I have a question!

OP
DAC..florida

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Back to the topic, I heard that there were 10 original kwons and also some off shoots does any one here know the names.

G

Galvatron

Moo Duk Kwan, Chi Do Kwan, Chung Do Kwan, Song Moo Kwan, Chang Moo Kwan, Yun Moo Kwan, and the Oh Do Kwan are the only ones I'm readily aware of. I'm sure there are more though.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That history seems to contain a few mistakes such as the description of ITF sparring as point sparring and General Choi not wanting to use continous sparring. If he didn't want to use continuous sparring and he left as a result of that then why did he continue to use continuous sparring after he was totally in control of his own federation?! I'm always shocked the stuff people beleive without actually seeing for themselves firsthand.... you know ITF tells eachother that WTF is soft and weak and a game and WTF tells eachother the exact same thing... it's really silly. I go out and check them all out and realise it's all the same basically.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

D

Disco

I've got to agree with you. With GM Choi no longer with us, I wonder if things will change? Anyway, it does list the kwans as DAC was asking for.
:asian:

W

WaterCircleHarmony

i asked a WTF friend who General Choi was. He didn't know but was a 1st dan.

Langdow

Green Belt
Reaction score
Why should he have to know who Gen Choi is? He was not a part of the WTF and many schools never acknowledge him in any way. True he is part of TKD history, but just because a person is a 1st dan doesn't require that they know who Gen Choi is.

P

progressivetactics

agreed.....but really....I haven't been in TKD for about 20 years, And I know who he is/was.
Not everyone is a historian, but shouldn't some of the key figures of different arts (or the same arts) be taught in class?

G

Galvatron

Some people don't research their art beyond what they are taught, and for various reasons I'm sure many instructors under the WTF umbrella don't mention General Choi.
How many 1st dans can tell you who the current president of the WTF is??

Kodanjaclay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
<<Why should he have to know who Gen Choi is? He was not a part of the WTF and many schools never acknowledge him in any way. True he is part of TKD history, but just because a person is a 1st dan doesn't require that they know who Gen Choi is.>>

This is not entirely accurate. His actions helped contribute to the rise of the WTF. For historical reasons, he should be honored. It was he who unified the Kwans under the KTA. It was he who chose to use TKD as a method of remembering history. Granted, I don't care for some of the old politics, and being former military, I resent his traitorous actions; however, he was who he was, and like it or not, he made a significant contribution to both primary stles of TKD.

P

progressivetactics

but i never rec'd my first in TKD.

But maybe that is another good post idea......Should history teaching be a more dominant part of the arts?

Kodanjaclay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I believe it should. One cannot learn too much, but one can certainly learn too little.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe I'm wrong about this but I was told South Korea actually wrote General Choi completely out of Korean History... which would explain how come WTF people know nothing about him. If it is true I think that is pretty disgusting only because whether good or bad you shouldn't erase people and their contributions to the world..... that just seems like one of the worst things you can do. Of course I guess the saying history is written by the victors comes from somewere and this is just another example.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Kodanjaclay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Damian,

I can't say for certain. What I can say is that in the Kukkiwon Textbook, he is not mentioned in the history section of the book at all. I have to agree. While I do not support Communism, and I disapprove of some his choices, they were his choices, and his contributions should be honored. I do not practice ITF TKD, much i make sure my students know who Major General Choi was. I think that if it had not been for him, Taekwondo as we know it, may not exist.

Langdow

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree with you all about Gen Choi . . . however my point being that a 1st Dan WTF student does not make him worse off for the study of TKD. It may make them or their instructor ignorant for not learning the history, but as TKD stylist it doesn't make them worse off.

I strongly feel history is important, but it doesn't impact my training one bit in the sense that I can't perform a low block more effectively if I know/or don't this history.

OP
DAC..florida

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Disco,

Great information I do appreciate it.

Im not going to sat that it should be requirement for someone to know who general Choi was but I do find it hard to believe that someone could study an art for any long periode and never at least look at the history.

P

progressivetactics

besides The standard TSD people, my students have some familiarity with Gichin Funokoshi, Bruce Lee, Jigoro Kano, yip Man, Dan Inosanto, Gen Choi, JooBang Lee, Tadashi Yamashita, Moreiha Ueshiba, etc...We discuss, and explain a bit about other arts.

Langdow

Green Belt
Reaction score
Progressivetactics . . .
Why do you feel it's important to discuss these people with your students?
Just curious