I know my ground fighting skills are lacking, but Dang, not this bad

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do I ran into some interesting videos of non-professional fighters going at it. I was just curious to see how the average guys is able to handle it. I don't think I have ever seen ground fighting this bad before. I mean, I know I'm lacking in that area, but nothing like this.

Normally I think TKD practitioners have great footwork, but not this guy.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This group has a weird set of rules. They stood up a Bjj guy twice in the middle of a sub, but allowed this guy to sit on top of a fighter and hit him in the head over and over again. Bizarre.

Anyway, yeah learn some ground fighting. TKD guy is lucky he was on grass instead of a hard surface. Also the dude on top sucked at ground and pound.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Also the dude on top sucked at ground and pound.
Oh I was hoping that he was just going easy on the guy. He didn't look like he was putting much effort into it. I hope that's not all that he has in the tank.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh I was hoping that he was just going easy on the guy. He didn't look like he was putting much effort into it. I hope that's not all that he has in the tank.

His ground and pound sucked, but his mount was very good. That’s one of the most dominant positions in grappling, and it’s very hard to get out of when strikes are raining down on your head.

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kinda fun channel to watch
Don’t get the rules ‘though

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kinda fun channel to watch
Don’t get the rules ‘though

And some of the fights are rather lopsided.

Had some poor Judo guy up against what was advertised as a Thai boxer. Turns out the Thai Boxer also did Brazilian Jiujitsu and had stupidly long legs that gave him an advantage standing and on the ground. Judoka didn't have a chance.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
His ground and pound sucked, but his mount was very good. That’s one of the most dominant positions in grappling, and it’s very hard to get out of when strikes are raining down on your head.

To me, it was less of good mount and more of the kid on the bottom not being in Kansas anymore.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The worst thing about TKD, everyone knows you are going to kick, so they just wait for that moment. Kick was bad timing for that type of kick. He should have use a forward kick or side kick which has a goo chance to stop that forward movement by the Wing Chun guy. I kind of got the impression that the TKD was in TKD point sparring mode.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To me, it was less of good mount and more of the kid on the bottom not being in Kansas anymore.
Yeah. Regardless of what type of mount it was, I don't think it mattered all that much. The bottom guy did absolutely nothing to get himself out of that situation. I think he tried at the end, and his attempt was just going on his side without attempting any sort of bridge, hip control, arm control, or ankle trap. At the point that he ended up on the ground, no technical proficiency was needed from WC guy.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Well, it was good because his knees were inside his armpit. When the mount is that high, it makes it very hard to escape. He was conscious through the entire thing, he just could do anything except cover up.

Cephalopod

Green Belt
Reaction score
question to the ground fighters:
In that moment (2:33) when WT went from side control to full mount, how should TKD have reacted to prevent.
I'm guessing a hip bridge leading to a shrimp on his right side to keep WT 's momentum going so he sails right over the top? Something else?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In that moment (2:33) when WT went from side control to full mount, how should TKD have reacted to prevent.
I'm guessing a hip bridge leading to a shrimp on his right side to keep WT 's momentum going so he sails right over the top? Something else?
Before WT sent for the transition, TKD should already have had his near knee pulled up against WT's hip to block the stepover to mount. His arms should have been either wrapped around WT to hold him close and smother his punches or else framing on WT's neck to keep him away and upset his structure while TKD shrimped out to reach guard, reverse position, or regain his feet. Since his legs were disconnected from WT and his arms were just covering his face, he had no way to see or feel WT starting the transition to mount, which he would have needed in order to time a bridge or shrimp for an immediate escape.

Once he was mounted, he needed to shoulder walk backward so that WT's elbows weren't in his armpits, then use a body hug + bridge or bridge + knee bump to force WTs hands to the ground. Then the first option would be to hug WT's body close with one arm while wrapping one of WT's posted arms with the other, trap the ankle on the same side as the trapped arm, then bridge. (There are other options when that one is shut down, but that's what I teach my students first.)

From the looks of it, TKD guy either had zero ground fighting training or at most he got a few tips before hand but didn't spend enough time practicing to remember even the basics under stress. His reaction was pretty much exactly what we saw from pure strikers in the early days of MMA who had never encountered ground grappling. In this day and age, I don't see why anyone would knowingly enter an MMA match (even a casual, amateur one like we see here) without learning some ground fighting basics. Not saying he had to learn how to do armbars and such, just the basics of defending himself and getting back to his feet.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Before WT sent for the transition, TKD should already have had his near knee pulled up against WT's hip to block the stepover to mount. His arms should have been either wrapped around WT to hold him close and smother his punches or else framing on WT's neck to keep him away and upset his structure while TKD shrimped out to reach guard, reverse position, or regain his feet. Since his legs were disconnected from WT and his arms were just covering his face, he had no way to see or feel WT starting the transition to mount, which he would have needed in order to time a bridge or shrimp for an immediate escape.

Once he was mounted, he needed to shoulder walk backward so that WT's elbows weren't in his armpits, then use a body hug + bridge or bridge + knee bump to force WTs hands to the ground. Then the first option would be to hug WT's body close with one arm while wrapping one of WT's posted arms with the other, trap the ankle on the same side as the trapped arm, then bridge. (There are other options when that one is shut down, but that's what I teach my students first.)

From the looks of it, TKD guy either had zero ground fighting training or at most he got a few tips before hand but didn't spend enough time practicing to remember even the basics under stress. His reaction was pretty much exactly what we saw from pure strikers in the early days of MMA who had never encountered ground grappling. In this day and age, I don't see why anyone would knowingly enter an MMA match (even a casual, amateur one like we see here) without learning some ground fighting basics. Not saying he had to learn how to do armbars and such, just the basics of defending himself and getting back to his feet.
A lot of his basics were bad even before he hit the ground.

• The timing for his kick was horrible.
  • The placement for his kick was horrible.
  • The type of kick he used to deal with forward aggression was horrible
  • His choice to cover like he did was a bad choice.
  • Stand up grappling basics = He could have easily just dropped his stance and then grab the WC guy who was attacking high. The TKD guy literally had no level change ability.
  • His retreat was bad footwork. He fell because he stepped on the WC guys foot.
  • Ground fighting basics = None. He did try to grab hold of the guy but that was only to try to keep from falling. The point that he was falling was where he should have been thinking about what to do we he hits the ground.
Just basing it on how he came out bouncing around, he did a lot of point sparring TKD and he tried to fight the same way in the match. Maybe it's just me, but I would never use a round house type kick to address a forward advance. That's just asking to smothered.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Tony pretty much answered all of this. I'll just add that there were a couple of points in the mount where the guy on top guy was vulnerable to a possible hip bump in order to disrupt the position and open up for an escape. However, once he got the knee to the armpits, that's no longer an option. The mount with the knees in the armpits is one of those "You f____ed up a long time ago" positions.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tony pretty much answered all of this. I'll just add that there were a couple of points in the mount where the guy on top guy was vulnerable to a possible hip bump in order to disrupt the position and open up for an escape. However, once he got the knee to the armpits, that's no longer an option. The mount with the knees in the armpits is one of those "You f____ed up a long time ago" positions.

If they are not very good you can go under them.

I call it the under bum escape.

You get Triangled by someone decent. But I get away with it with noobs.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Otherwise when you think they are going to get mount. (Or any decent top control)So at the point the knee is coming over you are using a hundred percent energy to stop them, escape and stand up.

You see this with wrestling where they hit the ground and are scrambling to not let that position happen.

Because with striking you are better off gassing out than letting them get that position.