Parent's and their kids (stories)

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had a strange thing happen to me at class tonight. While I'm not an instructor, I'm asked to help teach the lower belt levels when it's needed. Ocasionally, parent's will thank me after their class for helping the youngster with a particular problem area, and that's it. I've gotten used to that, but tonight, one guy actually got up after the kid's class (just before my class time), and placed both hands on my shoulder's and congratulated me. I had no clue as to what was up! Then he explained the problem with his son not getting his kicks up very high or very powerful, and continued to thank me. That had to have been the weirdest experience I've had in class! Has anyone else had a strange moment with parents or students?

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
It means that you are doing things right for that student. Everyone processes things differently. Sometimes when one instructor tries to get and idea across to a student and they just don't get it you have another instructor try from a different angle to see if that works.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is one of best things about teaching....Occasionally, you get thanked! Great job, tkdgirl!

OP
bluemtn

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! For the longest time, I felt like either had 2 left feet or got tongue- tied when trying to explain a certain move to my fellow classmates.

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Alot of times you can have all the knowledge in the world and cannot impart that knowledge (we all have had a teacher very smart but didn't have a clue how to teach) then you have people who might not have all the academic creditentials but who are natural teachers and can educate others, sounds like you might be in the latter category. One of the greatest feelings in the world is teaching a child and they learn, sometimes you feel you are getting more out of the deal than they are. Congrats and keep up the good work!

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
One time, a very young student obviously did his absolute best in class, trying his hardest with every kick/hit/punch. I asked his parents to stay after class, and I made a big point of complimenting and really encouraging him in front of his parents. The next class, his parents pulled me aside to tell me how much that meant to their son.

As a parent first and part-time MA instructor second, I know that ANY good news about your child is a welcome relief and a breath of fresh air. Also, there is nothing better that you can do for me than to do something kind for one of my kids. So, yes, TKDgirl, ya done good!! Something you did made a lasting impact on a student, and his parents noticed.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
As a parent first and part-time MA instructor second, I know that ANY good news about your child is a welcome relief and a breath of fresh air. Also, there is nothing better that you can do for me than to do something kind for one of my kids.

You said it all Ninjamom!

Miles

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had a parent of a student tell me today that her son is less interested in other things & more interested in Taekwondo. She was really grateful to me for it. The truth is, her son is a joy to have in class. It's fun to tell parents that.:)

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had a strange thing happen to me at class tonight. While I'm not an instructor, I'm asked to help teach the lower belt levels when it's needed.

Ah, but that means that you *are* an instructor of sorts.

Congrats on your experience with this, and your success. I do hope this is a sign of things to come.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had a parent of a student tell me today that her son is less interested in other things & more interested in Taekwondo. She was really grateful to me for it. The truth is, her son is a joy to have in class. It's fun to tell parents that.:)

That is great news Iceman

Latest Discussions