If you couldn't practice your art anymore...

coldsteel87

White Belt
Reaction score
If i couldnt practice my art anymore i would be devastated. Shaolin is not an art you can leave at the black belt rank believing you know enough of it. I hope so badly that i have the opportunity to stay with my system all my life. If i had to though i would try and find a similar style of kung fu.

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'd give systema a go. Always liked the look of it on the videos I've seen. Of course there'd be more chance of finding my art in an average town than systema as its not too widespread but anyway..

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gemini said:
Say you moved to a new area that the art you practiced either wasn't available, or the quality of instruction was poor.

If thats what I was force to do, then I'd have no choice but to continue training the material I've learned so far, to the best of my ability. Just because I may not be actively training in that art, does not mean I can't keep refining my skill. Although this could be difficult and certainly may be something people couldn't do on a regular basis, but I may look into traveling to seek out a qualified inst. Flying to another state for a long weekend of training, would provide you with training, as well as new ideas to keep working on.

Say also, any other art was available and with a respectible instructor. What would you study and why?
I have a reason for asking...

It would depend on what was around and if the arts that were there, met my needs of what I was looking for.

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gemini said:
I dunno, my friend. I'm pretty much a brick. I think a Chinese instructor would take one look at me and start shouting "Hopeless baboon, I've seen Yak's with more grace" in Chinese or something. I'm not paranoid or nuttin' though...

Ahh..I know the feeling. During my FMA class, we'll also work on various kicks, punches, etc. My inst. is using more of a boxing style method of punching and a Thai style method of kicking, so trying to break the habit of years of throwing those same strikes in Kenpo can prove to be frustrating.

Mike

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Gemini, I know how you feel. I may be moving to another city that does not have a gym affiliated with my current gym. There isn't much as far as variety either so branching out to a new art may not even be a possibility. However i cannot imagine not training in TKD so I will probably pick the gym most suited to me and when I get there I will work my butt off, for myself and out of respect for my instructor. Ya never know, maybe the new place will let me lead warmups, show some drills, etc.

I know when we have transfers, our instructor is always looking for what she can learn from that student that may help other classes. Hopefully I won't have to worry about this at all, but good luck to you Gemini!

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Gemini said:
Say you moved to a new area that the art you practiced either wasn't available, or the quality of instruction was poor. Say also, any other art was available and with a respectible instructor. What would you study and why?
Go for the quality instruction. If you can get good quality instruction in any style, that is a great thing no matter what style.

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Gemini said:
Say you moved to a new area that the art you practiced either wasn't available, or the quality of instruction was poor. Say also, any other art was available and with a respectible instructor. What would you study and why?

After the first or second week of may I won't be able to. Partly due to schedule constraints and partly due to increase in strongman focus to compete. ...and thus will focus on my "strongman art."

Heh...

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Gemini said:
I dunno, my friend. I'm pretty much a brick. I think a Chinese instructor would take one look at me and start shouting "Hopeless baboon, I've seen Yak's with more grace" in Chinese or something. I'm not paranoid or nuttin' though...
You have such a humorous take on the situation that I can't help but agree with as I'm laughing! And I wonder how much of our everyday "roll with the punches" martial arts mentality just dissipates when we have to go back to the beginning and become humble once more?

There's a certain trepidation that's only natural, but looking at it another way, as a beginner to a style, nobody expects. And suddenly we're free to make mistakes and not have everyone run around with their hands in the air! Every misfortune can be an opportunity if you're strong enough to lift your "happy hat" onto your head.

Yr most obdt hmble svt,
Jenna

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've thought of this question before. I'd be really sad if I couldn't do Aikido. But if I couldn't, I'd look for a style of Jujutsu or Judo that I liked. Jujutsu and Aikido have a lot of the same techniques, and I like the grappling in Judo. :) If I had the time and opportunity, it would be neat to cross-train in one of those. Those are my top choices. I wouldn't mind doing other arts or styles, but I'd want to do one that was as similar to Aikido as possible.

Robyn :asian: