If you had just one question to ask KKW

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just had a look at the KKW site and from what I can see it doesnt mention SD at all. All references are for sparring and patterns and under the Hanmadang section, destruction. I was particulally interested in that as you stated in an earlier post that the Hanmadang shows KKW TKD's SD side.. but it doesnt mention it.. are you refering to a display or something!

Interestingly enough, under the 'Objectives' section it states that its to "Maintain TKD Original Philiosophy" - surely that would mean SD as at least part of it, even by your definition of how TKDs meant to be Youngman!

I actually only went looking at the sight as I recalled they use to have a SD section, which doesnt seem to be there anymore, unless Im missing it!

Stuart

Ps. You also mention the ITF, they were excatly the same for a while (no longer emphasising the SD aspects of the art), but in later years are rectifying it, albeit slowly IMO)

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe the Kukkiwon viewpoint, as I'm sure the ITF's is as well, is that Taekwondo is a martial art and a way of life. As such, while many of the techniques are designed for self defense, by definition Taekwondo is not a pure fighting style. By that I mean it is not designed strictly for combat and self defense. It is designed to be an overall program of physical, mental, spiritual (hence the Do), and social well being.

I am curious, what kind of training do you do that is not designed to improve one`s ability to defend one self?

KickFest

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just had a look at the KKW site and from what I can see it doesnt mention SD at all.

I found a 'Kyorugi' section of the site which seems to be SD oriented, but let's just say I'm not convinced judging by the gun disarm on http://www.kukkiwon.or.kr/english/information/information05_11.jsp?div=05, and I'm not sure how you would find yourself in this position http://www.kukkiwon.or.kr/english/information/information05_5.jsp?div=05:uhohh: Perhaps the guy on the left is proposing and the guy on the right is so shocked he fell down?

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks kickFest, thats the pages I was looking for. I thought "Kyorugi" meant sparring in WTF lingo.. apparently not. What is the translation of it as most students would know it btw?

Also, just one point (General, not directed at you KF), even if the KKW site does show SD techniques (no matter how questionable), doesnt mean its practiced in schools. From my experience, things not required at a grading are simply relegated right to the bottom of the pile and usually right off the list altogethor!

Thanks for the links,
Stuart

KickFest

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We just call it self defense where I train.

My comments were directed at the material as it is presented on the site, not toward kukkiwon practitioners (I am one myself!), just to be clear.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks kickFest, thats the pages I was looking for. I thought "Kyorugi" meant sparring in WTF lingo.. apparently not. What is the translation of it as most students would know it btw?

Also, just one point (General, not directed at you KF), even if the KKW site does show SD techniques (no matter how questionable), doesnt mean its practiced in schools. From my experience, things not required at a grading are simply relegated right to the bottom of the pile and usually right off the list altogethor!

Thanks for the links,
Stuart

That I think is the core problem some of us have with the current KKW "curriculum." It's like swiss cheese. It really on ly emphasises poomse and sparring, and seems to only pay lip service to the other aspects of the art compelete art it is supposed to promote. This leaves instructors with a dilemma...where to find thre material? Some schools develop there own, some borrow from other styles (Hapkido, Karate, etc.) others drop these things all together.

What is one to do in conditions like this? If the organizatiion that is supposed to oversee the quality of practitioners and promote the whole art isn't doing it...we either leave the org or we push for change. At this point I'm willing to push for change, but there's not a real down side in leeaving at this point either. I don't see where KKW has a lot of power in worldwide TKD. You need their certification for things like Olympic participation...what percentage of TKDists need that, less than 1%? Besides, it's easy enough to get someone 4th dan or higher to vouch for you...no real oversight there.

Peace,
Erik

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I, unfortunately, will be the first to admit that many Kukkiwon/WTF schools emphasize Olympic sparring above all else, and have the idea that somehow this will work outside. What's even worse is that many instructors pass along this notion that what they do works for self defense, and many students think that what they are learning is good for self defense, perhaps not realizing that it is just a sport like basketball.
However, I don't hold the whole Kukkiwon accountable for this. Self defense is not teaching set sequences of techniques. It encompasses speed, accuracy, power, footwork, vital spots, multiple partner self defense etc.
The Hanmadang is one example of the Kukkiwon's determination to show that it is not just about sparring. Sure, they do prearranged techniques (as all organizations do), but they also do impressive demonstrations of power and accuracy. Those wouldn't work for self defense? I think what some of you want is joint locls and grappling. Other styles do that.
I too would like to see explanations of form technique, but self defense is more than that. I know what a high block does and what a side kick does.

Latest Discussions