Uniforms for overweight persons

S

supernix

Hi,

I am curious if anyone here has had trouble finding a uniform that would fit when they started martial arts?

I am starting back to taking Karate but I am perplexed on how to find a gi that will fit me.

OP
S

supernix

I am 5' 6" and currently weigh 270lbs might be a little lighter tonight after me and my father went hiking up Table Rock mountain.
Best I can tell I should get a 8 but not sure and from who. I am having troubles connecting to the Century site right now though.

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
you're going to have to do some serious hemming...i'm 6'5'' and 330 Lbs...and the all the pants i've got are way to long for me...

I know you can get custom sized uniforms made...but i guess i've never tried

OP
S

supernix

I use to study Shuri Ryu as well as Hakkoryu Jujutsu. But I will be taking Shotokan/Hapkido/Jujutsu at the new dojo I found.
I wanted a nice strong gi as I definately recall one of the techniques in Jujutsu being a real gi ripper. Unfortunately I have a very small amount of money at the end of the month.

mcjon77

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm a really big guy, and it is hard finding gis for me as well. One place to get a judo gi is centuryfitness.com. I have a size 8 judo gi and it fits me. Bear Brand seems to make big gis but I haven't tried them yet. For sonme reason a century size 8 judo gi fits fine, but a century size 8 lightweight karate gi doesn't.

Jon

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
supernix said:
Hi,

I am curious if anyone here has had trouble finding a uniform that would fit when they started martial arts?

I am starting back to taking Karate but I am perplexed on how to find a gi that will fit me.
I know Juka brand makes a gi that is cut larger than most, and is advertised as fitting body builder types. It's called their Juka Bronze. However, since you have the element of jujitsu mixed in, it may not be too practical if your gonna rip it.

Another place that you may wanna check is Kwon. They are a German based martial arts supply place, and their uniforms run big. They have one called a self defense uniform that is a cross between a judo/karate gi. Might be the perfect combo your looking for. Hope this helps :asian:

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well I havent had any trouble getting a Gi that fits, more a Gi that fits right....since they seem to be made for men, they dont sit right around the curves..hehe

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Sarah said:
Well I havent had any trouble getting a Gi that fits, more a Gi that fits right....since they seem to be made for men, they dont sit right around the curves..hehe
Yep....not very many companies out there that make a woman's karate gi. Only know of about 2 that do :rolleyes:

I did put the question out to the females in another forum, but they were of the concensus that there was no need to have a uniform tailored to them :idunno:

So much for my idea :shrug:

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
We make do....just have to wear a sports top under my Gi as no matter how tight I have my belt my top pops open, beside in JJ my Gi gets all messed up anyways.

Pacificshore said:
Yep....not very many companies out there that make a woman's karate gi. Only know of about 2 that do :rolleyes:

I did put the question out to the females in another forum, but they were of the concensus that there was no need to have a uniform tailored to them :idunno:

So much for my idea :shrug:

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
BOLDLOOK.NET UP TO SIZE 12 UNIFORMS
lol I am 6 foot 4 and we got a size 12 for a guy i tryed the 12 on and it was almost a full length coat on me thats how big it was the pants where up to my neck lol it was huge only problem with this big of a uniform a big price i think it is about 80 bucks for a 10 oz white karate uniform

lol also have up size 12 belts there about 20 feet long lol

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Pacificshore said:
I know Juka brand makes a gi that is cut larger than most, and is advertised as fitting body builder types. It's called their Juka Bronze. However, since you have the element of jujitsu mixed in, it may not be too practical if your gonna rip it.

Another place that you may wanna check is Kwon. They are a German based martial arts supply place, and their uniforms run big. They have one called a self defense uniform that is a cross between a judo/karate gi. Might be the perfect combo your looking for. Hope this helps :asian:
They actually aren't that big in draught, the uniforms from Kwon, one of the guys at our club is about 6'4" and about 250, he ordered a size 8 from them, and the pants about came up to his neck, and the top looked like a 2 man tent, so instead of returning it the instructor asked if anyone else could use it...
Along came Kurt who is about 6' and 325 lbs, the jacket wouldn't even close on him...

kelly keltner

Black Belt
Reaction score
Anshin out of I believe New Hampshire makes a great xl and xxl Gi. I don't have a phone number, but do a google search on them and their web site should be there.

kelly

kanjc

Orange Belt
Reaction score
supernix said:
I am 5' 6" and currently weigh 270lbs might be a little lighter tonight after me and my father went hiking up Table Rock mountain.
Best I can tell I should get a 8 but not sure and from who. I am having troubles connecting to the Century site right now though.

Thanks for all the helpful replies.
I feel you on this one. I am 5'7" (on a good day) and float between 250 and 270 lbs, I have about a 52" chest. I purchased a size 7 TKD uniform from Techno and took it in to have about 9" taken off the legs and about 4" off of the sleeves. Best bet is to get a 7 or 8 and have it hemmed and then as you lose weight then you can look at other uniforms. I am purchasing a size 6 for tournaments and I don't plan on going to tournements until I can fit my fat butt into it... :)

OP
C

clapping_tiger

I used to be the enrollment director at our school and had to fit students for new uniforms, I know for a fact that Century does carry a size 8 if that is the size you need. But you will need to have the hemmed. If I remember right they were a little bit more expensive than the rest also.

Latest Discussions