I pulled my leg (Literally)

Nyrotic

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm a young Kung Fu practitioner, the kind that places almost all of his emphasis on kicks. Now, about a month ago, I was doing the forward splits (Right leg in front, and I've never really been able to go all the way down in the splits up until about right when my leg was injured), and I started hearing a crack or tear about three times in my right hip. Right after that, it hurt profusely for about 10 minutes, then the pain went away. But ever since then, and even 'til now, whenever I try stretching my right leg in almost ANY direction, it starts hurting badly again.

Now I'm wondering, will this wound of mine heal soon? Or ever for that matter? Or should I give up on kicking for the next few years and practice boxing or ninjutsu for a while (I love ninjutsu, in that it seems to have alot of take-down-like moves).

Desperate for an answer,
Anthony

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm a young Kung Fu practitioner, the kind that places almost all of his emphasis on kicks. Now, about a month ago, I was doing the forward splits (Right leg in front, and I've never really been able to go all the way down in the splits up until about right when my leg was injured), and I started hearing a crack or tear about three times in my right hip. Right after that, it hurt profusely for about 10 minutes, then the pain went away. But ever since then, and even 'til now, whenever I try stretching my right leg in almost ANY direction, it starts hurting badly again.

Now I'm wondering, will this wound of mine heal soon? Or ever for that matter? Or should I give up on kicking for the next few years and practice boxing or ninjutsu for a while (I love ninjutsu, in that it seems to have alot of take-down-like moves).

Desperate for an answer,
Anthony

Welcome to Martial Talk. :)

Anthony you really need to see a doctor NOW.

Do not ignore your body. Some injuries can heal perfectly fine with proper treatment, others become permanent conditions if ignored.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol is right. Pain is your body's way of telling you something is wrong. It could be a sprain - on the other hand, you may have torn a ligament or injured the joint. Only a doctor can tell you for sure.

Let us know how it goes.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Stop stretching that leg and see a doctor as soon as possible, like tomorrow morning.

Jeff

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seek true medical help. This could be something as simple as a pulled muscle / ligament / tendon, or as complex as a torn muscle / ligament / tendon.

Regardless of what it is, be patient while you recover. It took me about 18 months before my "turf toe" felt normal again, and when I strained my hip flexor, that also took about a year to recover 90% of its use.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Desperate for an answer,
Anthony

Sounds like you pushed yourself a bit further than your body allowed. One important thing about stretching, is to remember to do it slowly, taking your time. Make sure that you're warmed up good before you begin to stretch.

As for the injury..I suggest going to a doctor to have your leg looked at. Its very possible that you could've pulled/torn something. The healing process depends on you. I'd take it easy until you have this looked at.

Mike

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Anthony---welcome to MT and a bunch of good advice as per the preceding posts. Really, get to your doctor asap or sooner---s/he'll probably want to do an MRI to see just what kind of soft tissue damage you've sustained. Don't wait---things that can be fixed fairly simply early on can require much more elaborate treatment later. Let us know what they tell you.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I can't add anything to the already sound advice given but I would like to say Welcome to Martial Talk! (now, get yourself to the doc!)

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Get to the doctor very quickly. I did the same thing and the "popping" you heard is your tendon. Depending on ow bad it is, you may have to have surgery.

Latest Discussions