Newbie needs advice

OP
Endow

Endow

White Belt
Reaction score
Sad sad news :waah:

Today i went to the two gyms where Aikido was supposedly taught.It turns out both haven't got Aikido anymore :waah: !

What am I gonna do now?!!! :waah:

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome bud, happy learning and posting. Now with that said, I am 31: I have my brown in Judo, and orange in Tae kwon Do and hapkido. Thats not the earth shattering news to show you that it is possible for you to learn Judo.

No, the news is: I have to wear two leg braces all the time. For a year and a half my back was so bad, along with my pre-existing leg issues that I wore a back brace and walked with a cane.

You can do it. The results wont be immediate, however you should train. Do something, pick an art and go with it. You will be fine.

Again, welcome.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Endow said:
Sad sad news :waah:

Today i went to the two gyms where Aikido was supposedly taught.It turns out both haven't got Aikido anymore :waah: !

What am I gonna do now?!!! :waah:

Do what a true Aikidoist would do . . . . . . roll with the punches! :asian:

kingkong89

Green Belt
Reaction score
the best thing to do is find an art you have interest in, even though you are more legs than hands it is best to work on both. i have been in martial arts for a long time and during that time i have studied many arts. you can't be forced into an art it has to feel right. Maybe you could try american karate, it has a bit of several styles.

as for judo and akido, think judo involves a lot of ground fighting and throws, akido deals with relaxation and mind and breath power, it is a little more relaxed.

whitetiger2001

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
First find a style that you want to pursue amd spend some time in schools that teach it but as an observer. Most will let you watch a couple of cklasses. Ask any questions you feel you need to and base your decision on your observations and the responses to the questions. Most schools will also offer a trial period, say two or three classes for you to get a feel for what they're going to teach you. Take your time, this is an important journey and like all journeys, must be started with care. But it also one that will profoundly impact your life in many ways

As for age, there is no limit to how young you have to be to start. I started when I was 35 and became a 2nd dan in Shaolinn Kempo as well as an assistant instructor. Age is meaningless here, you'll find you have limits but so doeas evreyone. You'll find wayt to work within them and find ways to get around them. I've seen forms done by people in wheelchairs. You adapt the material to you. everyone does. I'm not as flexible in the hips as I'd like and that afects my kicking but I still ork it and make up for that deficiency with upper body power and speed in hy blocks and hand strikes.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't be so concerned with what you are "learning."

It's not about learning a bunch of techniques: it's about TRAINING what you DO know.

You could "learn" a whole system in a couple of months, but TRAINING what you learn takes years.

Also, regarding your "weak" bones: bones are just like muscle -- they get stronger or weaker depending on if you stress them or prevent them from ever being stressed.

I wish I had started at 19 -- I waited till I was an old fogey at 22 ;)

eismann31

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Starting at 20 is great. I started to seriously study martial arts at age 31. While I am older than most beginners, I find that at 31 I still have a decent amount of flexibilty and am able to learn the techniques. I started by studying TKD a couple times a few years ago while in South Korea, but I did not learn much from the sporadic lessons. Earlier this year, I started studying Nahate Goju Ryu Karate. I enjoy this martial art. I have also learned a little judo, but I did not enjoy it as well. I had the same problem you had in the past; I did not fall well. I would like to try Aikido. I find the concepts interesting. The only way for you to know whether you like a style or not is to try it. Good luck in your search!

xMarishltenx

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well I'm 20 now, I started when I was 19. I never thought I was too old to learn at all, I just thought I might have been past my... "prime time" for learning, that I wouldn't pick things up fast enough or never be as good as I could have been if I had started sooner.

But I've changed my mind.

Latest Discussions