Video clip survey: How to define Martial Arts and Combat Sports?

Martin Meyer

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello,
I am currently working on a scientific article which deals with the question:

How to define martial arts and combat sports?

For this, I set up a study. Participants are asked to evaluate fifty very short (around 15 seconds each) fighting videos. Trust me: It is really fun to do and it will make you reflect about your own about martial arts definition.
It would be excellent if you could participate! Please share!
Link: Questionnaire

Best regards,
Dr. Martin Meyer, University of Vechta

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk, Doc.

Survey completed.

I'm going to P.M you with some info so as to not influence anybody.

P.S. That was kind of fun. At least as surveys go.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That was cool.

I really wish I could discuss some of those videos, but like buka don't want to influence any future surveyers. I will say one thing though- I'm curious about some of the videos; I clicked the youtube links for a few, but no info was listed there either. @Martin Meyer if you have a list of what each was a video of, and are willing to PM them to me, I would really appreciate it.

OP
Martin Meyer

Martin Meyer

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you guys for participating!
@Buka I have replied to your PM
@kempodisciple I will send you the list ASAP. The videos have no further information and no sound b/c I edited them this way to not influence participants.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, that was fun, as well as thought provoking.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am currently working on a scientific article which deals with the question:

How to define martial arts and combat sports?

For this, I set up a study. Participants are asked to evaluate fifty very short (around 15 seconds each) fighting videos. Trust me: It is really fun to do and it will make you reflect about your own about martial arts definition.
It would be excellent if you could participate! Please share!
Link: Questionnaire

Best regards,
Dr. Martin Meyer, University of Vechta
The survey failed partway through (less than 50%, I think) - couldn't get back into it.

OP
Martin Meyer

Martin Meyer

White Belt
Reaction score
@Kung Fu Wang Thank you for your support!
@Danny T I know it is not easy to categorize several clips. But if I have asked participants: »How do you define MA?«, I would have had more than a hundred different descriptions. The clips are that short to prevent influencing your impression. That also why there aren't any titles or style names. I hope you understand! Thank you for participating!
@gpseymour I am sorry about that. In a few cases the site is crashing, but I don't know any reasons nor I am able to fix that. Thank you nevertheless!

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
i enjoyed that. i would have liked to have had one or two more choices. some things are a replica or a portrayal of something but not the thing itself so how i perceive that portrayal may not have been the same intent as the creator of the quiz. i think there are some clips that both the creators and the martial arts viewer will not understand or be familiar with what they are seeing, causing a false perception. so i find that interesting and how that will be played out in the final analysis.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Very cool. Lots of interesting edge cases. I would also like the list of original sources for the clips.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
@Kung Fu Wang Thank you for your support!
@Danny T I know it is not easy to categorize several clips. But if I have asked participants: »How do you define MA?«, I would have had more than a hundred different descriptions. The clips are that short to prevent influencing your impression. That also why there aren't any titles or style names. I hope you understand! Thank you for participating!
@gpseymour I am sorry about that. In a few cases the site is crashing, but I don't know any reasons nor I am able to fix that. Thank you nevertheless!
Welcome sir.
I understand. It's just some are gray areas. Asking if a scene from a movie is a martial art or combat sport is a no for me but is certainly ma themed. Same as some competitions and entertainments; though themed as a MA or a sport they really aren't.

OP
Martin Meyer

Martin Meyer

White Belt
Reaction score
@hoshin1600 You're absolutey right, sir. It was very difficult to choose appropiate clips, which are short, informatory but not too much implicatory. Also, the number of clips has to be not too long to scare away participants.
@dvcochran Thank you, sir!
@Danny T The movie clips from Crouching Tiger, Last Samurai and Jackie Chan are difficult, yes. Several people seem to rate this clips solely based on the fact that these are from movies.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Huh. My assumption with the movie clips was that it was to see how martial artists viewed those compared to nonmartial artists.

Last edited:
OP
Martin Meyer

Martin Meyer

White Belt
Reaction score
@kempodisciple Yeah, this is part of the research question. But the main question is how our definition of martial arts is structured and where is the "border" of martial arts (if there is one).

D

Deleted member 39746

I somewhat died after that first video though.

I have cockhanded definition of both and martial arts can have a combat sport in them. And unless i wasnt meant to i didnt just use the clip if i knew what style was in question. :p

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I read the description of the survey, I was like "this will be easy."
By about the 3rd video I was like "oh this is good."

When can we discuss the specific videos? I'd also like the links, if you can send them to me.

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Took the test. That was rather interesting. Based off my percieved definition of what a combat sport vs. Martial art is, each clip was unique which requires a different interpretation. Some clips were definitely in the gray area.

Latest Discussions