I love basics!!!!

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yestarday sambunim told us we were going to do basics, the dojang was crowded.

Oh boy I really love the basics, we did hand defenses,blockes,punches and kicks all the basic ones and then we practiced poomsae.

It's trough basics that I really feel the magic and martilaity of TKD and doing basics and polish them I can see if my techs are correct.

I just feel right when perform a low block (are makki) with a counter mid section punch (baro chirugi), or then perform a well ap chagi to chin level that I really feel happy.

I just love the basics, and ....do you?

Manny

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Basics are the segments of all advanced techniques. If basics are ingrained from 1000's of repetitions, then our base is solid. Gotta, "love those basics".
icon7.gif
As an aside, in every relationship that needs repair work, the saying is, lets get back to basics. Hey, works for me both ways.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I love PRACTICAL basics. There's a time and a place for everything, but these days I don't put anyone but the greenest of students into line practice, kicking and punching the air. Bag work, pad punching, and shield kicking are staples though.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Atutude, it's the key. I am developing a new friendship with two young men in the dojan (much more younger than I) that have a good attitude and they push me a little to do my best and viceversa.

I love the good attitude on basics.

Manny

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd be interested in hearing how often basics are worked on in your instructor's clas, Manny. This isn't a slam but doesn't he cover them in every class?

It's important to train in sparring, of course, as well as in patterns and self-defense but fundamental exercises should be drilled over and over in order to develop muscle memory. Basics can certainly include kicking drills that will later be used in free sparring but regardless of what form they take or what techniques are covered they should be drilled incessantly.

Pax,

Chris

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We work on Basic everyday for atleast 30 minutes, it is the foundation to every art.

Latest Discussions