First time using 14 oz gloves

OP
M

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Warm up and padwork I use 10 oz.
Heavy bag work bag gloves with speed drills and 14oz training gloves for power punching.
Sparring 16 oz.

Using bag gloves or 10oz fight gloves for sparring is being an ***.
May I ask doesn't that slow you down for sparring not wearing the 16 but using heavier for sparring than you do for pads. For example if you wear your 16 for everything you get used to the weight when throwing hard punches for a consistent time but of you've got lower weight for pads then switch to big for sparring doesn't that throw you off more. Just a general question

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
When you're putting your training partners at risk then yes 100% I don't care if my punches have less power in sparring because sparring isn't fighting Im looking to land the shots but not hurt them. If you're looking to hurt your partner then you need to look at yourself
The closer that sparring simulates fighting, the better. I have no trouble looking at myself thanks.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The closer that sparring simulates fighting, the better.

So, just so we're clear on this... you're saying you do not object to your sparring partner doing their level best to break your bones, gouge out your eyes, fracture your larynx, etc?
Personally, while I don't like a ruleset that's as restrictive as WTF sparring or point sparring, I'd prefer not to have bones broken. Or be killed.

OP
M

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
The closer that sparring simulates fighting, the better. I have no trouble looking at myself thanks.
Yeah I bet you don't....why is it better are you a fighter do you compete in matches if not and it's just a hobby then who the hell cares. Majority of people train for fun and don't want some meathead hurting them just because of his ego and he wants to play being a fighter.

OP
M

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
So, just so we're clear on this... you're saying you do not object to your sparring partner doing their level best to break your bones, gouge out your eyes, fracture your larynx, etc?
Personally, while I don't like a ruleset that's as restrictive as WTF sparring or point sparring, I'd prefer not to have bones broken. Or be killed.
Yep I mean sparring is not fighting. Sparring is training it's working your combinations against a moving target, it's working your defensive ability, it's working your cardio. It's not a fight that's why fights are called fights and sparring is called sparring

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually did a work out this morning on my own bag just to try and break them in and get a feel for them and I like them it gives my arms a good workout and you feel like your hitting with more power. And their bigger so in sparring you can get more protection for defence
Honestly I don't think the bigger size will make barley any difference speed wise you say you usually use 12 and switch to 14 so that's 2 ounces difference that's less than a pound heavier. Even the difference between 10 and 16 is less than a pound. The heavier weight is to protect the training partner I reckon a lot of it is psychological you think because your wearing heavier gloves it's making a difference but you also said in sparring you didn't notice anything but in pads you did. In pads your thinking about it more but sparring you haven't got time to

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
So it's ok to say people that prefer smaller gloves are @sses, but it bothers you that I call using oversize gloves 'pillowfighting'? LOL k.

Giant gloves are like using a shield, you cover wide and it still blocks everything. If you train yourself to move like that you are in for a surprise when the shield is gone.
I spent my entire fight career training with either 14 or sometimes 16 and fighting in either 8 or 10 and never had a single problem with it....go figure

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
May I ask doesn't that slow you down for sparring not wearing the 16 but using heavier for sparring than you do for pads. For example if you wear your 16 for everything you get used to the weight when throwing hard punches for a consistent time but of you've got lower weight for pads then switch to big for sparring doesn't that throw you off more. Just a general question

The weights in gloves just refer to the padding. So depending on the glove brand they will be different actual weights. Now if you fight you use the organizers gloves which could be like anything.

So in general you can't get too attached to the weight of your own gloves. Youjust deal with it.

OP
M

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
image.jpg
Just as a point of interest if anyone cares lol these are the gloves I just had a quick look and I think my 12s actually look bigger than these ones

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not sure that is so, wearing heavier gloves protects your hands, it does nothing for the guy being punched, who is now being hit with punches that weight 10 Oz more, which considerable increases the kinetic energy of the punch

one of the credible defences of bare knuckles fighting is it causes less brain damage, as the fighter tends to break his hands up if he hits full power, so doesn't often

We train in 16's 7's and 5's and the general consensus is the smaller the glove the more it sucks to get hit with them.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

It's a give take scenario. The harder you go the better youll get, but there is ya, more risk. It isn't like we go full kill mode, but we go hard, just shy of dog brothers I guess, we don't use weapons.

Now, I do realize this isn't for everbody, and I'm not hating on people not prepared to take risks in training, not one bit. I will however take issue with being called an @ss or having people attempt to brow beat me down because I don't train like they do.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
We train in 16's 7's and 5's and the general consensus is the smaller the glove the more it sucks to get hit with them.

All it takes is a couple rounds of sparring with different gloves to realize this. Not sure Jobo laces ever.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fair enough. Some of the toughest dudes I know have never put on gloves.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Padwork is about quickness, speed, and accuracy, heavy bag is about power. Different drills, different attribute development, different equipment.

kickillustrated

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I saw Sandee a lot while training in Thailand. They are bigger than Twins, but I never liked to put them on because of their pad padding. How do you like the fit of them?
Just as a point of interest if anyone cares lol these are the gloves I just had a quick look and I think my 12s actually look bigger than these ones

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

The smaller gloves are more of a concentrated point impact, so yeah, at the time it hurts more.

Bigger gloves spread the force out so you don't feel the knuckles hit - but they do allow harder overall hits with less chance of hand damage. So, your head gets knocked around more which carries a greater risk of brain trauma.

If I really had to choose what to get hit by it would be big gloves to body, smaller or no gloves to head.

kickillustrated

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Bigger gloves spread the force out so you don't feel the knuckles hit - but they do allow harder overall hits with less chance of hand damage. So, your head gets knocked around more which carries a greater risk of brain trauma.

That does not sound logic in terms of power, but it is true that bigger gloves make it easier to hit your opponent. On the other side punches with heavier gloves are a lot slower than with small ones. The partner can avoid them more easily. There always seems to be a balance in whatever way you change the rules of the game. The most important thing imho is that both sparring partners are wearing the same weight and brand of a glove.

Latest Discussions