I'm creating an upcoming Jow Ga Kung Fu Lesson

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Many Karate systems emphasize "drop opponent by one punch".
This is an ideal some schools of thought may strive for, but I think it is mostly just that, an ideal. I would say it's a result of stressing the "do" of karate-do, rather than the more realistic tactics of karate-jutsu. By this I mean that the philosophical approach of perfection of technique and spirit (courage, commitment, etc.) is the main goal to lead to self-development, thus striving for the perfectly timed and executed punch.

This outlook is typical of Shotokan, a style mostly developed for this purpose in the school system. This is an admirable goal and develops some good attributes in the practitioner. But, like a one-punch knockout in boxing, it's impressive, but hardly the norm in actual combat.

More often, a series of moves are needed to set up and lead to the big punch, especially against a mobile experienced opponent. Feints, sweeps, movement, traps, grabs, checks and tactics to move the opponent out of position are often needed to open the opponent to a strike. Not to mention counter punching after/during blocking, as opposed to a clean "stop hit."

Both the do and jutsu approaches have their value - it just depends on the practitioner's individual goal. (Maybe "sport" karate lies in-between them, somewhere.) They are mostly, but not completely, mutually exclusive, IMO. I have switched to a "one punch" Shotokan style attack as a surprise change-up in sparring and it's quite effective used that way, catching the opponent off-guard. But I still view them as two different approaches to the art of karate.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will start a new student tomorrow. Instead of using depth first approach, I will try the breadth first approach this time.

I think most beginner students may like the breadth first approach better.
I find it’s a balancing act. Many do tend to like getting some breadth early, but it’s hard to learn early without some depth, and too much breadth feels like drinking from a fire hose. I have to guard myself from giving them too much too quickly, because I get impatient (with the pace of teaching, not with their pace of learning).

Latest Discussions