If You Could Only Eat At One Restaurant For The Rest Of Your Life, Which Would It Be?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The North End is all little streets. Each one has a ton of restaurants, no surprise you can't remember the names. I can't either and I was born in The North End.

But I was little at the time. :)

Yeah, there are a whole lot of them in the North End. For some reason the only restaurant I can remember the name of in Boston, that's not Chinese, is Durgin-Park. And I have not been there in over 25 years

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
That doesn't ring bells. The standout pizza place I recall was Regina's in the North End. there was a bakery around the corner from there that was great, too... the name escapes me now. Michael's maybe? Mike's?

Thanks, wait...you were in Boston!?

I just sent a text to a friend who was also there, and still lives in the area, to see if he remembers....he won't...but it was a good excuse to send a text to catch up

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Damn, I wish I had known you then. I would have taken you on an epicurean pilgrimage to end all epicurean pilgrimages.

I love eating out. Just before moving back here, the boys took me out to dinner in Providence Rhode Island at a place called The Cantina. It's been there sixty years and I had never heard of it.

There were twelve of us. Waitress comes over and introduces herself, we all introduce ourselves. We all order, she writes nothing down. And we are all big eaters, everyone ordered at least two side dishes, many of us three or four side dishes.

One guys asked about something that wasn't on the menu. She said, "Order anything you want, the Chef can, and will, make anything you want. So some of the guys did. She not only got the order right, she remembered every one of our names. Then the chef came out to see how we were doing. It was a fantastic night.

We tipped her a gazillion dollars. Well deserved, too.
Totally. I pretty much walked all over that city and enjoyed every bit of it.

IIRC, I arrived the week before the Boston Marathon, and left a few weeks after watching the Boston Pops concert on the river for the 4th of July. So, great weather and lots to do.

I actually picked up a great single seat behind home plate at Fenway. Was talking to a couple of season ticket holders at the game about baseball, Safeco Field (at the time, the Seattle ballpark was pretty new and also very cutting edge). Among other things, they were talking about how educated the fanbase was in Boston, and made a specific comment about how the Seattle fans did the "wave" at games. Literally, one of them said, "You'll never see that here." Maybe 30 minutes later, the wave started going around the park, and he turns to me and says completely deadpan, "Well, that's unfortunate timing." So funny.

Good guys and a thoroughly enjoyable game.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Yeah, there are a whole lot of them in the North End. For some reason the only restaurant I can remember the name of in Boston, that's not Chinese, is Durgin-Park. And I have not been there in over 25 years
Durgin Park closed recently, I saw. My wife and I went there for dinner one night. Pretty good prime rib.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Thanks, wait...you were in Boston!?

I just sent a text to a friend who was also there, and still lives in the area, to see if he remembers....he won't...but it was a good excuse to send a text to catch up
I packed a lot of eating into about 3 months time. :D

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Durgin Park closed recently, I saw. My wife and I went there for dinner one night. Pretty good prime rib.

I did not know they closed, I did hear the went from family style eating to individual tables.

A lot of history there, when my mother and father were in the Navy, and dating, they use to go there

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

One of my favorite restaurant memories as a kid, was eating at The Space Needle the first month they opened.

I even remember what I had, Chicken Cacciatore and Lemmon Meringue Pie for desert.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have a lot of great stories from boston, but they're best told over a beer or two

Sounds like a winning plan, right there.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
All you can eat buffets in Las Vegas as well
As long as the buffet has to be clean. Sometimes buffets can get really nasty, with either the food prep, the dish washer, or people who come in. I've seen people do some nasty stuff at a buffet. I don't just eat at any buffet

They don't call us the Dirty South for nothing lol

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
the Las Vegas Bellagio buffet is the only place that I know that they open the king crab leg for you.

crab-leg.jpg

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
As long as the buffet has to be clean. Sometimes buffets can get really nasty, with either the food prep, the dish washer, or people who come in. I've seen people do some nasty stuff at a buffet. I don't just eat at any buffet

They don't call us the Dirty South for nothing lol

Back in the day (mid-90s), I was working in retail while going to college. My store shared a wall with a restaurant, and after the mall was closed, I could hear the rats fighting in the walls.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
About 40 miles west of Nashville, TN.

I love Tennessee. I stayed in a campground in Waynesboro, TN. There was a restaurant behind it that had a spring running right through the middle of it. My wife ordered trout, they asked her if she just wanted them to cook it or would she like to catch it herself. She took the rod and caught a beauty right from our table. And the dish was outstanding.

And I had the best ribs I've eaten to this day.

I could eat every meal at that place for the rest of my life. Easy.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Back in the day (mid-90s), I was working in retail while going to college. My store shared a wall with a restaurant, and after the mall was closed, I could hear the rats fighting in the walls.

What style, and how would they do against an MMA fighter? Oh, wait. That's another thread.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I love Tennessee. I stayed in a campground in Waynesboro, TN. There was a restaurant behind it that had a spring running right through the middle of it. My wife ordered trout, they asked her if she just wanted them to cook it or would she like to catch it herself. She took the rod and caught a beauty right from our table. And the dish was outstanding.

And I had the best ribs I've eaten to this day.

I could eat every meal at that place for the rest of my life. Easy.

Cindy's is a bit more basic than that but they have the best catfish you can find on Friday's.

I you were in Waynesboro proper I am guessing she caught the trout out of the Green River or Copeland Branch. Possibly Fish House Diner or Hagy's Catfish Hotel? It has been a good while since I have been to Waynesboro but they used to prepare your catch at both places.
Waynesboro is pretty cool because it is truly like stepping back into the 40's &50's rural south.

Latest Discussions