed myself. 72 Kilos. I used to be 105."

Heck, I used to be seven pounds, six ounces. :)

Stay at it, brother. No worry bout no stinking scales.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
the other issue with diets, is they ( nearly) all work and most people fail, because when they stop doing what ever was a significant part of their weight loss. diet and or exercise. a they put the weight back on again, its so common it seems almost inevitable.

therefore what ever your doing needs to be sustainable long term as you need to do it for " ever" picking an exercise program you won't have either the time or the enthusiasm for in 3 months, is pointless, diets that starve you of carbs and or proteen, will just make you ill if done for more than a few weeks and then you need to go back on them, which puts your weight back on

Or alternatively diet is mostly a will game. You have to get on it and stay on it.

And that grind is unfortunately a reality of weight loss.

Which sounds like the same thing but isn't.

Find a lifestyle you can sustain.
Or
Create the mental strength to sustain the lifestyle you want.

Last edited:

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The following is part of an email that I received from my teacher, I kept this email as a reminder when I start to become fanatical.

Work, hard, train hard, have faith, but don't be too fanatical about any of it.

Yes there are benefits to being hugely focussed, but like anything there are drawbacks.

Fanaticism can bring a level of tension and stress that is unhealthy and even dangerous. Being too fanatical brings a mental tension to you that quickly becomes emotional and then physical.

By its nature tension is restricting on your freedom of movement, thinking and feeling.

Yes you may be over weight, but you are doing something about it. Trust in your training, don't let the weight loss be your only goal.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Agree.

You need a weight-loss plan, and a new diet after you get to where you want to be. They aren't the same thing, but probably closely related. What you can't do is go back to what you did before.

OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hang in there and keep swing. I hope you are getting good motivation from posting on the forum.

I'm motivated now. If I lose a kilo a week I'll be 85 kilos by Christmas. If I get under 90 I'll be happy with that progress.

I got really fat before and shifted it all. Twice.

So I can do it again. :cool:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
177cm so I'm actually obese. :(
that's not to bad, you should be down around 200 lbs by Christmas,, but a very fit 200 lbs, beach body ready by this time next year

take some before shots now, so you can remember what you looked like and can impress us

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm motivated now. If I lose a kilo a week I'll be 85 kilos by Christmas. If I get under 90 I'll be happy with that progress.

I got really fat before and shifted it all. Twice.

So I can do it again. :cool:

why are you metric, you won't lose a kg a week, maybe fdo the first few weeks, remember what I said about realistic goals, ,a pound a week is a good level, you can't metabolize fat more quicklye than that,much more than that and its muscle your losing rather than fat

Last edited:

Invisibleflash

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Born in L.A.-NYC is 2nd home-Rustbelt is home base
Basically I've just started back doing martial arts because I went a bit mental and stopped doing things I like and went to the pub and lay around in bed instead.

Now I've managed to overcome my mind telling me not to do stuff because there is no point, I've turned into a bit of a porker.

Now how would people suggest I shift the gut? My diet isn't massively bad when I remove the beer. When I remove the beer I remove the cravings for pizza after beer.

Not that I was drinking a massive amount but it was almost every day and it adds up.

Should I just do as much training as possible? Shall I do a bit of gym work? Start an extra art or two to get my body moving in different ways? Should I just not go to the pub again ever? I don't do running. But apart from that I'm open to anything.

Same boat, just older and different junk foods. No rocket science, gotta cut calories and up the exercise and training. I put on 60 pounds of pure fat. Lottsa damage to fix.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Agree.

You need a weight-loss plan, and a new diet after you get to where you want to be. They aren't the same thing, but probably closely related. What you can't do is go back to what you did before.
yes maybe not exact but very much the same, you can eat vasts amounts of simple carbs,(vegetables, ) a fair amount of meat( you need to proteen if your going to build muscle) and even a bit of fat, as none of these are converted substantially to fat, it complex carbs and sugar that are th villains of the piece.

as exercise has the effect of soaking up carbs in the muscles as glucose and that glucose is needed for exercise, you can and should eat a reasonable amount of them, the difficulty is how much, to much and your still gaining fat to little and you can't replenish your glucose and fall over while exercising( or at least get very lethargic). but with in that you can have a fairly good and enjoyable diet with out undue levels of deprevation

once you've established what the level is for you, then that's very much the same level you need to carry forward for ever

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why are you metric, you won't lose a kg a week, maybe fdo the first few weeks, remember what I said about realistic goals, ,a pound a week is a good level, you can't metabolize fat more quicklye than that,much more than that and its muscle your losing rather than fat
And if you're adding in strength work, muscle mass should go up some, making "weight loss" an unreliable measure of progress.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same boat, just older and different junk foods. No rocket science, gotta cut calories and up the exercise and training. I put on 60 pounds of pure fat. Lottsa damage to fix.
That's an easy boat to get into as we age. Activity level often drops, we get busier (which can lead to more "convenience" eating), and some natural drop-off in metabolism.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And if you're adding in strength work, muscle mass should go up some, making "weight loss" an unreliable measure of progress.
year, its conversation I KEEP having with my sister, who has been doing the 5 k challenge, so no really " strength" work, after some impressive weight loss in the first couple of months or so, her weights has been staying stubbornly static, whilst the fat is clearly melting a way, and her muscle tone is improving tremendously.

it doesn't matter how often I tell her how slim she looks and how the muscles are bigger and storing more glucose and water and she has increased the amount of blood in her system, the "scales don't lie" and sh is getting discouraged that's despite the more obvious evidence that she has dad to buy new clothes in a smaller size. it's a very ingrained belief and leads to very dysfunction eating habits,

Last edited:

Latest Discussions