If you couldn't practice your art anymore...

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Say you moved to a new area that the art you practiced either wasn't available, or the quality of instruction was poor. Say also, any other art was available and with a respectible instructor. What would you study and why?
I have a reason for asking...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The thing is that I've advanced far enough where my training is really a self propagating affair. I would simply find another art that interested me and grow. TSD would be my base.

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
The thing is that I've advanced far enough where my training is really a self propagating affair. I would simply find another art that interested me and grow. TSD would be my base.

I couldn't have said it any better. Nicely done. :)

fightingfat

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would always go with a quality instructor, style is virtually irrelevant. You can learn any style and be good enough to defend yourself. What is rare is a quality teacher.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I could switch in my own town, I would right now. I would rather learn a new art under a qualified instructor who wanted to teach. TW

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have always been of a mind that you are responsible for the material that you learn. In this case, if you were no longer able to study with your instructor, in your style, then keep what you have already learned, be responsible to practice it yourself, and make it as good as you can.

That being said, I also agree with the notion of finding a good teacher, regardless of style.

however, all things being equal, I would love to learn some drunken kung fu.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
If I could switch in my own town, I would right now. I would rather learn a new art under a qualified instructor who wanted to teach. TW

Is there a reason why you can't switch in your own town, if you are having problems with your teacher?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I tend to want to travel a long way to get what I'm looking for, rather than what's available. I'm not adverse to switching styles, but I tend to seek out what I'm attracted to.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
I tend to want to travel a long way to get what I'm looking for, rather than what's available. I'm not adverse to switching styles, but I tend to seek out what I'm attracted to.

There is truth in this. Not every art is for everyone.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would look to a CMA if my style came unavailable. There's a beautiful fluidity to Chinese styles that has always caught my eye.

OP
Gemini

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
Good point! Different arts offer different things. I also most certainly agree that the quality of instruction is more important than any art itself. However, you also brought up a good point in that I'm far enough along in my art that I could possibly create my own quality and not necessarily have to rely on a quality instructor. Somehow though, that seems ultimately to be a dead end road. After all, if I knew everything there was to know, I'd be a master, which I'm not. If the definition of a fool is "He who knows not, that he knows not", I don't want be be one of those. Lastly, no I'm not at all unhappy with the instruction I've received. I may be transferring to a different area and after already checking out what's available, I was extremely underimpressed with what I found. My reason for asking was so I could see how others might react in a similar situation. Kind of a self sanity check, if you will.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At this point, I would do what my instructor and a couple of his senior instructors do - work out on my own and meet up with my instructor whenever I could - monthly, if possible. I would also start another class - I love instructing, and it helps me to stay motivated.

OP
Gemini

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
I would look to a CMA if my style came unavailable. There's a beautiful fluidity to Chinese styles that has always caught my eye.
Agreed. But my continual lack of fluidity in my motion has always made me a bit apprehensive about trying Chinese arts.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Gemini said:
Agreed. But my continual lack of fluidity in my motion has always made me a bit apprehensive about trying Chinese arts.

ahh, but if you give it a try, you just might develop the knack for it.

OP
Gemini

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
ahh, but if you give it a try, you just might develop the knack for it.
I dunno, my friend. I'm pretty much a brick. I think a Chinese instructor would take one look at me and start shouting "Hopeless baboon, I've seen Yak's with more grace" in Chinese or something. I'm not paranoid or nuttin' though...

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I did tkd for a while and Seieikan now; both what I might call hard styles; however, recently we began doing a new kata that has several circular movements in it and, though odd at first, soon felt very comfortable and efficient.

And that's my run-on sentance for the day.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:

Exactly. I would love to train in Judo, or better yet, Aikido. But I have physical limitations that prevent me from doing throws & joint locks very well. I've trained with folks in these arts to realize this. I've also grown very passionate about stand-up fighting arts. That's why I would seek them out.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I moved from my beloved TSD. BUT I have been in TKD so long that I don't know what I would do. I know if I moved again, and had the chance to train TSD again, if I could I would. But I'm also exploring (I do Jujitsu also and Judo in the past). So, I can't really say what would happen. I'm really liken Jujitsu lately though.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
I've been in this exact situation at least twice now. I've always tried to keep up with my TKD training on my own, but I also moved on to a different art with a different instructor. The quality of instruction, and the amount of fun I have, have always been my main criteria for choosing a school or club.

Right now, I'm trying out Wing Chun. The training's pretty different from the other arts I have experience with.

Latest Discussions