Hung Gar vs. Villari

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Assuming the origin is forthcoming with such knowledge.

Not at all. If Sensei X trained in styles a,b, and c, and was creating katas in style a, then it would be prudent to consider what styles b & c might be contributing. In arts like kenpo where it is common to cannibalize things from other arts it helps to know something about the arts it is borrowing from.

New katas are created to impart knowledge not included in the old katas, so if Sensei X is making a new kata for style a, it is probably to bring in new information from either style b or style c (or both!).

Knowing that styles b & c went into this new kata, it is easier to isolate the newly introduced principles and may give the student more information to understand their art better.

Now if you mean that Sensei X hid the fact that he studied styles b & c, and was thus not forthcoming in that regards, then sure that would make further exploration of the applications a lot harder!

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Xing-Lu is clearly smarter and better at illiterating on these message boards.

Please send me the bill Xing-Lu!

Jamey

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In respects to the Kata's taught from SGM Pesares line, I found it very useful to go back to him and learn them the original ways - same with the combinations. It also allowed me to build a line from where and who changed parts of the forms all the way from Pesare - cerio - Villari -masters - to myself. The bunkai deciphering was a different story and a lot of the things taught to me from people of the Kaju decent helped to give me a different insight to what was happening. Palama 1 for example helped me change bunkai's in 1 kata, as well as 2.

why change the applications instead of adding?

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
why change the applications instead of adding?

not sure what you mean. The bunkais I had in the forms the way I originally learned them would not longer fit because I am doing the forms the original way now from SGM Pesare. so I had to change those things because certain movements are now different. And going to the palama forms has helped me put some of the pieces together.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
not sure what you mean. The bunkais I had in the forms the way I originally learned them would not longer fit because I am doing the forms the original way now from SGM Pesare. so I had to change those things because certain movements are now different. And going to the palama forms has helped me put some of the pieces together.

Ah, so your movements are different. I missed that point and so my last comment does not apply at all. Hope all is well Jesse

Respectfully,
Marlon

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Reading our forum at work, this old thread from 2009 mysteriously popped onto my phone. As I was reading it it disappeared.

Fortunately I remembered the thread title and did a search so I could finish reading it,

I came to a couple conclusions. One, I’ll never figure out how these damn phones work.

And Two...people were arguing back in 09 just as much as they do today.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Reading our forum at work, this old thread from 2009 mysteriously popped onto my phone. As I was reading it it disappeared.

Fortunately I remembered the thread title and did a search so I could finish reading it,

I came to a couple conclusions. One, I’ll never figure out how these damn phones work.

And Two...people were arguing back in 09 just as much as they do today.
I sometimes enjoy going back and reading through old threads. It reminds me of the people who used to participate here, but have moved on. Some old friends in these old threads.

This one was interesting to me, to read my own old contributions to the discussion. Reminded me of what I was working on and where my mind was at that time, more than a decade ago.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I sometimes enjoy going back and reading through old threads. It reminds me of the people who used to participate here, but have moved on. Some old friends in these old threads.

This one was interesting to me, to read my own old contributions to the discussion. Reminded me of what I was working on and where my mind was at that time, more than a decade ago.

I really enjoyed the whole thread. I especially enjoyed your posts.

I wish I could figure out how the heck it showed up on my phone out of nowhere,

Latest Discussions