How would you describe kenpo?

parkerkarate

Blue Belt
Reaction score
kevin kilroe said:
If you had to get up in front of a group of people and explain what American kenpo is, what would you say?

Kevin kilroe

I would say that is a mix of three styles. Boxing, Judo, and Kung Fu. We have a lot of grapiling, fluent motions such as in Kung-Fu and I think I heard Mr. Palanzo say that Mr. Parker used to be a boxer but dont quote me on that. I think it takes Kung-Fu to a much higher and better level. I mean no offense to anyone that is just my opinion. Event though Kenpo is not totally realistic anymore I love it.

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Wow, I have only been learning Kenpo for about six months now and just received my advanced yellow belt. To answer that question of what is Kenpo well that would take ten pages and I would leave out 90% at least just in explaining what Kenpo is in my limited experience of this style. Then to go into why I am so addicted to this style and hope to peruse learning would take another 10 pages or more.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Someone has a great signature that describes kenpo in one sentence.

The ability to hit someone in so many places that they can't hold all the places that hurt ....

or something close to that. It's a good description, I think.

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Some would describe that Kenpo is "overkill", but hey I don't mind ;)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
parkerkarate said:
I think it takes Kung-Fu to a much higher and better level. I mean no offense to anyone that is just my opinion.

I don't think this is a fair statement to make. There are many many many styles of kung fu, and many of them are extremely different from each other. I think you would need to specify which kung fu you believe kenpo has included, and why you think it has been taken to a higher level than the originial.

I understand you don't mean any offense and this is just your opinion, but I would like to see you qualify this statement, if you would.

It is my understanding that the art now, is unique as Mr. Parker developed it. However, it does have roots in Hawaii, that go back to Japan, and before that China. The name itself, "Kenpo" implies a connection and acceptance of the Chinese roots, since it is a Japanese translation of the Chinese "kuen fa", or law of the fist. This is noteworthy since the various Japanese karate systems deliberately moved to distance themselves and deny any connection to the Chinese arts. This happened in the early 20th century when the written character for "kara", meaning "China", was changed to a different written character, still pronounced "kara", but meaning "empty". So: Karate - Empty Hand vs. the older version of Karate - China Hand.

So getting back to what I am saying, the use of the word Kenpo to describe an art implicitly recognizes that the art has roots in China. What exactly these roots are is difficult to say due to the time that has passed, and the changes that have been made to the art along the way. I don't think it is possible to connect American Kenpo to any specific Chinese art, and likewise I don't think it is possible to claim that Kenpo somehow includes Kung Fu but on a higher level than the original kung fu.

I love and respect Kenpo, it is my root in the martial arts as it was the first art that I trained in. I believe that my foundations in kenpo have given me a distinct advantage in studying the other arts that I have studied since then. However, I know some really good kung fu people (I keep trying to become one of them myself), and I am often surprised by what I learn from these people, and by what they can do.

Just my two cents. Thanks
michael

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I must confess I have nearly no knowledge of kenpo at all, but I'm very curious about it. As a "kung fu person" I would be interested in hearing what aspects of kung fu are used in kenpo as well. I know these questions have all been asked before, I've read several of them, but what makes Kenpo unique? Does Kenpo use core principles for its fighting? If so, what are some of them?

7sm

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here is my take on Kenpo. First, I am from the Tracy lineage, and a low ranking black belt, so if my information is somehow inaccurate, especially with regards to Mr. Parker, I wish to apologize up front.

Kenpo is its own animal, plain and simple. While it has at times been called Kenpo Karate, Kenpo Kung Fu, Kenpo Jujitsu, and just plain Kenpo, I think the last is the most accurate. People who remained close to Mr. Parker's teachings as he changed the art refer to it as American Kenpo. The Tracys, who were early students of Mr. Parker in the 1950s, and who did not accept the changes that Mr. Parker began to make in the system, refer to it as Traditional Kenpo. I am not a proponent of anyone's agenda, so for me, it is just Kenpo. While I trained in the Tracy's lineage, I have made changes of my own, and do not belong to any organizations. I am a free agent, if you will.

Kenpo traces its history to Hawaii, where it was taught by William Chow. Chow learned from the Mitose clan, who were originally from Japan. Tradition has it that it was influenced by, or originated in China, but I don't know how well that can be documented. It is probably a safe assumption. Ed Parker learned from William Chow in Hawaii, and brought the art to the Mainland. Gradually, he began to change the art and make what he felt were improvements based on his own experiences and insights.

So, American Kenpo is an American system with roots in Hawaii, Japan, and China, but it has been changed tremendously to the point where it is not like anything else. I don't believe it is kung fu, karate, or jujitsu, altho some may see similarities between these arts in the techniques. Kenpo has many self-defense techniques that teach the student rapid-fire use of the hands and feet, as well as joint-locks and manipulations. Thru the medium of these self-defense techniques, kenpo teaches principles that make technique applications useful and effective. These include proper angle, torque, evasion, and power generation. While I believe these principles are taught in most, if not all martial arts, Kenpo looks at them from an analytical/scientific/physiological perspective, and perhaps makes a greater attempt to codify and describe this information.

If I have mischaracterized anything here, or have missed any important parts, please feel free to correct me. This goes esp. to those who have remained closer to Mr. Parker, as they obviously would have a greater understanding of American Kenpo in particular.

michael

parkerkarate

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
I don't think this is a fair statement to make. There are many many many styles of kung fu, and many of them are extremely different from each other. I think you would need to specify which kung fu you believe kenpo has included, and why you think it has been taken to a higher level than the originial.

I understand you don't mean any offense and this is just your opinion, but I would like to see you qualify this statement, if you would.

It is my understanding that the art now, is unique as Mr. Parker developed it. However, it does have roots in Hawaii, that go back to Japan, and before that China. The name itself, "Kenpo" implies a connection and acceptance of the Chinese roots, since it is a Japanese translation of the Chinese "kuen fa", or law of the fist. This is noteworthy since the various Japanese karate systems deliberately moved to distance themselves and deny any connection to the Chinese arts. This happened in the early 20th century when the written character for "kara", meaning "China", was changed to a different written character, still pronounced "kara", but meaning "empty". So: Karate - Empty Hand vs. the older version of Karate - China Hand.

So getting back to what I am saying, the use of the word Kenpo to describe an art implicitly recognizes that the art has roots in China. What exactly these roots are is difficult to say due to the time that has passed, and the changes that have been made to the art along the way. I don't think it is possible to connect American Kenpo to any specific Chinese art, and likewise I don't think it is possible to claim that Kenpo somehow includes Kung Fu but on a higher level than the original kung fu.

I love and respect Kenpo, it is my root in the martial arts as it was the first art that I trained in. I believe that my foundations in kenpo have given me a distinct advantage in studying the other arts that I have studied since then. However, I know some really good kung fu people (I keep trying to become one of them myself), and I am often surprised by what I learn from these people, and by what they can do.

Just my two cents. Thanks
michael

I know there are many styles of Kung-Fu including all the animal styles. All I meant was that in some parts Kenpo flows and has the same patterns as Kung-Fu. I am sorry I was not explicit enough.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
parkerkarate said:
I know there are many styles of Kung-Fu including all the animal styles. All I meant was that in some parts Kenpo flows and has the same patterns as Kung-Fu. I am sorry I was not explicit enough.

fair enough, no offense taken.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
American Kenpo is a modified version of Southern Chinese Kung Fu, known for its fast hand strikes and for its verbosity.

From Wikipedia (See here):

Ed Parker’s American Kenpo Karate is a martial arts style characterized by the use of quick moves in rapid-fire succession intended to overwhelm an opponent. It is largely marketed as a "street" self-defense style and is derived from traditional Southern Chinese martial arts, but with significant modifications.

L

lonekimono10

7starmantis said:

something's make you go hmmm??
but really when you think of kenpo and you have to tell other's what it is about? i tell them it's like playing pool, one move sets up the other and it must make sence>

Reactions: MJS

Latest Discussions