First time using 14 oz gloves

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MMA, 8oz or the smallest allowed. It mimics better bare hands but, of course, I must have full control on delivered power (which is a great skill to have).

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
That does not sound logic in terms of power

Ok, try this.

Punch a wall with bare hands.

Now wrap your hands and put on 12-16oz gloves.

In which configuration can you hit harder without pain?

If you measure the impact power, in say psi, it might actually be higher with bare hands (because less surface area on contact), but the overall transmission of force will be greater with gloves.

Now punch the front of a skull.

No gloves means greater risk of cuts and local haemorrhage to the person getting hit, with gloves means greater risk of concussion and brain injury.

I'm open to any argument you can present to the contrary.

kickillustrated

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ok, try this.

Punch a wall with bare hands.

Now wrap your hands and put on 12-16oz gloves.

In which configuration can you hit harder without pain?

No, it still does not make sense. The glove has padding and the material absorbs a decent part of kinetic energy by transforming it to heat. In addition the velocity of the punch is lowered by the resistance of the material.

There is a simple formula: E=mc2. It means energy at impact is lower when acceleration slows down. That is the case with gloves. The padding decelerates impact speed. Therefore energy at the time of actual impact is a lot lower.

If your explanation were correct, then breaking boards in karate would be much easier wearing gloves compared to doing it bare knuckle.

It comes down to a simple arithmetic exercise.

The risk of concussions isn't bigger with gloves. One hard punch is all that it takes to get a concussion. The harder the punch, the bigger the health risk. With gloves and headgear that risk is lowered of course. However, if you do get hit too much gloves and headgear won't help avoiding concussions. But what person would want to get hit more because he thinks he won't get knocked out in the first place? You can't win a fight by eating punches. You have to learn avoiding them and use the available protection as a last resort for unexpected damage.

Last edited:

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
No, it still does not make sense. The glove has padding and the material absorbs a decent part of kinetic energy by transforming it to heat. In addition the velocity of the punch is lowered my the resistance of the material.

There is a simple formula: E=mc2. It means energy at impact is lower when acceleration slows down. That is the case with gloves. The padding decelerates impact speed. Therefore energy at the time of actual impact is a lot lower.

If your explanation were correct, then breaking boards in karate would be much easier wearing gloves compared to doing it bare knuckle.

It comes down to a simple arithmetic exercise.

The risk of concussions isn't bigger with gloves. One hard punch is all that it takes to get a concussion. With gloves and headgear that risk is lowered of course. However, if you do get hit too much gloves and headgear won't help avoiding concussions.

You're not getting it are you?

If I hit you twice as hard, but a quarter of that energy is absorbed/converted by the padding, you're still getting hit 1.5 times as hard.

You might not get the cuts and bruises from my knuckles, but your head moves more violently - and it's that movement which does the internal damage, your brain rattling around inside your skull.

If you only hit as hard with gloves as you would without, then the impact is reduced.

Gloves for board breaking doesn't work because the force, while greater, is spread over a much larger surface area which is easier for the board to support. Look at shelving - industrial stuff has a point load rating, and a far higher evenly distributed load rating.

kickillustrated

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Gloves for board breaking doesn't work because the force, while greater, is spread over a much larger surface area which is easier for the board to support. Look at shelving - industrial stuff has a point load rating, and a far higher evenly distributed load rating.

You can cut the padding so it matches the striking surface. Make them as tiny as the main 2 knuckles area. That way the energy won't be diluted sideways. Try it and you will see the boards won't break just as easy.

Your claim people can punch twice as hard with a glove has no merritt. Statistics of AIBA show there have been a lot more knockouts in amateur boxing in the era before Georg Bruckner discovered polyurethane as a padding for gloves and headgear. I remember my first amateur boxing fights around 1984. We used BERG gloves. No padding except for ross hair that was pulled aside and a bit of stinky leather. Length of bandages was limited to very short wraps. Essentially, it WAS bare knuckle fighting back then. And around half the fights ended with broken noses, busted jaws and classic knockouts. You won't see that anymore, today. I was one of very few guys in my club who escaped hand and arm fractures, but my nose bled a few times.

Peace.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
You can cut the padding so it matches the striking surface. Make them as tiny as the main 2 knuckles area. That way the energy won't be diluted sideways. Try it and you will see the boards won't break just as easy.

Your claim people can punch twice as hard with a glove has no merritt. Statistics of AIBA show there have been a lot more knockouts in amateur boxing in the era before Georg Bruckner discovered polyurethane as a padding for gloves and headgear. I remember my first amateur boxing fights around 1984. We used BERG gloves. No padding except for ross hair that was pulled aside and a bit of stinky leather. Length of bandages was limited to very short wraps. Essentially, it WAS bare knuckle fighting back then. And around half the fights ended with broken noses, busted jaws and classic knockouts. You won't see that anymore, today. I was one of very few guys in my club who escaped hand and arm fractures, but my nose bled a few times.

Peace.

I honestly can't be bothered any more.

Suggesting cutting the padding as a comparison during board breaking clearly illustrates you have little understanding of the physics involved.

So yeah, whatever.

I'm completely wrong, gloves make hitting and getting hit 100% safe for both parties. Whatever was I thinking.

Latest Discussions