Competition Mistakes

Just4Kicks

Green Belt
Reaction score
I just came back from the Australian University Games where I got silver for my division. I competed with my feet and ankles bandaged and lost my gold match by a single point.

I checked how much time I had left and cost myself the gold. I'm proud of my acheivement but I wish I'd been more clear headed and focused on the task at hand. Next time I'll know better, right?

Anyone else done something stupid at competition?

jeorf

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Always! I don't compete much at TKD but for years competed horses. It only takes one slip of concentration, one hurried moment, one fraction of a second of overconfidence.... The "zone" is elusive at best.

You know, there were plenty of times that I won and deserved it and plenty of times that I won when I was good but not my best and plenty of times that I didn't win but rode really well and may have won in different company. After a while it really does become true that it's how you play the game.

It sounds like you did fabulously - congratulations.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most times at the top level there is not that much difference if any at all in ability and skill. The winner is the one that can execute with minimal mistakes. Most times the most boring matches are the ones between two evenly matched opponents. The winner is usually the one that made less mistakes.

Just learn from it and be better perpared next time.

Congrats on your second place showing. At least you lost only to the 1st place person. No one else can say that.

Latest Discussions