I can"t believe this

C

Chicago Green Dragon

I can see why you are upset about this. But, for some people a small mark like that is the end of the world. You bring up a valid point but I dont think you can change some peoples minds about certain things. Hopefully, in time they will see that you are rite in what you were trying to tell her before.

Talking to some people is like talking to a wall. But if you chip away at the wall in the proper maner you can tear it down in due time.

Chicago Green Dragon

:asian:

rachel said:
One of the women in my school, actually one of my best friends is going to talk to our instructor when he comes back from vacation to tell him we should be wearing arm guards when we practice our 8 basic blocks. She got a bruise on her arm the size of a quarter and she's a little upset. I told her to suck it up. I said if someone attacks you on the street you won't be wearing arm guards and she got pissed and said that you don't need to jump in front of a car to know what it feels like so we shouldn't have to get bruises to learn. She thinks all schools wear forearm protectors because she knows one school that does. I need your help here. Tell her it's not like that in most schools and that one bruise isn't the end of the world so I can copy your replies and read them to her. Thanks.

C

Chicago Green Dragon

Hey Tess nice shiner. wow

sometimes bruises happen.

Chicago Green Dragon

KenpoTess said:
This bruise of mine lasted a good month.. and still is somewhat discolored just under the skin.. Got it during sparring.. *shrugs*
I wear forearm & elbow pads along with my reg. gear.. my cohorts laugh at me and call me an armadillo :D
guess I shoulda worn upper arm pads. . But hey.. bruises are part of the program for some of us..

R

RCastillo

Goldendragon7 said:
Rachel, actually (IMHO) both of you have good points. While you are absolutely correct, there is something said about durability and conditioning yourself for a little abuse.... also, many have differing pain thresholds. I can show you my shins sometime (before the days of shinpads & other protective gear ~ [I eventually used forearm pads to help keep from injury]), and you will be appalled at the damage sustained when I was younger. Today with all the protective gear, I tell all my students to wear what they need/want to avoid injury, since we now can spar or train numerous times per week ~ unlike the early days of once a week sparring - then heal for 6 days!!

If you train hard, the pads do help quite a bit....... however, there are drills ......... like the "3-star hit" and many other body conditioning drills that do help to condition you for "real" impact. Keep in mind however, that on the street adrenalin will be flowing much more readily than in practice and you chance NOT to feel injury instantly (later you can lick your painful wounds) and be able to defend yourself at the time and get away to safety.

Just my opinion...

You calling me a wimp? :mad:

R

RCastillo

KenpoTess said:
This bruise of mine lasted a good month.. and still is somewhat discolored just under the skin.. Got it during sparring.. *shrugs*
I wear forearm & elbow pads along with my reg. gear.. my cohorts laugh at me and call me an armadillo :D
guess I shoulda worn upper arm pads. . But hey.. bruises are part of the program for some of us..

She's just trying to intimidate you with her "Big Guns."

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's her option to wear pads or not, but she shouldn't try and dictate what kinds of safety equipment the students are required to wear--that's up to the instructor. At our school we were required to use more safety gear at lower belt levels, but black belts can wear as much or as little as they would like. I typically wear none except for a cup and maybe a mouthpiece when I remember it. Sparring's different, the hand/foot padding protects your opponent as well.

Like you said, she should know how to handle contact, or at least be learning to. If she spends all her training all padded up, she's going to have less of a chance of success when that first bolt of pain rips her concentration in a real fight. Some arts really emphasize contact conditioning--in Systema a good portion of class is devoted to taking hits. After a recent seminar my entire torso looked like drunken dwarves were using it for a dance floor--black and blue, then yellow for two weeks. We're involved in a contact activity and you just have to be able to *heh* roll with the punches.

One question GoldenDragon7--

"however, there are drills ......... like the "3-star hit" and many other body conditioning drills that do help to condition you for "real" impact."

Would you describe the "3-star hit?"

thanks!

G

Gary Crawford

ShaolinWolf said:
HEY! I take TKD. Be quiet, Gary, SHHHH!!! THAT'S DISCRIMINATION IN MARTIAL ARTS!!!!...lol...so, watch it, buddy, will ya?...j/k around...

I only wear head gear, foot gear, cup, and hand gear. I bought shin guards a long time back, but we don't use them, and I never used them. THe chest protectors we don't even use, though we will need to buy them for stupid, political reasons in June. But, we get bruises all the time and no one complains...And I don't believe in forearm guards, though some may need them, I don't because I want my forearms and shins to be armor, along with my abdominals; alot more than that, too.

Anyways, I think it all goes along with the one thing that I've seen with alot of people. Certain people only adapt to certain MA. I mean, I know alot of people taking TKD and they have a super hard time with the brutal strikes in Black belt, and also even the Flexibility. And alot of people, TKD isn't even their style. I mean, there are just certain things that qualify you for certain arts. I, myself, have found that I can adapt to almost any art. I mean, sure I'm not going to be as good in Judo as a short guy, but maybe it has to do with my age(17) and my abilities.

Some people don't like bruises and getting hurt, but some just can't have that all the time when they have to work 5 days a week. Yeah, buck up and all that, but they do need to be able to focus at work and not on bumping their bruise or focusing out their pain. And I know alot of people that get nasty bruises in the style I take and they don't go away for 2-3 months! So, yeah, we who are easily adapted and all may say, "WIMP!", but I also see that not everybody has their focus totally on MA. I have a lot of my focus on MA. But those that are going to complain because they don't want to put up with the pain for a week and then once it goes away, they have to put up with it again.

And Tess, You changed your pic...cool, new look...
Sorry! no disrespect intended..USTU folks do wear them in tournaments,that's the rules.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
psi_radar said:

"however, there are drills ......... like the "3-star hit" and many other body conditioning drills that do help to condition you for "real" impact."

Would you describe the "3-star hit?" thanks!

Ed Parker's "Secrets of Chinese Karate... Chapter 6 pps., 46-49...... :asian:

Attachments

• $3starhit1.jpg
    $3starhit1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 128
  • $3starhit2.jpg
    $3starhit2.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 137
  • $3starhit3.jpg
    $3starhit3.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 145

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
psi_radar said:
We're involved in a contact activity and you just have to be able to condition for the contact.
"There are drills ......... like arm/body conditioning drills that do help to condition you for "real" impact."

Also found in Ed Parker's Secrets of Chinese Karate Volume 6, pps., 50-51

Attachments

• $arm1.jpg
    $arm1.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 116
  • $arm2.jpg
    $arm2.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 124
  • $arm3.jpg
    $arm3.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 136

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
..so is that what it's called...Randy and I do that at times...freaks the people out in the Shepherd class.. :)

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Chicago Green Dragon said:
Hey Tess nice shiner. wow

sometimes bruises happen.

Chicago Green Dragon

Hahaa.. yeah that they do.. I've had some good ones in my day.. I think that particular one was the results from some newbie using my arm as a target during sparring.. ;)

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Goldendragon7! We do those drills but never put a name to them before (though the one using the barbell is a new one on me). :asian:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
psi_radar said:
Thanks Goldendragon7! We do those drills but never put a name to them before (though the one using the barbell is a new one on me). :asian:

These are not new drills..... (over 40 years old actually) and some consider a litte old fashioned but they are effective to help condition the arms. Glad to be of some help.

E

ellaminnowpea

rachel said:
One of the women in my school, actually one of my best friends is going to talk to our instructor when he comes back from vacation to tell him we should be wearing arm guards when we practice our 8 basic blocks. She got a bruise on her arm the size of a quarter and she's a little upset. I told her to suck it up. I said if someone attacks you on the street you won't be wearing arm guards and she got pissed and said that you don't need to jump in front of a car to know what it feels like so we shouldn't have to get bruises to learn. She thinks all schools wear forearm protectors because she knows one school that does. I need your help here. Tell her it's not like that in most schools and that one bruise isn't the end of the world so I can copy your replies and read them to her. Thanks.

What are these arm guards you speak of, human?

But seriously. A quarter sized bruise..Not to make light (but I'm going to anyway) , but is she kidding? This isn't basket weaving. A bruise? Geez. I've bruise myself trying to get from my bed to the bathroom in the dark.

Time and conditioning will take care of the bruising. I bruise like a rotten apple. Well, I used to. Nowadays it takes much more to bruise me. I believe she's over-reacting just a little bit.

Please, none of this is meant as unkindness..Just my two cents.

S

ShaolinWolf

No offense taken, Gary. I just meant everybody takes TKD as a joke. I'm used to it, that's why I wrote LOL several times.

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Back in my earlier days of training, we had a saying..."pain is joy". We'd do conditioning drills like banging our forearms and wrists against each others, inevitably increasing the speed and power on contact. Hurt like a mother, it did condition the arms by deadening the nerves, but it also made our arms look like hamburger. It also conditioned our brains to accept pain, and to block it out of our head, but it also slowed our training down because afterall we would eventually feel the stinging contact after contact during regular training. Now with the advent of protective pads, to each it's own. Their personal safety is their own concern. If the person does not want to feel any pain, or the wind knocked out of them from time to time, then they will be in for a rude awakening when it happens, but hey that's their choice.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I dropped out for a spell to pursue career and family stuff, and just recently strated back up. It appears I've been out at least long enough for nerves to grow back that had been deadened to pain from the middle seventies. Darn, re-conditioning hurts. Plus, I'm older, so the resiliency of youth and testosterone (no brain, no pain) things aren't working for me anymore.

Still, I'm a personal believer in the school of hard knocks. Any of you ever watch one of Tak Kubota's breaking demos? Or get a look at the guys knuckles? Seen/felt the knuckles of Mas Oyama at a kyokushinkai convnetion? (rumor had it they got so big, he had to have them surgically reduced to be able to open his hand...don't know if there's truth to it.).

Wolffs Law: Bone will build up to adapt to the stresses placed on it. Murphy's Law: The arthritis I'm feeling with age, and the pain I'm going through trying to deaden hands, feet, forearms and legs.

Temper natural weapons so that, when you hit the other guy, he feels it, not you. Had a sadist for a sensei in Hawaii as a kid...did the "ten-thousand prayers"...strike a makiwara 1,000 times, interchanging hands, with 10 strikes (reverse punch, inward and outward chop, backfist, hammerfist, palm heel, etc.). Hated it. Still broke my thumbs clipping them on gi's in tournaments (before Saf-T-Chop), but never did hurt my hand in a fight.

Argument against: still can't thread a needle, and am killing my kidneys with a couple thousand mg's of ibuprofen a day to ward off the joint and bone pain.

Oh well. We must each make a choice, and live with the results.

Dr. Dave