Fear of Falling!

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is no real substitute for learning how to throw a human being than actually throwing a human being.

So it comes down to reciprocity: I'll let YOU throw ME and you let ME throw YOU.

Falling technique is all about surviving your turn getting thrown.

And there ARE things that are learned about throwing by being thrown, as well.

I have to go with my peer on this one to a T. However I make my students do so many falling reps it is 2nd nature for them. If you are in Judo, Hapkido, any throwing art then well as my good ol dad would say "I have had a long career in hapkido because I can fall." He's been at it since 1973 and continues, so I guess there is truth in the saying.

Plus there are two variations of falling no matter what. 1. You hit the deck with one thud and recover, 2. The ground hits you. I don't recommend #2 at all.

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have to go with my peer on this one to a T. However I make my students do so many falling reps it is 2nd nature for them. If you are in Judo, Hapkido, any throwing art then well as my good ol dad would say "I have had a long career in hapkido because I can fall." He's been at it since 1973 and continues, so I guess there is truth in the saying.

Plus there are two variations of falling no matter what. 1. You hit the deck with one thud and recover, 2. :rofl:

YinYang

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Im sure you already know, but it warrants saying... the more you resist the fall the greater the chance of injury. Your going to have to relax and get back on the horse so to speak, possibly starting from a closer-to-the-mat position with more gentle throws as you work back to full force.

Andrew

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
I understand the OP's frustration. I was terrified of doing a standing front breakfall for my yellow belt test. What I did was, I stacked up a bunch of mats, and practised, taking away one mat at a time until I was comfortable.

In this vein, can you practice being thrown onto a crash mat or a stack of mats, just to build that confidence.

Training wheels for ukemi.

Latest Discussions