I can"t believe this

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
One of the women in my school, actually one of my best friends is going to talk to our instructor when he comes back from vacation to tell him we should be wearing arm guards when we practice our 8 basic blocks. She got a bruise on her arm the size of a quarter and she's a little upset. I told her to suck it up. I said if someone attacks you on the street you won't be wearing arm guards and she got pissed and said that you don't need to jump in front of a car to know what it feels like so we shouldn't have to get bruises to learn. She thinks all schools wear forearm protectors because she knows one school that does. I need your help here. Tell her it's not like that in most schools and that one bruise isn't the end of the world so I can copy your replies and read them to her. Thanks.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've trained in oh, 6 or so different schools...never wore forearm guards in any of em.

Only time I wore arm protection was when I was doing full contact stick fighting.
If -she- wants to wear it, that should be fine, provided its the soft padding, not the hard padding.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My students are not allowed to wear arm or leg protection unless they have an injury bad wenough to have warrented a doctor.
She should learn to live with it.
Some schools let the student decide if they need the extra protection its really up to the insteuctor. Heck some schools have you look like your in full armor when practiceing. YEP, you really learn what its like wearing all that padding all the time.
Oh and don't break a fingernail either. :rofl:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
rachel said:
One of the women in my school, actually one of my best friends is going to talk to our instructor when he comes back from vacation to tell him we should be wearing arm guards when we practice our 8 basic blocks. She got a bruise on her arm the size of a quarter and she's a little upset. I told her to suck it up. I said if someone attacks you on the street you won't be wearing arm guards and she got pissed and said that you don't need to jump in front of a car to know what it feels like so we shouldn't have to get bruises to learn. She thinks all schools wear forearm protectors because she knows one school that does. I need your help here. Tell her it's not like that in most schools and that one bruise isn't the end of the world so I can copy your replies and read them to her. Thanks.

Rachel, actually (IMHO) both of you have good points. While you are absolutely correct, there is something said about durability and conditioning yourself for a little abuse.... also, many have differing pain thresholds. I can show you my shins sometime (before the days of shinpads & other protective gear ~ [I eventually used forearm pads to help keep from injury]), and you will be appalled at the damage sustained when I was younger. Today with all the protective gear, I tell all my students to wear what they need/want to avoid injury, since we now can spar or train numerous times per week ~ unlike the early days of once a week sparring - then heal for 6 days!!

If you train hard, the pads do help quite a bit....... however, there are drills ......... like the "3-star hit" and many other body conditioning drills that do help to condition you for "real" impact. Keep in mind however, that on the street adrenalin will be flowing much more readily than in practice and you chance NOT to feel injury instantly (later you can lick your painful wounds) and be able to defend yourself at the time and get away to safety.

Just my opinion...
:asian:

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One thing we tell every new college class we teach.. this is a CONTACT Art.. You WILL most Likely get a bruise or so..The females in 5 yrs haven't given us any concerns re: bruising.
In our own bunch.. we compare bruises.. par for the course.. If she has some deep seated issue with bruises.. then I would say as an instructor.. if you wish to purchase and wear forearm guards.. by all means.. do so.. Could be a health issue.. if someone bruises really easily.. Many different reasons.. Anemia is by far the main health reason.. but many more conditions can cause bruising..
I would just let it go Rachel.. and do your best.. :) There's always a hidden reason behind people who seemingly over-react ;)

Tess

G

Gary Crawford

Bruises?!My god! She must be talking about a teakwondo school!Those people wear them,but it's only sport.She should try some JKD training,she'd come running back with her tail between her knees!

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
OK ... I have to do this.

You see, my wife bruises very easily. And when we started training, she always had banged up arms and legs. It seems that as our training has progressed, she bruises quite a bit less now. I don't think we are working out less forcefully, but there is definately a change.

I, on the other hand, don't think I have ever had a bruise from working out in our normal classes.

Any how, a year or so ago, we went to a seminar with 'Huk'. We were working on some technique ... Twisted Lance ... Glancing Lance ... bang the $H!T out of my ribs lance ...you know, something like that. When we got home, and I showed Sheryl what she had done to me ... she had to take a picture.

Yeah ... Don't be stupid about training without gear when needed, but then again ... Bruises happen. Submitted for you enjoyment ( and my wifes ).

Attachments

• $Karate Kid.jpg
    $Karate Kid.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 288
S

ShaolinWolf

HEY! I take TKD. Be quiet, Gary, SHHHH!!! THAT'S DISCRIMINATION IN MARTIAL ARTS!!!!...lol...so, watch it, buddy, will ya?...j/k around...

I only wear head gear, foot gear, cup, and hand gear. I bought shin guards a long time back, but we don't use them, and I never used them. THe chest protectors we don't even use, though we will need to buy them for stupid, political reasons in June. But, we get bruises all the time and no one complains...And I don't believe in forearm guards, though some may need them, I don't because I want my forearms and shins to be armor, along with my abdominals; alot more than that, too.

Anyways, I think it all goes along with the one thing that I've seen with alot of people. Certain people only adapt to certain MA. I mean, I know alot of people taking TKD and they have a super hard time with the brutal strikes in Black belt, and also even the Flexibility. And alot of people, TKD isn't even their style. I mean, there are just certain things that qualify you for certain arts. I, myself, have found that I can adapt to almost any art. I mean, sure I'm not going to be as good in Judo as a short guy, but maybe it has to do with my age(17) and my abilities.

Some people don't like bruises and getting hurt, but some just can't have that all the time when they have to work 5 days a week. Yeah, buck up and all that, but they do need to be able to focus at work and not on bumping their bruise or focusing out their pain. And I know alot of people that get nasty bruises in the style I take and they don't go away for 2-3 months! So, yeah, we who are easily adapted and all may say, "WIMP!", but I also see that not everybody has their focus totally on MA. I have a lot of my focus on MA. But those that are going to complain because they don't want to put up with the pain for a week and then once it goes away, they have to put up with it again.

And Tess, You changed your pic...cool, new look...

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
At our school, we leave it up to the individual students. For sparring, we are required to wear hand/foot/head gear. Beyond that, it's optional. Some don't wear any extra padding, some wear shin guards, some wear arm guards, and some also add on chest protectors.

It depends on the pain threshhold, intensity of sparring, and how hard a specific partner may strike. It also depends on the health of the individual.

- Ceicei

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with several statements already made here. None of the schools I have been in have ever used arm guards/pads as a mandatory thing for basics practice but it has always been up to the individual.........not something that was imposed on everyone. If she wants to wear them and feels it necessary, then she should!

:asian: :karate:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
rachel said:
Rachel,
Well your both right and your both wrong. You already know why she is wrong; so, I won't reinforce that. Lets focus on where you might be missing her point. Rachel, I can punch through any block you have. So can a lot of people. I will sustain injury to my arm, but you are going down. I am not saying this to discourage you; I am trying to tell you your freind isn't crazy. Yes, she needs a bit of conditioning, but she can learn structural integrity with pads, or being hit with padded objects. There is no reason to punish her into quitting with self defense drills that she knows in her heart she will never be able to use. Force against force will probably never be her thing. Does that mean she should quit? Absolutly not; because there is a whole world of martial knowledge that can be imparted to her that might help her avoid meeting force with force. "Five Swords" isn't about blocking haymakers, its about getting on the inside of a haymaker and away from the force. Missle attack techs arent about standing off punches with your blocks while standing in the line of fire, they are about stepping off the line of attack and using the block as a margin for possible error. All I'm trying to say is that perhaps you could stand a reality check yourself. I wouldn't recomend this, but you could test my theory by telling everyone to only throw the best attacks they can muster at you from now on. :asian:
Sean

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife hates bruises, and bruises very easily. I've told her that the school does allow the use of arm pads and such when needed. I got the look, for that suggestion. :erg: Of course I expected as much before I said it. ;)

As to the merits of using one or not, that is up to each school owner. There are good arguments for both sides. When I met my wife, she was a model. Bruising would not have been an option then as it would have hindered her work. Now that she is a AVP of Business Banking, it isn't so important. They just think I beat her. :rolleyes:

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
rachel said:

Well you're right about what you said to her! In a real confrontatiion she will have more to worry about than a little bruise or two! I was sparring with this female and she accidentally caught her leg on my toe but she had received that injury in another sparring match. It wasn't wise for her to keep sparring like that but good for her that she kept on going! I was brought up to be a gentleman and asker if she was alright, and if she wanted to continue and she did! Either your friend is not used to getting hurt or she doesn't like getting hurt! but if they are some underlying issues allow her the forearm protectors while you and everyone else will have none. But I'm sure your instructor will know what to do! But most schools do make allowances for women such as letting them do push ups on their knees to begin with. In my view if she has her forearms protected to perform blocks she is only cheating herself. Its better to have a couple of bruises and even a bloody nose than no life at all!

When sparring if blood is not drawn, then your not doing it right. Then you have to do it over again. Then again, its not really like sparring in our classes, its more like an actual fight. No punches pulled, No quarter given. You learn to take hits before you learn how to hit.

OP
rachel

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your input. I agree that she should be allowed to wear arm guards if she likes but we're talking about the 8 basic blocks performed on each other and 1 bruise. I'm far from unfeeling. This is a friend who constantly critisizes our instructor behind his back saying that she can run his business better and tries to trick the other instructors into teaching her new techniques that our instructor does not want us to learn yet. She goes behind his back at every chance she gets to break the rules of the Dojo and it's getting a little annoying.

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
rachel said:
Thank you everyone for your input. I agree that she should be allowed to wear arm guards if she likes but we're talking about the 8 basic blocks performed on each other and 1 bruise. I'm far from unfeeling. This is a friend who constantly critisizes our instructor behind his back saying that she can run his business better and tries to trick the other instructors into teaching her new techniques that our instructor does not want us to learn yet. She goes behind his back at every chance she gets to break the rules of the Dojo and it's getting a little annoying.

I don't think your friend realises how hard it is to be an instructor! To run it as a business but teaching to the best of his or her abililties so that each student gets the best out what they are learning! If your friend doesn't like the class or the instructor, then why is she there? And have you talked to her about her behaviour? I know she is your friend but doesn't seem to me to be respecting the Art! There is a good reason why your instructor hasn't shown you these other techniques yet. Because she has not learned any humility she is a danger to herself and other people if she can't be responsible!
Please forgive me, I don't want to offend but she still has a lot to learn!

S

ShaolinWolf

Well, what belt is she? And how old? That could determine the outcome of what we think...

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This bruise of mine lasted a good month.. and still is somewhat discolored just under the skin.. Got it during sparring.. *shrugs*
I wear forearm & elbow pads along with my reg. gear.. my cohorts laugh at me and call me an armadillo :D
guess I shoulda worn upper arm pads. . But hey.. bruises are part of the program for some of us..

Attachments

• $bruise.jpg
    $bruise.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 182
J

jeffkyle

KenpoTess said:
This bruise of mine lasted a good month.. and still is somewhat discolored just under the skin.. Got it during sparring.. *shrugs*
I wear forearm & elbow pads along with my reg. gear.. my cohorts laugh at me and call me an armadillo :D
guess I shoulda worn upper arm pads. . But hey.. bruises are part of the program for some of us..

Hey Tess!!!

Nice Signature/Statement!!! :D:D:D