Flexibility issues

djones

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been doing Muay Thai now for about 3 months. I really like it but have found a massive limitation.... my flexibility!!!

I have never been flexible, since being a child (im now 26) I have not been able to touch my toes, indeed I'm about 7 inches off!!!

At Muay Thai we do quite a bit of stretching before the session and also as a cool down but it doesn't seem to be helping in terms of making my body (just legs really) more flexible.

Can anybody give me some idea about what I can do to try sort this out?

I have even considered going to something like Yoga or Pilates but I'm not sure if this would have the desired effect.

Any help is much appretiated!!!

Thanks in advance

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
First of all after about 3 months, don't expect much. All that'll really happen is you'll lose flexiblty less quickly (yes, you do lose flexibilty, even if you never had it). After a couple months, you'll begin to deadline. Not getting more or less flexible. You're probably just past this point. You're going to get more flexible in the next few months. By this time next year you should be just about to toe-touching. If you want any more help talk to your instructor.
If you really want some serious help, go ahead with yoga. It'll develop some serious flexibitly and some unique stength gains that you could use in Muay Thai matches, if thats what you're into. But if I were you, I would avoid pilates. It works, but it's become very commercialized. A bit more then yoga has, anyways.
good luck, and keep us informed

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
First of all after about 3 months, don't expect much. All that'll really happen is you'll lose flexiblty less quickly (yes, you do lose flexibilty, even if you never had it). After a couple months, you'll begin to deadline. Not getting more or less flexible. You're probably just past this point. You're going to get more flexible in the next few months. By this time next year you should be just about to toe-touching. If you want any more help talk to your instructor.
If you really want some serious help, go ahead with yoga. It'll develop some serious flexibitly and some unique stength gains that you could use in Muay Thai matches, if thats what you're into. But if I were you, I would avoid pilates. It works, but it's become very commercialized. A bit more then yoga has, anyways.
good luck, and keep us informed

Yep. Not much to add to that. Warm up easy, stretch, work out, stretch while you cool down.

10,000 Hit Combo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This might be bad news but I have some info seeing as I'm in a similar boat. I've been taking martial arts for over a decade and still can't touch my toes. I can touch them one at a time but if I try to touch both at the same time (with my feet together) it pulls on my sciatic nerve. Do what you can and don't overdo anything due to frustartion. Never limit yourself but understand that some people never get the ability to touch their toes. I know after a decade I'm couple inches closer though. Keep at it but learn to work with it. Kicks are usually better low anyway. Just my speil.

10,000 Hit Combo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The best training I've found is partner stretching. Up against a wall and ankle on someone's shoulder. Have them raise up a little until you get minimal stretch and push your leg dow for five seconds, relax, push for five seconds again, relax, push for ten seconds, carefully drop the leg back to the floor, shake it out, switch legs. Repeat for side kicks and back kicks. Make sure you keep your back as straight as possible. Then move to the floor stretches. One puts their feet on the inside of the others ankles, lock wrists, pull toward the person on the inside. To the , 5, 5, 10 second thing and trade. Then split while sitting, have someone with their back against yours and have them push against you and rise until they are laying on your back. 5, 5, 10 and switch. There's also the "cargo butterlfy" where you sit on the floor with your feet together in front of you and grab your toes. Have your partner stand on your knees. I've found this one to put extreme lateral pressure on the sides of my knees though so be extra carefull with this one. Stretch first thing in the morning (before breakfast) after you do a quick warm-up even if you have to get up earlier. Another one I've never tried because of the difficulty(and my lack of a bath tub) is to soak in a bathtub full of ice and water, keeping your legs stretched as you soak, I'm not sure for how long. Some people have sworn by this so it's definitely worth looking into. I wonder if holding some frozen vegetables against the stretched muscle would work too. If you need a day off from working out, make sure you still warm-up, stretch and cool down. Just don't overdo it or it'll take FOREVER. Try some hacky-sack too. It's the perfect warm-up for me.

Latest Discussions