If you had just one question to ask KKW

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
On October 3rd I'm leaving for a 10 day trip to Korea. I'll be joining fellow USTC members visiting parts of S.K. and doing some home grown TKD training. One of our stops will be with the KKW. Now I'm not sure if we will be able to get in any Q&A time with anyone of significance, but if we did what would be some questions you would like answered? (Respectable and realistic questions only please)

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmmm... well, I guess one obvious one, given all the discussion/debate on various current threads, would be: does the KKW have any interest at all in the bunkai/boon hae/practical applications side of their forms? O'Neil's book on the Taegeuks has just come out, and he's got, so far as I know, no connection with the KKW at all. Do they plan to have their own say on that whole huge area, and if so, are they going to integrate it into their curriculum? And if so, at what point? And if not, why not?

That sort of thing....

OP
miguksaram

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hmmm... well, I guess one obvious one, given all the discussion/debate on various current threads, would be: does the KKW have any interest at all in the bunkai/boon hae/practical applications side of their forms? O'Neil's book on the Taegeuks has just come out, and he's got, so far as I know, no connection with the KKW at all. Do they plan to have their own say on that whole huge area, and if so, are they going to integrate it into their curriculum? And if so, at what point? And if not, why not?

That sort of thing....

What took you so long to reply? I posted this almost 15 minutes ago. ha.ha.ha.ha. ;)

Actually that is the one major question I am hoping to be able to discuss with them, especially since our latest discussions on this topic. Thanks.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What took you so long to reply? I posted this almost 15 minutes ago. ha.ha.ha.ha. ;)

Well, I'm not a very fast typist! :D

Actually that is the one major question I am hoping to be able to discuss with them, especially since our latest discussions on this topic. Thanks.

Good, and please keep us posted on this point when you get back.... It's one I think a lot of people on the board would want to hear about.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Simple one really, when did the KKW stop teaching TKD and started handy out certificates and why.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Who will be the person who succeeds Mr. Uhm? Whoever that person is will have a large impact in whether or not the Kukkiwon stays relevant or crumbles.

OP
miguksaram

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Simple one really, when did the KKW stop teaching TKD and started handy out certificates and why.

What do you mean by "stop teaching TKD"? Remember, there is a line of respect needed to be had here when talking with them. Going in with insulting questions won't accomplish anything.

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Apart from the Boon Hae Question, Id consider:

1. Are you really going to merge or do something with one of the ITFs?
2. Are you going to re-correct your history in the WTF text books to include General Choi rather than keeping him out of it altogthor?
3. Whats the KKWs plans for the future development of Taekwondo?

Stuart

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Apart from the Boon Hae Question, Id consider:

1. Are you really going to merge or do something with one of the ITFs?
2. Are you going to re-correct your history in the WTF text books to include General Choi rather than keeping him out of it altogthor?
3. Whats the KKWs plans for the future development of Taekwondo?

Stuart

Good questions, Stuart.

I envision a helluva lot of resistance on 2....

OP
miguksaram

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Good questions, Stuart.

I envision a helluva lot of resistance on 2....

Well one of the history changes I would like to see is more about the development time during post Japanese occupation, where we see more information on the individual kwans, which of course included Choi's kwan. So perhaps asking it in that way would be less of a kick in the nuts than pointing out Choi's direct ommision.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well one of the history changes I would like to see is more about the development time during post Japanese occupation, where we see more information on the individual kwans, which of course included Choi's kwan. So perhaps asking it in that way would be less of a kick in the nuts than pointing out Choi's direct ommision.

Good point. Definitely, that era is the informational black hole of TKD history. A lot of important information was probably never written down, some that was was unquestionably lost, and the number of TKD pioneers from that era still living is now small and getting smaller fast. One thing I'm really curious about is just what the ordinary working curricula of the original kwans consisted of. What happened on an ordinary afternoon or evening in a typical training session with the regulars? What was the sparring like? What did they do with the forms&#8212;what kind of corrections did the senior instructors make, especially in the case of advanced students? Things like that...

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Exile beat me to the boon hae question, Stuart beat me to the ITF merger question and the future developement of TKD question, and Youngman beat me to the Mister Uhm's successor question.

One question.... alright.

Do you plan on or have in the works a more comprehensive and practical SD curriculum that incorporates such things as sweeps, takedowns, and falls and rolls and if not, why not? And if not, I submit this to you as something that I as a member would like to see.

Daniel

Last edited:
OP
miguksaram

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Exile beat me to the boon hae question, Stuart beat me to the ITF merger question and the future developement of TKD question, and Youngman beat me to the Mister Uhm's successor question.

One question.... alright.

Do you plan on or have in the works a more comprehensive and practical SD curriculum that incorporates such things as sweeps and takedowns, and if not, why not? And if not, I submit this to you as something that I as a member would like to see.

Daniel

Good one. Would you want this to be part of the KKW requirments for rank testing or something just to have a tool to utilize?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Good one. Would you want this to be part of the KKW requirments for rank testing or something just to have a tool to utilize?
Firstly, I'd like to add falls and rolls to that practical SD question.

I'd rather it be part of testing requirements. If one cannot practically defend themselves, then they have no business with a blackbelt or a dan rank. As a teaching tool, it would be discarded by the vast majority of schools, as practical SD is more difficult than just puching air and doing one steps, and would turn off the fitness, kiddie, and social crowds.

I study hapkido, and I will tell you that practical SD, falls and rolls send you home sore. That is not what the typical TKD student is accustomed to and they will yowl about it if it and most schools will discard it unless the KKW explicitly requires it.

Daniel

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
What plans, if any, does the KKW have on providing more in the way of instructor and student materials/support? (pedagogy, videos, books, etc.)

Peace,
Erik

OP
miguksaram

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks to all for your questions. As I'm taking off from work now and will not be on the internet until after I get there. I have written down these questions and hopefully will have a chance to ask them.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What do you mean by "stop teaching TKD"? Remember, there is a line of respect needed to be had here when talking with them. Going in with insulting questions won't accomplish anything.

I ws not trying to insult it is a valed question back in the seventies and early eighties there was a flux of great competitor that lived for the Art and since the KKW issued all these so called high ranking people for money the end result is a waterdown system, why nwould they let this happen is a great question.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
"When did you stop teaching Taekwondo?" is more personal opinion than valid question.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"When did you stop teaching Taekwondo?" is more personal opinion than valid question.

I see it as a valid question, since I have been around long enough to know what was then and what is now. I believe my years of being in the Martial Arts gives me the right to ask.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That's like asking someone "Why are you so stupid?"
Provide specific examples of the behavior in question and then ask why they do this?

Latest Discussions