Leg question

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a question about hips...I was reading in another forum in a thread about kicking basics that some people have been too aggressive with stretching, and have heard popping sounds from their hip flexors...

When I was a green belt, which has been 12 or so years ago, I was not able to kick above my waiste, until one day in class I was doing a kicking drill, and I was really pushing myself to kick hard. I was doing sidekicks, and kicked at one point and heard my left hip pop first, which hurt badly enough that I almost fell...but I kept going...so when I kicked again, on my right leg, it did the same thing. Ever since then, I was able to kick higher and stronger, but now I have the overwhelming urge to "pop" my hips, much like you would pop your fingers. I know this isn't the best thing in the world for my legs, but is this a dangerous thing?

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
. I know this isn't the best thing in the world for my legs, but is this a dangerous thing?
If you are in pain or in doubt see a doctor who unlike me has an x-ray machine to see how bad the damage is. If you are not experiencing pain and you can walk and move the Hip leg and lower back freely than I would not worry about it. I myself have had my knee pop out and have had my hip pop as well but not enough to require medical attention due to no pain and all that jazz.
I personally find massaging the area to work well.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When in doubt, see a doctor. Some damage is cumulative over time; there might not be any at all - but it's better to see a doctor and be sure than to not see one and find out a little too late.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
As Kacey said, see a doctor. If you are hearing a popping you are most likely grinding the crown of cartilage on the head of the femur. This IS bad. If you keep going you risk subluxation of the hip joint and possible permanent damage. It is never pretty.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a question about hips...I was reading in another forum in a thread about kicking basics that some people have been too aggressive with stretching, and have heard popping sounds from their hip flexors...

When I was a green belt, which has been 12 or so years ago, I was not able to kick above my waiste, until one day in class I was doing a kicking drill, and I was really pushing myself to kick hard. I was doing sidekicks, and kicked at one point and heard my left hip pop first, which hurt badly enough that I almost fell...but I kept going...so when I kicked again, on my right leg, it did the same thing. Ever since then, I was able to kick higher and stronger, but now I have the overwhelming urge to "pop" my hips, much like you would pop your fingers. I know this isn't the best thing in the world for my legs, but is this a dangerous thing?

To echo what the others have said, please see a doctor. Better to have it checked out, than to risk further damage. Also, keep in mind that everyone is built differently. Sure, we all want to push ourselves, but there are still limits. It may just be physically impossible for someone to kick over their head, so no matter how much they try, its not going to happen.

Stretching, IMO, is one of those things that needs to be done gradually and also after you're warmed up. Personally, my focus is more on having a solid kick, rather than how high I can get it.

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
I go to a chiroprator all the time to get my back "popped" or adjusted as they call it. He told me that it does not hurt to pop your neck, fingers, or back. I would assume it is the same with your hips. As he said all your doing is forcing air out between the joints. Regardless of the myth, popping your knuckles does not cause arthritis like many people claim it does.

Latest Discussions