I need some advice regarding fear.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thank you for your consideration. The injury happened right before I lift him he threw himself backwards and grabbed my shirt, however I kept my grip on his arm, so when I fell on him something broke.
It is hard to blame anything on anyone during an awkward fall. It is largely out of anyone's control. I have a very hard time seeing how it was anyone's fault. Life happens. I hope you can think through it and move forward.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Here's a little psychological insight (strictly amateur!)

About 6 months ago I injured one of my peers during practice, I was doing a Morote Seoi Nage something went wrong and I broke his arm.

This tells me you have been feeling guilty about what happened, so this is stopping you from going at it the way you're used to. The best way to get past guilt is to analyze why you feel guilty, and resolve the guilt by doing what you can to ensure that you don't repeat the incident that caused the guilt. From your initial statements, you hadn't gotten to that point yet. However, during this thread, I have seen this ...
The injury happened right before I lift him he threw himself backwards and grabbed my shirt, however I kept my grip on his arm, so when I fell on him something broke.
... and this ...
I didn't complete my throw I lost my balance and fell backwards with/on him while holding his arm.
Which tells me you have thought about it and now understand exactly how it happened. Then you wrote this ...
You are right my master told me some time ago to release my grip when I lose MY balance, I practice Judo so this happens often and the one time that I don't release this happens, thanks for the advice.
Which tells me you have acknowledged that you forgot to do something you were taught (that happens to all of us, me more than most it seems! :) ) and will now be doubly sure not to forget it again. To me, this says that you have devised a plan to prevent it from happening again, so you should now be able to move on from the guilt and no longer allow it to affect your performance. If you carefully consider each step ... event that caused the guilt, reason the event happened, and the plan to prevent a reoccurrence, you should be able to put the whole thing behind you and move forward as an improved person since we all learn and grow from examining our mistakes.

There you go. That will be 5 cents please ... :)

OP
O

Obsidian Fury

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just got back from practice and it went great! I’m not quite there yet but I was able to be more aggressive and go on the offensive, with time I might even progress further. Thanks everyone.

D

Deleted member 34973

Just remind yourself that this is what the technique was for, it worked. You need to understand that this is the risk of Martial Arts. If you train and you are training intensely, people will get hurt.

Get with the same person when they are healed, and go over the technique with them again, but dissect it and the situation that led to the break. This will help both you and him/her and will allow you to turn the destructive fear you have, into a constructive fear.

Work through it and you will be the better for it.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I didn't complete my throw ...
Old saying said that if you want to hurt your opponent, you only throw him half way. For example, when you use hip throw on your opponent, in the middle of the throw, you stop and move your body side way, your opponent's head will slide straight down to the ground.

I can use hip throw on my opponent and his body won't even touch on the ground. I can hold my opponent in my arms as holding a baby. To protect your training partner, that may be the extreme.

Here is one example to protect your opponent in training.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is why in Chinese wrestling, the moment that you feel that you lose your balance, you release all your grips and ready to fall. This way, less chance to have injury. Unfortunately the BJJ pull guide violates that guideline big time.

When I was a beginner, one day I wrestled with someone. When he threw me, I didn't release my grips on time, I pulled him down with me (like BJJ pull guard). he dropped his elbow right on top of my heart. When I got back up, suddenly everything turned to darkness, and I fell back down again. I almost got myself killed that day.
There's a technique to pulling guard properly so you maintain control of your opponent and protect yourself.

I agree that just holding on to an opponent as you are being thrown is usually a bad idea. I drill that into my beginning students because they often have an instinctive reaction to stiffen up and grab on to the person throwing them, both of which increase their chance of getting hurt.

watching

Green Belt
Reaction score
When my teacher was young, one day he trained the square bag throwing with his classmates. When he caught the bag, turned, and threw to his next partner, an old lady passed by. That 23 lb bag hit on the old lady's head and killed her. That accident didn't stop my teacher's MA training for the rest of his life.

At least in your MA training, you have not killed anybody yet.

Accident could happen in the past, it can happen during the present time, it will happen in the future too.

Why was an old lady just walking by while these guys were training?

OP
O

Obsidian Fury

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just remind yourself that this is what the technique was for, it worked. You need to understand that this is the risk of Martial Arts. If you train and you are training intensely, people will get hurt.

Get with the same person when they are healed, and go over the technique with them again, but dissect it and the situation that led to the break. This will help both you and him/her and will allow you to turn the destructive fear you have, into a constructive fear.

Work through it and you will be the better for it.

Thanks I’ll try my best today.