I got in a fight. I really didn't want to but it happened.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You fell into a Monkey Dance. If you don't want the fight to happen, you have to break the script, not follow along.
Bingo. Guy starts talking trash you leave. If he begins the dance, your tear him apart and leave. No excuses, no chit chat, no warnings or threats, no bumping chests, etc. The second doofus took off his shirt he should have had both collarbones broken and his testicles up around his tonsils.

It never gets better after the shirt comes off, ever. The fight has begun, recognize it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bingo. Guy starts talking trash you leave. If he begins the dance, your tear him apart and leave. No excuses, no chit chat, no warnings or threats, no bumping chests, etc. The second doofus took off his shirt he should have had both collarbones broken and his testicles up around his tonsils.

It never gets better after the shirt comes off, ever. The fight has begun, recognize it.

That is even worse.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The first rule of fight club is you don't talk about fight club. This'll keep idiots like this from challenging you. Not that it was you who brought it up.

You shouldn't have had to leave. I know, leaving/walking away seems like the right thing to do, but don't turn your back on an opponent makes more sense to me. It was your friend's party.

You did the right thing by controlling yourself and not taking it further than you did. His only lingering injury here is a 2nd degree pride sprain.

My take from it is this guy would've kept it up no matter what you said or did. It happens. The whole taking the shirt off thing reminds me of a Jerry Springer Show moment.

Sometimes using humor in these situations makes it worse. Sometimes it works. What's worked most often for me is something along the lines of "I don't know about you, but I'm here to have a few beers, have a good time, and try to get laid. Beating each other up is going to ruin that for both of us." Most guys can agree to that one.

When a fight is inevitable you go. Put that bastard in intensive care, make him hurt like he's never hurt before. You don't stop until the threat has ended, and it hasn't ended until you stomp a mud hole in his ***.

Otherwise he leaves, thinks about it, and comes back with friends or guns or both. No, you make it clear he's fortunate to have lived, you're the craziest bastard who ever walked the earth, and if ever lay eyes on him again, you'll take him out on sight. And make him believe that.

I'm the most peaceful guy around. I'll cross the street to avoid a fight, I'll apologize, eat crow, whatever. Raise a hand to me and you take your teeth home in your pocket. That's how it has to be.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score

Why so much overkill for? I get if he was a threat sure but all he did at this point was just run his mouth.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why so much overkill for? I get if he was a threat sure but all he did at this point was just run his mouth.

Wrong. Learn to recognize the monkey dance. Once he started, it wasn't going to stop until you fought him. You say, loudly, "Hey, man, I don't want any trouble. Please step back and I'll leave." If he does, you leave. But he won't. At that point he makes a threatening gesture, see? You feel genuinely threatened. Take that bastard out. Immediately.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally ive always enjoyed using my words when dealing with angry people.sometimes its trying to calm the person down or simply get in their head and really mess with them mentally

But I digress, you defended yourself this is good. But there are less painful alternatives. In terms of self defense personally I like striking the arms and they kick, grab their leg and strike that too (thats my preffered plan atleast). If your hand hurts you may not want to punch with it. And if he does I can do it again.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally ive always enjoyed using my words when dealing with angry people.sometimes its trying to calm the person down or simply get in their head and really mess with them mentally

But I digress, you defended yourself this is good. But there are less painful alternatives. In terms of self defense personally I like striking the arms and they kick, grab their leg and strike that too (thats my preffered plan atleast). If your hand hurts you may not want to punch with it. And if he does I can do it again.

Words work well when people need an excuse to back down without losing face. Young people don't generally respond well, whatever anyone says just escalates.

My experience is once the monkey dance starts, playtime is over. The one thing Captain Butt-Head is not expecting is for tired old man to tear him a new ******* without waiting for the dance to gradually escalate. I do not have youth, speed, or stamina to sustain me. It must end immediately or I end up curbstomped. That means the instant blabbermouth steps to me, he has assaulted me and I destroy him before his next insult flies. The cops will believe me. I'm an upstanding citizen, productive member of society, he's a drunken young thug probably with a record. I win, he loses, badly.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
You sound a lot like my great uncle who fought in Vietnam. He said finish them so they are not a problem threat later on. I guess this person can be a threat later on since he was able to get in his car and go.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You sound a lot like my great uncle who fought in Vietnam. He said finish them so they are not a problem threat later on. I guess this person can be a threat later on since he was able to get in his car and go.

Read the news about guys who shoot up bars, parties, etc. Often beaten in a fight, return with guns. Don't let it get to that point. He raises a hand to you, he doesn't drive away, he goes by ambulance. It has to be that way.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When a fight is inevitable you go. Put that bastard in intensive care, make him hurt like he's never hurt before. You don't stop until the threat has ended, and it hasn't ended until you stomp a mud hole in his ***.

Otherwise he leaves, thinks about it, and comes back with friends or guns or both. No, you make it clear he's fortunate to have lived, you're the craziest bastard who ever walked the earth, and if ever lay eyes on him again, you'll take him out on sight. And make him believe that.

I'm the most peaceful guy around. I'll cross the street to avoid a fight, I'll apologize, eat crow, whatever. Raise a hand to me and you take your teeth home in your pocket. That's how it has to be.

Yes and no. There's a time and a place for everything. I've been in a situation or two where it was appropriate to go all out, and a situation or two where the best thing was to push him over/sweep him a few times until he realized he was completely outmatched.

Beating someone to a bloody pulp isn't always going to keep him from getting his buddies or coming back at you down the road with a knife or gun, if that's his M.O. Actually, it'll motivate some idiots even more.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
First saying you don't bully kids that is a strike to his ego he already wants to fight that adds fuel to the fire.second laughing at him adds more fuel to the fire add a couple of cute girls watching him and we'll an explosion of insecurity and pride results in some one attacking.
Yep laughing at drunks and drug users only make things worse. It just makes them want to prove the nonsense that comes out of their mouth. Even a polite laugh can just really send people like that the wrong way. I'm not sure why he said he doesn't bully kids. It's such an odd statement, maybe it was made from being uneasy in that situation.

When people talk crazy like that, I just usually change the topic, if someone said the same to me, I would have asked if they knew any good places to train, then I would change it to what's the best type of sports shoes to wear, and for final blow I would have asked if he knew of any athletes that wears those shoes after he replies I would say nice talking to you and exit his immediate area, by walking far away so I can't hear him.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Instead, I would have pretended that I knew nothing about martial arts, asked him more about his experience, maybe, or even agreed with him, just enough to let him get the rant out, and let him move to a new topic. Never let them know that you know something about martial arts, maybe.
yep been there done that before.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm going to take a wild guess and say that the guy you kicked wasn't one of these 2 guys

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upload_2016-4-30_19-35-36.png
Is this the guy?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Was it Young Thug? The guy on the right
CLSNkedUkAAAQC7.png