Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Easy Turkey Enchilada Casserole

This can be halved.

13" x 9" casserole dish, ungreased
4 cups shredded turkey
28 oz. red enchilada sauce
8-10 oz. sour cream (whatever you have on hand)
4 oz. can mild chilis
3 T. of finely chopped onion
4 cups shredded cheese (I use the Fiesta blend from Wal-Mart; Colby is really good, too) You can reduce the amount of cheese if you like.
12 - 14 corn tortillas, torn into pieces

Preheat oven to 350.

Whisk together the sauce ingredients: enchilada sauce, sour cream and mild chilis until well-blended.

Layer one-third of the sauce in bottom of casserole. Layer half of the torn corn tortillas over the sauce. Layer half of the chicken. Layer half of the cheese. Sprinkle half of the onions. Drizzle a third of the sauce on top. Repeat beginning with the corn tortilla layer. Make sure the corn tortillas are covered by sauce so they don't dry out when heating.

Cook uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Alternately, you can cover the casserole with plastic wrap and heat in the microwave (works well).

Optional: for extra flavor, chop a handful of cilantro (also called Chinese parsley, flat-leaf parsley or Italian parsley) and add to the layers.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mmmmmmmmm

I might make this ....

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's an enchilada? I heard it mentioned on the tv a lot but have never known what it is lol!
What sort of cheese? We don't have brands as such just regional cheeses (a lot lol) Cheddar, Wensleydale ( if you've ever seen Wallace and Gromit?) Leicester etc etc?
My son likes the sound of this!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Enchiladas are Tex-Mex. They're a corn tortilla, often either very lightly fried in oil or dipped in a sauce to soften it, then rolled around a filling, which typically contains cheese, meat (either chicken or beef), or seafood. They're served smothered in a sauce, typically red, though sometimes white.

EnchiladaCombodePollo.jpg

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Enchiladas are Tex-Mex. They're a corn tortilla, often either very lightly fried in oil or dipped in a sauce to soften it, then rolled around a filling, which typically contains cheese, meat (either chicken or beef), or seafood. They're served smothered in a sauce, typically red, though sometimes white.

"Enchilada," comes from the past-participle of enchilidar, "to season with chili." They are Mexican,Salvadoran, Chilean, Guatemalan, Honduran, Nicarauguan, Tex-Mex, New Mexican, Northern New Mexican (there is a BIG difference) and Californian. They're made from tortillas-often corn, but also flour or blue corn-often rolled, but sometimes stacked flat atop each other, with a savory mix-meat, beans, seafood,chicken, clabacitas (squash), and served with a chili sauce-red or green in New Mexico, (that's the official state question: Red or green? :lol:)

Cheese, typically cheddar, monterrey jack or asiago, or some combination thereof. Variants often use sauces like cream of mushroom soup, or a
"white sauce." They're usually assembled and baked in the oven.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you! My son says that looks wonderful and is off to try and make it!

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thank you! My son says that looks wonderful and is off to try and make it!
Some like a little more flavor, so the cilantro is a good addition.

You can also use a verde (green) sauce - there is a green enchilada sauce that is used quite often.

Cream of Chicken soup can be combined with any of the enchilada sauces to make a tasty sauce.

In truth, the canned enchilada sauces don't compare with homemade enchilada sauce. The typical red enchilada sauce is a red gravy (or roux) - you melt some fat, add some flour and brown the flour, then add a water and chili powder mixture gradually. I've done this a lot!

Cheese - any mild cow cheese is good. Even extra sharp could be used, just not as much.

If using whole tortillas, they can be heated briefly in the microwave to soften them instead of being dipped in oil.

Nowadays, I prefer to just tear the tortillas. It works out so well!

Latest Discussions