What style would you add to your training?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't seek out private instruction, but I'll play along. If I were to do that it would be with Danny Inosanto.

As for what I wouldn't do...I don't know if it's even around anymore, but Monkey Style Kung Fu.
Both of these are on my hypothetical bucket list.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Had to scrawl through to find my answer to the other thread of this nature, and yeah my answers haven't changed ;)

Would actually love to train in most of the main varieties of karate styles. There's something I've noticed in each of them that have value that I really want explore. I love the different emphasis and philosophy in each.

Same as you @Flying Crane , have just never been that interested in the grappling arts, as much as I would learn it just never interested me.

Would also love to get more training in TKD. I trained for a month in it and really enjoyed it.

Oh and Tang Soo Do as well! Find it fascinating.

Would love to train in a bit of Systema too, more of a secondary art to compliment other stuff. Find alot of it fascinating, especially its breath work and relaxed, flowing, organic nature.

OH and Taijiquan! Definitely.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would love to just have more options in my home town. There are a total of 2 commercial schools (both TKD derivatives) and a few people doing various styles of solo work. I have tried every one that comes and goes but nothing seems to stick around very long. Shotokan was around pretty solid 20 years ago but it finally fade completely out.
If I had the time and opportunity within a reasonable distance I would go back and brush up on my Kali.
The way my body is failing I wonder how well I would do in something like Tai Chi. There are certain aspects of Korean/Japanese sparring/drilling I can still handle fine. The excessive stretching and ridiculously high kicks of KKW TKD have not been an option for several years now.

D

Deleted member 39746

FMA and Sambo would be my go tos, and combat sambo including Lethewei.

And probbly Chi ball fighting would be on the avoid at all costs list.

D

Deleted member 39746

I would love to just have more options in my home town. There are a total of 2 commercial schools (both TKD derivatives) and a few people doing various styles of solo work.

That sound spretty common, my town had just TKD in it for a bit.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
FMA and Sambo would be my go tos, and combat sambo including Lethewei.

And probbly Chi ball fighting would be on the avoid at all costs list.
I know this is a long shot, but if you ever come to the new york/new jersey/pennsylvania area, let me know. I've got some good combat sambo and kali teachers here that could teach you.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wouldn't seek out private instruction, but I'll play along. If I were to do that it would be with Danny Inosanto.

As for what I wouldn't do...I don't know if it's even around anymore, but Monkey Style Kung Fu.

I recently found out one of my coaches trained in LA? At his academy.

D

Deleted member 39746

I know this is a long shot, but if you ever come to the new york/new jersey/pennsylvania area, let me know. I've got some good combat sambo and kali teachers here that could teach you.

Really odd combination. But they probbly would be fewer in number wheneve/if ever i would be able to go there. :p

Funnily enough though, the new england region would be my prefered region in the U.S.

although, i have realsied pending how much it would cost and if the place is still running the persons schedule i probbly could take a taxi over and do the arnis that is close to me, at least now and then. a lot of kinks to work out but as long as money isnt a issue or time it seems doable.

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Can #1 be something you already practice, or does it have to be a new style?

1) I'd learn Wing Chun, perhaps from a lineage I haven't trained in. My second choice would be Silat. I'd also be interested in Xingyi, Tai Chi (with a good instructor who understands the martial aspect of it and doesn't think he can send people flying with his chi), Kali Ilustrisimo, and Muso Shinto Ryu Jojutsu. I'd also be interested in Western Boxing, though it's quite different than what's listed above.

2) Tae Kwon Do. No offense to anyone who practices it -- it's just not what I'm looking for (and not something I would be able to do well, even!)

In some sense the teacher matters more than the art. I'd go with one of my second choices over one of my first choices in a heart beat if I found a really good teacher in that system.

Latest Discussions