I ate a bacon cheeseburger today.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Even worse, the mutilation and tortue of the grass in the yard when the lawn mower goes over it! My heart bleeds for those little helpless blades of grass... :rofl:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have been vegetarian, vegan and omnivorous (which, btw, is what anybody who eats more than one category is, essentially, not carnivorous).

There are fruitarians who only eat the plant life produce once it has freed itself from the source independently or naturally (fruit falls from the tree, vine between watermelon separates from the fruit). This is FAR too limiting for our nutritional needs as humans.

As a vegetarian my cholesterol was 107; as a vegan my cholesterol was 64. Too low.

I have noticed an enormous difference in how my body processes the beef I buy from the market as opposed to the beef my mother-in-law raises on her mini-farm. They do not use hormones and the hay they buy is grown locally without spraying. So by my own experiences, I think the way beefcattle are raised and fed has much more to do with the quality and necessity of their flesh for food.
HKphooey said:
Sometimes he can drive me nuts. He will not drink wine because most wines are filtered through animal skins and stomach linings.
No they're not. I make wine at home and researched the industry standards. Think about it - animal skins were used to HOLD wine and water - skin is not so porous that it can filter much. Same with stomach lining which, btw, has been subjected to acid and enzymes repeatedly - straining through such a material could ruin the winemaking process. Tell your friend to research a little more on vinting and to buy LOTS of wine from me, who uses cheesecloth and synthetic screening to strain fruit and lees.

As to the bacon cheeseburger ... my hips are cursing you, Sam! *drives to Wendy's*

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
Imagine what the grapes did when they were CRUSHED!!!!

They "wine."

:)

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
I have noticed an enormous difference in how my body processes the beef I buy from the market as opposed to the beef my mother-in-law raises on her mini-farm. They do not use hormones and the hay they buy is grown locally without spraying. So by my own experiences, I think the way beefcattle are raised and fed has much more to do with the quality and necessity of their flesh for food.

This is why myself, my instructor, and 2 other students at the dojo are buying a local cow and having it... um, made into an edible form. (Hey, that sounds better than saying butchered)

Not only is it, Lb for Lb cheaper and more cost effective than the Grocery store... we know what we are getting too.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
This is why myself, my instructor, and 2 other students at the dojo are buying a local cow and having it... um, made into an edible form. (Hey, that sounds better than saying butchered)

Not only is it, Lb for Lb cheaper and more cost effective than the Grocery store... we know what we are getting too.
TP, I know you don't do dairy much, but do you have any friends who have consumed the products from dairy cattle who are also raised naturally?

There is a difference in the color of the milk and the fat. The taste is milder but it ... well, it tastes cleaner, I don't know any other way to describe it.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Technopunk said:

We have never raised cows/pigs or any form of beef, but we have done eggs, both hens and guineas. Good stuff... overall its a good bit cheaper, plus like you said, you know what you are getting..... I'd not mind doing eggs again :)

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
No they're not. I make wine at home and researched the industry standards. Think about it - animal skins were used to HOLD wine and water - skin is not so porous that it can filter much. Same with stomach lining which, btw, has been subjected to acid and enzymes repeatedly - straining through such a material could ruin the winemaking process. Tell your friend to research a little more on vinting and to buy LOTS of wine from me, who uses cheesecloth and synthetic screening to strain fruit and lees.

I stand corrected the animal byproducts are used in the "fining" process, no the filtering process. My bad - I had a glass of wine on my mind)
Actually, my friend who owns a vegan restaurant (and is also wriiten up in vegan cooking mags) only serves about 10 different wines. All the rest are not vegan friendly. Most also use a milk by-product called lactic casein. Hence, it is also not vegan-friendly. They also use numerous other animal by-products in the fining process.

See also: http://www.answers.com/topic/vegan-wine

http://www.vrg.org/journal/vj97jan/971wine.htm

I have over 800 bottles of wine in my collection at any time and not one is vegan-friendly.

Thanks for the correction on the filtering. My wine buddies would have given me a bottle of Reunite for that one. :)

If anyone is interseted in some great vegan recipes, let me know and I will post them

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
bobster_ice said:
Tell me this...Why do vegaterians think they are "killing" the animal they are eating when it is already dead?
Because they think that by demand they are ordering the killings to meet supply.

I've a better question for them.
For us to eat one cheeseburger one animal has to die, for a bacon cheese burger two have to die.

How many things died to go into the salad they had?
1. Lettuce (maybe more than one type)
2. Tomato
3. Cucumbers
4. Radishes
5. Bean Sprouts
and whatever else that goes in an all veggie salad... killing these things that were living by pulling them out of the ground or cutting them from their roots, and so forth.

Also for their consideration... 1 steer can feed hundreds of people, 1 head of lettuce at the most can probably feed 5-10 (generously). Which gives more food per weight.

Some vegans take their diet far too seriously.

Our cainine and molar teeth tells us that we are designed for both meat and vegtables.

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
And the world mounrns the loss of another one of our kind...:wink:
So how was that tasty bacony humbuger goodness of...of I had better stop before I stop being a vegitarian.
Well enjoy the meaty goodness. I must admit that that is a good reason to eat a cheese burger.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
HKphooey said:
I stand corrected the animal byproducts are used in the "fining" process, no the filtering process. My bad - I had a glass of wine on my mind)
Actually, my friend who owns a vegan restaurant (and is also wriiten up in vegan cooking mags) only serves about 10 different wines. All the rest are not vegan friendly. Most also use a milk by-product called lactic casein. Hence, it is also not vegan-friendly. They also use numerous other animal by-products in the fining process.

See also: http://www.answers.com/topic/vegan-wine

http://www.vrg.org/journal/vj97jan/971wine.htm

I have over 800 bottles of wine in my collection at any time and not one is vegan-friendly.

Thanks for the correction on the filtering. My wine buddies would have given me a bottle of Reunite for that one. :)

If anyone is interseted in some great vegan recipes, let me know and I will post them

The additives for commercially made wines can contain MANY additives which is why we make our own. :) Our wines are completely vegan friendly, organic and ... heh ... if I may say so, tasty and potent! :)

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well on the point of killing cows and the “oh how terrible” issue it has been my experience that when they kill the cow they use a spike gun. It uses a .22 cal round to drive a spike into the brain and death is instant Very humane. Now as someone that raised cows, and horses I can also say from experience that the cows are treated pretty rough when you take them to the vet. And don’t get me started on how they de horn a cow, brand, ear tag for ticks or perform a pregnancy test “I will leave that to the imagination” LOL

Beef its what’s for dinner

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
Also for their consideration... 1 steer can feed hundreds of people, 1 head of lettuce at the most can probably feed 5-10 (generously). Which gives more food per weight.

LOL! But how many heads of lettuce, or or it's grass/hay/timothy/alfalfa/corn/grain equivalent does it take to make that 1 steer?

That being said, so when and where is the BBQ? :partyon:

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Our wines are completely vegan friendly, organic and ... heh ... if I may say so, tasty and potent! :)

And no match for my beer

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
2004hemi said:
Well on the point of killing cows and the “oh how terrible” issue it has been my experience that when they kill the cow they use a spike gun. It uses a .22 cal round to drive a spike into the brain and death is instant Very humane. Now as someone that raised cows, and horses I can also say from experience that the cows are treated pretty rough when you take them to the vet. And don’t get me started on how they de horn a cow, brand, ear tag for ticks or perform a pregnancy test “I will leave that to the imagination” LOL

Beef its what’s for dinner

Iv heard its not always so quick and painless, sometimes the spike misses? or somethin and the cow is alaive till it is gutted? i dunno tho haha my schools vegitarian so they are a bit biased iwth the info they pass out. As for me i am anemic as it is so no meat makes for a very sick me

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
And no match for my beer
*walks across the room, removes a white glove from pocket and slaps TP with it*

You're on.