How to deal...?

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Two ways:

Either talk to them, pull rank and say "here's what you need to be working on and here's what I expect you to do."

Or,

Match their intent and take them down. Then say "what you should really be working on is...here's how we can do that together."

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The guys I'm talking about aren't instructors. All of the instructors are willing and able to dial it down. Many of the fighters are as well. There are just a few who aren't interested in taking it easy.
That's why I put the whole group into a special case... Those guys who just don't want to take it down a notch? They're just examples of the group that refuses to exercise control. :D

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
personally id do what my instructor would tell me or one of the other students... slow down, you can speed up as you get better but right now just slow down (not exactly in his words but i'm pretty sure its at least close)

this isnt my place but i assume it may help to be a little more cautious. to me getting your head slammed against the ground(even if there's a mat) seems dangerous. might have been fine this time but next time...???

best of luck

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've been doing that with the girl, I can maneuver around as I'm faster and she leaves spots open and I defitnely make sure I block when I'm with her (she loves the rib shots). First time sparring the guy and of course did regular sparring which is my weakest type of sparring. After the head issue I just focused on leg kicks and keeping him from not getting close enough to take me down. Though since it is my weakest area I need to find a partner that wont murder me while I work on my take downs

Sprawl,crossface, overhook.

Latest Discussions