granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Last edited by a moderator:

Jenny_in_Chico

Black Belt
Reaction score
Completely inappropriate. It appears to me that the emotional and spiritual growth which usually accompanies the practice of a martial art has passed you by.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Folks,
Maybe we need to move away from the physical characteristics of the person and stick on the topic of rudeness without becoming rude ourselves...

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I agree that rudeness in the US is the norm any more. I feel like hunting down the parents of kids in stores who are polite and thank them. It's really a shock.

I wish people would say "excuse me" where I work, they usually just ride your heels like idiots instead. And this is a place where the overwhelming majority of the people are supposed to be "professionals".

I think this situation though is one of the new social more that we have to scrutinize and parse every word spoken to us so that we can find a reason to take offense.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Recently, I was in a 7/11 right after class and there was a group of kids in the parking lot dressed in what I would describe as urban fashion. I was on a tight schedule and was still in my uniform with my black belt on.

One of them came up to me and asked if I had lost ten dollars. He had found it outside. When I said no, he handed it to the cashier. After that, I approached the group and commended him. He seemed puzzled that I said anything, but I made sure to tell him that his honest behavior was outstanding and that his parents should be proud of him.

It struck me because his behavior was so uncommon. Not just among kids either.

Daniel

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Completely inappropriate. It appears to me that the emotional and spiritual growth which usually accompanies the practice of a martial art has passed you by.

:lol: shows you how slow my reaction time is....took me a good while to get the not so hidden insult in this post :lfao:

But honestly, while in general people are incredibly rude, there are the occasional rays of sunshine. And frankly, if you jump to conclusions, because of an age group, or fashion, you set yourself up to either be surprised, or to miss out on some great people.

Then again, I assume people are good, so I am constantly floored by the rudeness some folks display, and the ones who make it their business to be offended by everything, even if the affected individuals or groups do not think of it as such a bad deal really are the pits.

Jenny_in_Chico

Black Belt
Reaction score
:lol: shows you how slow my reaction time is....took me a good while to get the not so hidden insult in this post :lfao:

But honestly, while in general people are incredibly rude, there are the occasional rays of sunshine. And frankly, if you jump to conclusions, because of an age group, or fashion, you set yourself up to either be surprised, or to miss out on some great people.

Then again, I assume people are good, so I am constantly floored by the rudeness some folks display, and the ones who make it their business to be offended by everything, even if the affected individuals or groups do not think of it as such a bad deal really are the pits.

You commented about a woman's fat ***, and intended it to be an insult. I am fat, so I was offended. If you had made the same comment, but substituted the word "black", it would have been clear to everyone that it was a hateful remark.

I find it ironic that your original post was designed to point out the growing epidemic of rudeness in society, but was couched in cruel and intolerant language. You then added to the insult and cruelty by posting the video.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And since you jump to conclusions about me, my appearance, demeanor, philosophies, racial preferences and all around circumstances you are less insulting, right. I suppose your remark was a well made point, but harping on it does not make you any more right or polite. I suppose we leave it at this.

As stated above I lack the aggressive potential to carry out a full fledged cat fight.

Have a nice day, Ma'am.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions