How to handle the parents

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Last Saturday I had a group of parents that wanted my blinds closed and I said politely no. Well withen a few minutes they are closing my blinds and I need them open to help drum up business as we all know, well it turned into a ***** feast and me in the middle of it. I have explain and explain but I have these tiny group that all they do is ***** about everything. I believe I need to showw them the door but my better half believes this will hurt the school in the long run.

I just cannot imagine anybody going and doing these things especially after they have been told no by me and explain why. I need alternatives so I can get my point a cross for them. any help will be apprciated.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll start by saying that if you they asked, you said "no", then going ahead and doing it anyway was very, very rude.

however, what, specifically was the issue with the blinds. I get why you want them open (makes sense...otherwise the school might look closed, passerby lookeeloos won't see anything of interest inside).

Why did they want them closed? Was the light getting in their eyes or something?

i guess what I'm wondering is if there is some other solution to the issue than closing or not closing the blinds? Something that makes you and them happy.

Peace,
Erik

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Nice. Did you explain to them that you were trying to teach their kids respect and that their behavior was a poor example?What was their objection to the blinds being open? If it's that it makes their kid self conscious, I'd ask them to consider that you are trying to teach their kid self defense above all and they need to perform that in public when the time comes.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Eric I have chairs and benches that goes up against the windows for the parents to sit and watch, the few that was sittting next to the window said the sun was beating down on them and remember the only thing is it was the back of there head and shoulders. I told them they could just move down a row and be closer to the front where there was no sun but they wannted to be in the back. I get alot of drive by people on the weekends and need them to see what is going on and at the same time I do not want to loose some people over little things.

My windows have a cover that allows people to see in but it blocks about 60% of the sun from coming in and by the way I have another seating area that is not by any windows, but they just want to sit there and then complain aout it.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nice. Did you explain to them that you were trying to teach their kids respect and that their behavior was a poor example?What was their objection to the blinds being open? If it's that it makes their kid self conscious, I'd ask them to consider that you are trying to teach their kid self defense above all and they need to perform that in public when the time comes.

Yes went over everything about the tenets and what we do they just want to sit there adn complain about the sun. My god we live in Texas we always have sun.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
If they were in class training with everyone else they probably wouldn't get sun on them. :)

R. McLain

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, then you did the right thing by offering a compromise. Nothing more I can add....some folks just can't ever be happy. Get some big silly hats and when the sun gets too hot...let 'em wear those. :D

Peace,
Erik

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I understand your concern, but I don't think you will get a lot of sympathy from the parents if you tell them that you're weighing their discomfort against the benefit of drawing potential new customers. Is it possible to change the configuration of the room so that the benches and chairs are not directly in front of the window?

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I understand your concern, but I don't think you will get a lot of sympathy from the parents if you tell them that you're weighing their discomfort against the benefit of drawing potential new customers. Is it possible to change the configuration of the room so that the benches and chairs are not directly in front of the window?

No I have windows across the entire front, I do have benches and chair that are away from the front of the windows but they just want to sit there.

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I go thru this crap all the time! Most of the problem in my school are parents in the waiting area. Why can't I eat a full course meal in here? Why can't my little one walk or stand on your chairs? Why can't we chew gum and stick it under the seat when we are finished? Sorry I spilled coffee all over the floor, but you don't think I should have to clean it up! How come I can't bring all of Billy's action figures and spread them all over the floor so that people can't walk thru and sit down? They move chairs, papers , signs , plants and what ever is in there way. I posted sign after sign after sign..... I really don't understand how you can bring your child to learn respect when you can't show some yourself. I find myself being a total ****head at times to parents. The funny thing is they still come back. It's crazy! Good luck, I haven't found an answer. But you just remember what ever you do, they will all talk **** about it behind your back in the packing lot! I 've went with the advise i got here and kick a few right out the door! The best thing I ever did!

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Oh.... I almost forgot! iT'S HOT IN HERE! I know the air is set for 70% but I'm working up a sweat just watching Billy kicking those paddles!:boing2:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Remove the blinds completely, Terry. When you close up shop or want privacy, put a folding screen in front of the window or stand a folding mat up back there. Of course, you'll want to keep any folding screens locked in your office or store room until such time you require them.

Nobody can close blinds that don't exist. Saves the hassle and the arguments.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Last Saturday I had a group of parents that wanted my blinds closed and I said politely no. Well withen a few minutes they are closing my blinds and I need them open to help drum up business as we all know, well it turned into a ***** feast and me in the middle of it. I have explain and explain but I have these tiny group that all they do is ***** about everything. I believe I need to showw them the door but my better half believes this will hurt the school in the long run.

I just cannot imagine anybody going and doing these things especially after they have been told no by me and explain why. I need alternatives so I can get my point a cross for them. any help will be apprciated.

Touch to advise, when the reasons for complaining are not open.

The deal is, if they do so loud and long enough in the lobby they will 'infect' the other parents. Sometimes you have to throw the bad apples out in order to safe the rest.

and just a little FWIW: in my office nobody draws the blinds but me. I find that an incredible act, really.

We had one parent who would tell all the other parents how we would do things wrong and where to go buy stuff and so on and so forth. he did get a few good talking to's. and eventually he stopped coming in. His girls were the sweetest, but just because they transferred in from another school did not make room for Daddy to flap his gumms! Most parents were not bothered, but heck, considering they assited in teaching (the girls) Daddy had a lot exposure to the parents of the new kids.

To cut a long story short: If these parents make you dread coming to work, it's time for them to leave. (and there have been many instances, not in Dojangs, but other places of same nature, were the general public aplauded the removal of the trouble making elements from the environment.I mean, there are enough places out there, maybe they need a school that fits their needs better!)

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Remove the blinds completely....
Yes, yes, and double yes!!!

Then announce durning the end of class that due to a few disrepectful people "that shall remain nameless" the blinds have been removed. Also announce that if the disrepect continues that the parties involved will be asked to leave. Also make sure to acknowledge that this issue is at rest and you will discuss it no futher.

I think your point will be made after this.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score

Then announce durning the end of class that due to a few disrepectful people "that shall remain nameless" the blinds have been removed. Also announce that if the disrepect continues that the parties involved will be asked to leave. Also make sure to acknowledge that this issue is at rest and you will discuss it no futher.

I can speak only for myself, but if I ever received this sort of response my association with the school would end immediately. Terry's goal in keeping the blinds open is to increase his client base, you don't do that by antagonizing existing customers.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I don't know if I'd go that far. They are paying your bills but that doesn't give them the right to be blatantly disrespectful.

Interesting way of dealing with customers...

While one still must be delicate, these parents are interfering with their children's martial arts education by doing what they damn well please.

Terry, you really don't need to - and probably shouldn't - say anything more to them. Be polite and courteous and just have the blinds removed.

If they ask you about it, just tell them someone broke them opening and shutting them improperly and you won't be replacing them. Smile, and go back to teaching their students or that phone call you have waiting in your office, I'm sure you'll find some reason to excuse yourself before they ask too many questions.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am a parent and I have had the unfortunate opportunity to sit in waiting rooms at Dojangs in the past. The behavior of some parents is very hard to take. Some parents make the rest of us look bad it is sad. Not all parents are selfish and rude some of us work with the Masters to get the best experience for all.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can speak only for myself, but if I ever received this sort of response my association with the school would end immediately...
We have kick out students and parents for less. If you are that disrepectful then so be it.

Latest Discussions