I need some good standing-up shoes

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hi all,

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I recently took a job that involves standing stationary for several hours on a concrete floor. I really need some good shoes for that. They have to be solid black, and, sadly, they have to be relatively cheap. I'd love some suggestions.

(I am trying to take a break from the computer nowadays after some eye strain, so I may be a little slow to respond. But I really would like to hear from anyone with some good ideas.)

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
My wife was in a similar situation, several years back.
As a lab worker she was on her feet the entire day, standing and walking, causing her pain to her feet and legs.

The solution was to go to an outdoor activity store (the ones that sell survival gear, tents, hiking shoes, etc) and find a pair of good and solid hiking shoes. As soon as she did that, her problems went away. Keep in mind that even then, she had to replace the in-soles every half year because all the flex had gone out of them. And again, replacing them with quality in-soles and not the cheap foam ones.

I realize that this is not a cheap solution. 100$ to 150$ is easily spent on good hiking shoes. Otoh you will be wearing them 12 hours per day or so. Shoes are the one thing I would not skimp on, because of the time every day they're in use, and the difference they make. If there is any way you can make it work, get a good pair of hiking shoes.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Crocs are comfortable and often inexpensive. There are bunch of different styles to chose from as well :)

http://www.crocs.com/

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bruno's advice is sound but if it is impractical I would suggest that you get yourself a light pair of low boots and fit them with surgical insoles.

After initial scepticism about them I finally gave in and bought some a few months ago and they have worked wonders for my plantar fasciitus.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
If my initial advice is not possible, perhaps a pair of good socks combined with army boots is a solution. they'll be less comfortable, but once they're broken in they're ok. Back in the day when I had my 'black' phase, I wore them a lot.

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What about nursing shoes? I know most nurses just wear sneakers now, but I remember scrubs stores used to sell really ugly shoes for working on your feet all day.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Spend the money on good shoes. Nothing will make you more miserable than sore feet. If you can wear sneaker-type shoes, go for them. Otherwise, Rockport shoes are light and comfortable, or a good pair of boots. I've personally been just as satisfied with inexpensive boots from Sears and KMart as with fancy special brands like Magnum. In fact, the store brands have lasted longer...

Get good insoles, and replace them regularly. They make a big difference in comfort.

Don't get Crocs for your job. They don't protect your feet the way you'll want.

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
This is what I wear, basically day in and day out. And like Sukerkin, I was experiencing bad plantar's fasciitis. Haven't experienced it since (aside from those days that I end up wearing dress shoes rather than these).

http://www.zappos.com/merrell-chameleon3-stretch-black

They're not cheap, but they're so worth it. I was a stay-at-home dad, so I always put flip flops on, because I was carrying my son. These things offer great support AND can be put on without hands. Love them.

Any Merrells are a good bet though.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was going to say military boots or hiking boots, making sure you change the insoles on a regular basis, but its been said! Even the boots may need to be changed a couple of times a year.

Cross trainers, black, from Nike or New Balance.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good thick socks are important as are proper insoles. Rockports aren't especially inexpensive, but are great walking shoes.

OP
Flea

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I've also been suggested SAS, Danskos, and Aerosoles. The military boot thing never dawned on me.

I bought a pair of Dickey's and wore them for a shift last night. They were decent, but far from perfect. I may return them, at least for a slightly different size. A big motivator in my choosing them was that they were on clearance for $30.

Usually I spare no expense for footwear because I know exactly how important it is. I don't have much choice right now, but I'll see what I can find on sale.

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
How stationary is your work space? I know at a lot of mill jobs, production jobs etc. people will put a rubber/padded mat down where they work. Provides cushion and insulation.

Also as far as the suggestion to spend the extra money on the good shoes: It probably will work out to be as economical or more so than buying cheap shoes because good shoes last for ever.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
You need a good pair of Australian Blundstone boots , Aussie tough and built to survive anything just short of a nuclear blast.

They sell them over there in America , they are a bit pricey at $147.00 U.S but you will be able to hand them down to your grand children.

bl_510.jpg

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Haha @ mook jong man... bit of national pride coming through? ;)

I was going to say Birkenstock make reallly comfy shoes. I used to work in hospitality so was constantly on my feet for 12 hours a day or more and they were brilliant. Again a little more pricey but they have good sales on often so you can score a bargain

Latest Discussions