How would you describe kenpo?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I said "hmmm" because I was really looking forward to getting some insight into kenpo and I didn't feel I got much. Thats all.

7sm

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
A system of responses, motion refinement and response conditioning that covers a broad range of self defense needs yet remains adaptable to the needs of the moment and the characteristics of the practitioner. It's methods are, generally, to bring abrupt, overwhelming and relentless damage/pain to bear on the attacker as soon as possible in order to neutralize their ability and desire to harm you or others.

I'd also need to add: this definition is NO MORE than a starting point. It is woefully insufficient to describe "What is Kenpo"... but you've got to start somewhere.

Your Brother
John

Casey_Sutherland

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Kenpo Quotes from "The Zen of Kenpo" by Ed Parker

"The Kenpo system is based on the outer limits of simplicity and the starting point of complexity."

"Kenpo's true value is not in what you know, but what you do."

"When you are analyzing Kenpo, do not view it only from outside in, but from inside out."

"Since inventions are created because of existing needs, innovations are also needed in Kenpo."

"It is not the aim of Kenpo to merely produce a skillful as well as powerful practitioner, but to create a well integrated student respectful of all."

"The ultimate aim of Kenpo is to elongate circles and round off corners."

"Kenpo is for the man who has everything and wants to protect it."

"Kenpo incorporates confidence, skill, and judgement."

"Kenpo never changes, it is perpetually refined."

Just a brief excerpt from "The Zen of Kenpo" by Ed Parker. Enjoy

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK, so does kenpo hold itself to a collection of principles or techniques? Is there a set of core principles or techniques that govern what is and is not Kenpo? Or is it more of a philosohpy of fighting?

7sm

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
OK, so does kenpo hold itself to a collection of principles or techniques? Is there a set of core principles or techniques that govern what is and is not Kenpo? Or is it more of a philosohpy of fighting?

7sm

The techniques, forms, and sets are the structured level of communication of the concepts, theories, and principles. To learn the system's techniques, forms, and sets is to learn the concepts, theories, and principles.

DarK LorD

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
So there is a core set of principles, concepts, and theories?

Could've sworn I just answered that question. Yes, there is a core set of prinicples, they are taught using the techniques, forms, and sets. Each technique, form, and set contain concepts theories and principles that can be used to discern synonomous motion thruout the system, and they cover a wide spectrum using the universal pattern and dimensional zones.

DarK LorD

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dark Kenpo Lord said:
Could've sworn I just answered that question. Yes, there is a core set of prinicples, they are taught using the techniques, forms, and sets. Each technique, form, and set contain concepts theories and principles that can be used to discern synonomous motion thruout the system, and they cover a wide spectrum using the universal pattern and dimensional zones.

DarK LorD
Vaguely at best. I'm really interested in seeing these core principles, concepts, or techniques writtne out.

7sm

J

jbclinic

not to mimic bruce lee, but kenpo IS actually an extention of me. always thinking, moving and striking at lifes obstcles

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
Vaguely at best. I'm really interested in seeing these core principles, concepts, or techniques writtne out.

7sm

I suggest buying the Infinite Insight series or the Encyclopedia of Kenpo for an indepth view of the terminolgy, but I seriously doubt you could extrapolate much from it if you're not actively studying the system.

DarK LorD

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dark Kenpo Lord said:
I suggest buying the Infinite Insight series or the Encyclopedia of Kenpo for an indepth view of the terminolgy, but I seriously doubt you could extrapolate much from it if you're not actively studying the system.

DarK LorD

so the infinite insights series wont teach me anything unless im studying AK?

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dark Kenpo Lord said:
No, that's not what I said, please reread the post.

DarK LorD

Dark Kenpo Lord said:
but I seriously doubt you could extrapolate much from it if you're not actively studying the system.

DarK LorD

i take that to mean that i really wouldnt learn anything or much of anything if i wasnt actively studying the system.

so what did you actually mean?

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
I don't think this is a fair statement to make. There are many many many styles of kung fu, and many of them are extremely different from each other. I think you would need to specify which kung fu you believe kenpo has included, and why you think it has been taken to a higher level than the originial.

I understand you don't mean any offense and this is just your opinion, but I would like to see you qualify this statement, if you would.

It is my understanding that the art now, is unique as Mr. Parker developed it. However, it does have roots in Hawaii, that go back to Japan, and before that China. The name itself, "Kenpo" implies a connection and acceptance of the Chinese roots, since it is a Japanese translation of the Chinese "kuen fa", or law of the fist. This is noteworthy since the various Japanese karate systems deliberately moved to distance themselves and deny any connection to the Chinese arts. This happened in the early 20th century when the written character for "kara", meaning "China", was changed to a different written character, still pronounced "kara", but meaning "empty". So: Karate - Empty Hand vs. the older version of Karate - China Hand.

So getting back to what I am saying, the use of the word Kenpo to describe an art implicitly recognizes that the art has roots in China. What exactly these roots are is difficult to say due to the time that has passed, and the changes that have been made to the art along the way. I don't think it is possible to connect American Kenpo to any specific Chinese art, and likewise I don't think it is possible to claim that Kenpo somehow includes Kung Fu but on a higher level than the original kung fu.

I love and respect Kenpo, it is my root in the martial arts as it was the first art that I trained in. I believe that my foundations in kenpo have given me a distinct advantage in studying the other arts that I have studied since then. However, I know some really good kung fu people (I keep trying to become one of them myself), and I am often surprised by what I learn from these people, and by what they can do.

Just my two cents. Thanks
michael
Good post sir - but it does depend upon the Kenpo and its teacher. :) In America today, the term "Kenpo" has become as generic as the word "karate." Your point about "qungfu" is well taken. Even in the Parker Lineage it's all over the map in curriculum and especially effectiveness.

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
i take that to mean that i really wouldnt learn anything or much of anything if i wasnt actively studying the system.

so what did you actually mean?

extrapolate

One entry found for extrapolate. Main Entry: ex·trap·o·late
Pronunciation: ik-'stra-p&-"lAt
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): -lat·ed; -lat·ing
Etymology: Latin extra outside + English -polate (as in interpolate) -- more at [SIZE=-1]EXTRA-[/SIZE]
transitive senses
1 : to infer (values of a variable in an unobserved interval) from values within an already observed interval
2 a : to project, extend, or expand (known data or experience) into an area not known or experienced so as to arrive at a usually conjectural knowledge of the unknown area <extrapolates present trends to construct an image of the future> b : to predict by projecting past experience or known data <extrapolate public sentiment on one issue from known public reaction on others>
intransitive senses : to perform the act or process of extrapolating
- ex·trap·o·la·tion /-"stra-p&-'lA-sh&n/ noun
- ex·trap·o·la·tive /-'stra-p&-"lA-tiv/ adjective
- ex·trap·o·la·tor /-"lA-t&r/ noun

If I was unclear in my statement here's some help. Chances are, you won't extrapolate much if you're not studying the system. I've always thought it best to feel the principles in action, simply reading II or EOK doesn't do much good to those without a base knowledge of AK.

DarK LorD

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Doc said:
Good post sir - but it does depend upon the Kenpo and its teacher. :) In America today, the term "Kenpo" has become a generic as "karate." Your point about "qungfu" is well taken.

Thank you, Doc. For simplicity, I guess I was just figuring we were on the same page in considering the kenpo that was taught by Mr. Chow to Mr. Parker, and then mainly it's derivatives that have since spread from Mr. Parker. The various Okinawan Kempo, Shorinji Kempo, and other various Kenpo systems that did not come from Mr. Parker, or at least from Mr. Chow or possibly at least from the Mitose clan I believe are actually quite different. And of course there have been numerous branches that originated with the Mitose/Chow/Parker lineage that have gone off in separate directions, but at least have the common roots.