Strange news from your Neck of the Woods

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, I was just perusing the local paper online.. and *twitch* this article was on the Front page.. Yeah I know I'm in WV.. but I'm not a Native *smirks*
-------------------------------------------------------
Liquid bandage stops woman in her tracks

Adhesive leaves tenant stuck to kitchen floor

By MISTY HIGGINS

Journal Staff Writer

MARTINSBURG - When Joyce Stewart sat down to drink her coffee Monday morning, she had no idea that her foot would wind up in a sticky situation.

Stewart treated a dry-skin crack on her heel with a liquid bandage product and within minutes her foot was "glued" to the green linoleum flooring. Relatives visiting at the time attempted, without success, to help Stewart pry her foot free. Eventually, the foot fiasco required three paramedics more than an hour and a trip to the pharmacy to render Stewart "footloose."

Stewart, 59, of Martinsburg sat in her robe at the head of her kitchen table as she drank her morning coffee about 8:15 a.m. while visiting with relatives. She had recently purchased 3M's liquid bandage product to treat dry spots that she gets on her heels. Stewart purchased the product about a week ago at a local store.

While seated, she positioned her left foot so that her heel was up off of the floor and applied the liquid to the back of her foot. Without realizing, the liquid had run from the back to the ball of her foot before she place her foot flat on the floor again, Stewart said.

Soon after, her grandson came in from his home next door and asked for pancakes. When Stewart tried to get up and move while in the kitchen, she realized that her foot was stuck.

"I said, 'Oh my gosh, I'm stuck," Stewart said.

Stewart said that her relatives immediately "cracked up" thinking that she was joking. With a knife, she tried to loosen the linoleum's grasp on her foot. But after skin began to pull away and her foot started to bleed, Stewart said she realized that this was no laughing matter.

"At first, I thought that I could get it loose myself," Stewart said. "But then I started getting scared."

With her daughter living next door, Stewart sent for her to help, thinking she would be able to solve the problem as she works in the medical field. When family members failed to solve the problem, they called 911.

Within minutes, three paramedics had arrived and began working. Stewart said that they used Wesson oil to try to loosen the adhesive. After another failed attempt, a call was made to the phone number on the package. Representatives from 3M suggested using baby oil.

Stewart didn't have any baby oil in her house, so a paramedic had to make a trip to a local drug store to purchase some. The paramedic had to assert his authority while there, Stewart said.

"He had to break in line in front of other customers. He said that he told them 'I have a woman glued to the floor,'" she said.

Paramedics worked with Q-tips and the baby oil for more than an hour in order to get Stewart's foot free. Finally, Stewart had her foot back and paramedics then treated and bandaged her sore foot.

Stewart, who is retired from the former Corning Glass plant, lives alone and wonders what might have happened if her relatives were not there.

"I thought that I was going to be glued there for days," Stewart added.

Stewart is expecting a full recovery, but it may take her pride a bit longer to heal.

"I was embarrassed," she said. "I was still in my robe."

And Stewart added that she has been the butt of many jokes in the family since the incident, calling and saying "footloose" and telling her that the product's company has called and wants her for a "stuck on you" commercial.

Relatives who were present took photos to remember the day Stewart "glued herself to the floor."

It isn't likely that she will forget this any time soon.

"I just think it's hilarious," she said.

Representatives from 3M have extended an offer to pay for any medical expenses, Stewart said. And they said that they will follow up with her later this week. Though the package states that the product runs easily and sets quickly while warning against getting the product on furniture, counters or clothes, it says nothing about warning against the gluing of body parts.

"They should have that on there," Stewart said.

The 3M company has requested that Stewart return the the package and remainder of the product. Though she doesn't know why, Stewart said she was told it was company procedure. And she added that representatives said that they will send her a new package of the liquid bandage.

"I'm not anxious about getting another one, though," Stewart said.

Representatives for 3M were not immediately available for comment.
-------------------------------------------------------
alrighty then..

Your turn :)

~Tess

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Stewart didn't have any baby oil in her house, so a paramedic had to make a trip to a local drug store to purchase some. The paramedic had to assert his authority while there, Stewart said.

"He had to break in line in front of other customers. He said that he told them 'I have a woman glued to the floor,'" she said.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Even better,
Soon after, her grandson came in from his home next door and asked for pancakes. When Stewart tried to get up and move while in the kitchen, she realized that her foot was stuck.

"I said, 'Oh my gosh, I'm stuck," Stewart said.
For some reason, this was my favorite part (aside from learning how to unstick someone with this stuff on them).

Whew! I'm going to have to start searching for something as good.

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Okay.....

We have guys arguing with their girlfriends, and picking up their pet gator and slapping the girl with it....

(listening to "Dueling Banjos" in the background..)

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can't believe she called the paramedics over something like this, call me stupid if you will but I'd rather lose a little skin off my foot (lord knows I lose enough anyway in the studio) than suffer the embarassment of 3 paramedics + relatives trying to unstick me.