As I get older

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm having troubles with my roundhouse kick or round kick and this is it, as I get older it seems my joints and muscles does not allow me to perform round kicks or roundhouse kicks to the head, I need to turn mi hips in order to reach the head level and kick to two o'clock, i just can't turn my hips to the deliver a good kick.

My roundhose kick to the stomach is not a big deal but raising my chamber leg and then turn hips to send the kick is a little problematic.

This piss me a lot.

Manny

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can keep a lot of your flexibility and strength (if not increase it - some do) by keeping up with a regular stretching and conditioning routine.

Yoga. I swear by it, but it's hardly the only means of staying 'young'. The key is to find what works for you and to stick with it. Even 10 minutes a day is much, much better than nothing.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
You can keep a lot of your flexibility and strength (if not increase it - some do) by keeping up with a regular stretching and conditioning routine.

Yoga. I swear by it, but it's hardly the only means of staying 'young'. The key is to find what works for you and to stick with it. Even 10 minutes a day is much, much better than nothing.

Yeap, this is true, when I come early to dojang I do my own warmp up and felxibility to my own passes my kicks are .... easier but this is not so ofthen.

I will try to stay afther class then to do more flexibility.

Manny

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score

This is so true. Most people think that the guys that can kick high over 40 or so are just gifted. Not true. They just never stopped and work at it every day. Me being one of them.

Because I am right legged I can still kick with my right leg like I was 20. But my left can only kick well, chest high. This is due to only kicking to the mid section with my left. I use the right all the time to kick to the head. So sadly my left is not as flexible. I guess I need to start kicking to the head more with my left to get it as good as my right.

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It rattles my 9yo son that we have to go to class so early so I can stretch out, but the 5 minutes of stretching we do at the beginning of class isn't enough for me.

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am with dancingalone yoga is the way to go. I had never tried yoga till I joined a gym that offered it free as a part of their package. I have found that it has helped my flexibility and balance a lot.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am with dancingalone yoga is the way to go. I had never tried yoga till I joined a gym that offered it free as a part of their package. I have found that it has helped my flexibility and balance a lot.

Kelly, I started doing it when I suffered a bulging disk (L5). My physical therapist suggested it as an alternative practice to the stretches and exercises he was teaching me, when I mentioned I was a martial artist. He thought it might resonate more with me.

After finishing my treatment course with him, I investigated yoga and discovered that many of the same stretches and movements I learned from the PT guy were also found in the various yoga asanas!

These days I'm fond of a daily vinyasa yoga practice, since it's a more athletic style, but I'm very open to learning how different yoga styles do things or what they choose to emphasize.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sometimes old injuries affect you later in life.

You might have taken a fall or been thrown down when you were younger. At the time you just shook it off and kept going, and it seemed to heal up OK. But it's possible that your hips were knocked a bit out of alignment and it is affecting you now. These old things can take time to really set in, and then they can make a difference.

You could get checked out by a good physical therapist, who could then help you in getting your hips properly aligned again, and get the core muscles strengthened to hold the hips in their proper position again. It's a slow process, but it can make a huge difference.

I've been dealing with this same problem for several months, and I suspect it's due to an old injury from years ago. I ended up with a groin pull injury, and the PT discovered that my hips are out of alignment. I've been working on a series of stretches and exercises to build the strength, as we get my hips back into proper alignment. It's helped the groin pull to heal up, tho like I said, it's a slow process. It's been months now that I've been working on it.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm having troubles with my roundhouse kick or round kick and this is it, as I get older it seems my joints and muscles does not allow me to perform round kicks or roundhouse kicks to the head, I need to turn mi hips in order to reach the head level and kick to two o'clock, i just can't turn my hips to the deliver a good kick.

My roundhose kick to the stomach is not a big deal but raising my chamber leg and then turn hips to send the kick is a little problematic.

This piss me a lot.

Manny
I have no worries kicking high. I can still reach the stomach with my front kick and my roundhouse takes out the knee!!
icon10.gif

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sometimes old injuries affect you later in life.

You might have taken a fall or been thrown down when you were younger. At the time you just shook it off and kept going, and it seemed to heal up OK. But it's possible that your hips were knocked a bit out of alignment and it is affecting you now. These old things can take time to really set in, and then they can make a difference.

You could get checked out by a good physical therapist, who could then help you in getting your hips properly aligned again, and get the core muscles strengthened to hold the hips in their proper position again. It's a slow process, but it can make a huge difference.

I've been dealing with this same problem for several months, and I suspect it's due to an old injury from years ago. I ended up with a groin pull injury, and the PT discovered that my hips are out of alignment. I've been working on a series of stretches and exercises to build the strength, as we get my hips back into proper alignment. It's helped the groin pull to heal up, tho like I said, it's a slow process. It's been months now that I've been working on it.

Let's start saying I wasn't flexible ever, even in my youth I was a regular about flexibility but as I was taller then the average Mexican (in those days) my kicks very nice at head level, however never could do full splits and won't ever.

For me is easy to start very relaxed at my own and slowly, iit can take me 30 minutes to do a nice warm up with stretches to do nice kicks like ax kicks,fornt kicks, side kicks spining kicks, but the roundhouse kick is taking me alot.

Manny

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Let's start saying I wasn't flexible ever, even in my youth I was a regular about flexibility but as I was taller then the average Mexican (in those days) my kicks very nice at head level, however never could do full splits and won't ever.

For me is easy to start very relaxed at my own and slowly, iit can take me 30 minutes to do a nice warm up with stretches to do nice kicks like ax kicks,fornt kicks, side kicks spining kicks, but the roundhouse kick is taking me alot.

Manny

I guess what I was saying is that you might not even realize your hips are out of alignment. It can be subtle and not obvious to someone who lacks the training to recognize it. But the results can be startling.

My wife also trains, and she remembers one day, years ago, when she got thrown down on the floor, rolling across her hips. She bounced back from it well enough, but ever since that day she has had trouble with her roundhouse kick on one side. It just isn't as clean, and her flexibility is not as good. I'd bet that she also has misaligned hips now.

Just a suggestion, you might consider getting checked out.

Latest Discussions