"I'm better than you are!"

Ian Kinder

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What ever you do, do not do the following: When they swing, pass and trap and climb up their arm until you have a choke around their neck and also for the mental efect, cover their mouth and nose with your hand. Pinch off the nose and squeeze tight. While this is going on drag them backwards and wisper into their ears. "When you are out, I will have my way with you. Just relax, let it go, it is easier that way. Do not fight it. "

Hey, I thought that was just a bad dream. But now that I think about it, it was the first time that I turned my back on Rich…

(Beat you to it Paul)

OP
Kennedy_Shogen_Ryu

Kennedy_Shogen_Ryu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Bit of an update:

Was at work tonight and I took some of your suggestions. I started asking him, what was the school you trained at, how was your instructor, what was your style etc etc. He told me that it had been too long ago and he couldn't remember, right there the little bell in my head went off. I asked him if it was the Tae Kwon Do system of Karate that was founded by the tall monk...ok get this his response..."yeah yeah I'm pretty sure that's the one". He then told me he had trained with one of Bruce Lee's students (Heh Bruce Lee, nice name drop) and started telling me he'd gone from school to school but always found he was too good to stay and train.

So I asked him, "I have a class tomorrow night, why not come show us all some of your stuff?" He kind of hummed and hawed but finally agreed. So I guess we'll see what happens now!

runnerninja

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yeah I have a few mates who are bouncers purely for the fact that they are big(where I come from a lot of bouncers are on some sort of ego trip cos of their job). They dont know anything about martial arts and are adament that knowing a martial art is a waste of time. Apparently its the strongest man that will win a fight(their measure of a man is how many times he can lift a beer keg above his head!!). Anyway, since taking up taijutsu I havnt bothered mentioning that im doing it to them purely for the fact that I would have to listen to them go on about how its a waste of time. I have only told a few other mates who dont really have an opinion either way. They think its good but have no interest in taking it up themselves. Its not that im keeping it a secret, I just dont see the point in broadcasting it because I know how people can be when they hear things like that.

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So I asked him, "I have a class tomorrow night, why not come show us all some of your stuff?" He kind of hummed and hawed but finally agreed. So I guess we'll see what happens now!

Oh, this is going to be interesting!!! Please do update us all next time you are online!!!

:)

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I had this one thing happen at work. I was working for a car dealer ship.
everyone there new I was training in martial arts and i love it.
I had this one guy at work who was a salesman like me. well there really is no rules when selling cars and how you treat each other at this dealer ship. the total amount of cars out is what the boss cares about.

So I bring in a deal and place it on the desk. this other guy comes in and pushes mine off the desk and tells the finance person to do his over mine.
I LOL and said no I was here first so you need to wait. He then grabs my wrist and trys to put pressure on it. I then shift and put him into a lock.
He goes to the ground ( in pain ) people in the area that work there come running in. yelling break his wrist and other things. I start talking to him
as he is telling me how he is going to kick my @@@. Now he is still on the ground in pain. So I tell him Do not ever touch me again. I help him out the door as I turned the lock into a throw. I turn and close the door and get my deal done and my people out in there new car.

kosho

he and I became ok with each other after that day...

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think you have a responsibility to your manager to let him know that he may be in violation of the child labor laws.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bit of an update:

Was at work tonight and I took some of your suggestions. I started asking him, what was the school you trained at, how was your instructor, what was your style etc etc. He told me that it had been too long ago and he couldn't remember, right there the little bell in my head went off. I asked him if it was the Tae Kwon Do system of Karate that was founded by the tall monk...ok get this his response..."yeah yeah I'm pretty sure that's the one". He then told me he had trained with one of Bruce Lee's students (Heh Bruce Lee, nice name drop) and started telling me he'd gone from school to school but always found he was too good to stay and train.

Now you've opened an unlabeled can of worms. What if this guy is just hell-bent on hurting you?

*shakes head*

Good luck. And ... practice your weapons defense techniques.

bigfootsquatch

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Whoever didn't like "my advice" should explain to me why they didnt rather than leaving silly rep points. That way we can talk about it and debate it out :asian:

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In the event of an "anything-you-can-do-I-can-do-better" type challenge, you could respond in a similarly childish manner "...cannot, cannot...liar, liar pants on fire..."

Or just invite them in and let them make a fool out of themselves anyway...

I see shades of Ed Gruberman again.

I have received some negative rep for this comment...I'd presume from a newer member who hasn't read any of my other posts or possibly from someone who doesn't understand sarcasm.

Either way, relax and it'll be easier to reverse your rectal-cranial inversion.

Edit: I just responded and then noticed bigfoot had a similar issue...

OP
Kennedy_Shogen_Ryu

Kennedy_Shogen_Ryu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The young man in question actually did show up for training (albeit he was 10 minutes late)

I asked him if he would like to come up to the front of the class and assist me. He got this kind of "not-so-sure" look on his face but nodded and came to the front. So first I asked him (and I added since he had so much experience) if he could demonstrate a good horse stance. He kind of hesitated for a second, then told me that the styles that he trained in didn't believe in stances when training.
I then asked if he'd like to demonstrate some of his punches for us. So he got into a very weak looking fighting stance and threw a couple of jabs that would make a blind boxer tear-up.
I asked him to join the rest of the class and said we would do a bit of a warm-up. Within 5 minutes he was drenched with sweat and looked like he was going to vomit.
Then it came time to spar. I told him that I would spar with him (mainly because I have the most amount of control in class and by now had figured he was a phony).
So, we started sparring, I asked him to show me some of his fighting style, I said at first I would only block and wouldn't counter. After about 5 min of him not even being able to get close to me I told him we would switch spots. I'll save you all the grizzly details but needless to say I don't think he blocked one punch or kick that came his way.
At the end of class I had everyone lined up and gave a little 'speech' if you will about how there are a lot of people in the world who like to brag about having martial prowess when 9 times out of 10 they've never even set foot in a martial arts school. One of my students asked me what I would do if such a person came up to me and challenged me. I simply replied ask the gentleman who trained with us today.
Unfortunately my challenger left before I got a chance to talk to him again, I just hope I wasn't too harsh on him.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Uh-hu. We see very clearly now that "Mr. Fancy" is nothing but talk!
If he goes about challenging people like he did you, he may not get off so easy next time!

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've done it a couple ways depending on the situation.

Usually I just say "Yep, you probably could."

When they start going "What if" I usually say "There's a lot of things I might do, but I don't know what would happen. The only way we'll find out is do it and see."
Exactly. I get this from street 'kids' all the time, and this is pretty much the template for how I handle it. So far no one has chosen to 'do it and see.' But that may just be luck. :D Whatever the reason, I have a feeling it'll keep working.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
At the end of class I had everyone lined up and gave a little 'speech' if you will about how there are a lot of people in the world who like to brag about having martial prowess when 9 times out of 10 they've never even set foot in a martial arts school. One of my students asked me what I would do if such a person came up to me and challenged me. I simply replied ask the gentleman who trained with us today.
Unfortunately my challenger left before I got a chance to talk to him again, I just hope I wasn't too harsh on him.

This is an great way to finish up. And you were not harsh at all. We all need to remember that, not so many years ago, he would have run a high risk of beingseriously injured if he showed up after issuing a challenge.

Hats off to you for how you handled the situation.
icon14.gif

bigfootsquatch

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The young man in question actually did show up for training (albeit he was 10 minutes late)

I asked him if he would like to come up to the front of the class and assist me. He got this kind of "not-so-sure" look on his face but nodded and came to the front. So first I asked him (and I added since he had so much experience) if he could demonstrate a good horse stance. He kind of hesitated for a second, then told me that the styles that he trained in didn't believe in stances when training.
I then asked if he'd like to demonstrate some of his punches for us. So he got into a very weak looking fighting stance and threw a couple of jabs that would make a blind boxer tear-up.
I asked him to join the rest of the class and said we would do a bit of a warm-up. Within 5 minutes he was drenched with sweat and looked like he was going to vomit.
Then it came time to spar. I told him that I would spar with him (mainly because I have the most amount of control in class and by now had figured he was a phony).
So, we started sparring, I asked him to show me some of his fighting style, I said at first I would only block and wouldn't counter. After about 5 min of him not even being able to get close to me I told him we would switch spots. I'll save you all the grizzly details but needless to say I don't think he blocked one punch or kick that came his way.

Well I'm glad he showed up and learned his lesson. Martial Artists end up getting alot of slack when uneducated people such as himself goes around running their heads about getting a black belt in 6 months etc...

I also think you handled yourself really well. Personally, I dont think I would have said "ask the gentleman who trained with us today." I'm sure his ego was already crushed, and that added on top probably ensured that he would not come back(though I could be wrong). Now that may have been what you wanted, and I'm not saying you intended on insulting the man, even after the constant harrassment he gave you. I just think I would have asked him what he thought about class and invited him back.

Like I said though, you handled yourself great in this situation
icon14.gif
just throwing in my 2 cents

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah I have a few mates who are bouncers... They dont know anything about martial arts and are adament that knowing a martial art is a waste of time.

I don't know what kind of experiences your mates have had, but don't devalue their advice. Chances are they've seen and participated in more 'street fights', probably on an honest to god street than any martial artist ever will.

Granted they're operating out of ignorance as far as the martial arts is concerned, but don't write off their opinions simply because they don't mesh with your own world view.