Ideal uniform weight

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Forget about the snap sound. It's a kids' thing IMO. It was cool for a week or two when I bought my first real gi at 19. Then I realized it was just for show.

My understanding is that the sound is caused by the fabric accelerating and whipping through the air, so the sound demonstrates that your technique has some force (mass * acceleration) to it. Which admittedly, is not that impressive for someone whose not a beginner, but I think for beginners it can be helpful way for them to judge their own technique.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
V neck TKD uniforms of weight beyond "student weight" do provide a "snap" to them, and they last much longer than student weight dobok. Mooto, Adidas, & Daedo sell white collar stronger than student weight dobok. They may what the OP is looking for. They aren't for collar grabs either. But they do deliver the "snap" also. I recommend my students by them after their initial uniform has seen better days.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
V neck TKD uniforms of weight beyond "student weight" do provide a "snap" to them, and they last much longer than student weight dobok. Mooto, Adidas, & Daedo sell white collar stronger than student weight dobok. They may what the OP is looking for. They aren't for collar grabs either. But they do deliver the "snap" also. I recommend my students by them after their initial uniform has seen better days.

My school uses the side-tie Dobok/Gi. We don't use the V-neck.