How to be Self-taught?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I asked how I might be able to teach myself martial arts I thought, maybe, there was a method to martial practice. There is a method to chess study - but apparently not to martial arts study other than having a teacher.
The thing about Martial Art is there are 1000s of martial arts and there are 100's of methodologies.
Each has its own strategies, tactics, and method. Which martial art are you wanting to teach yourself? To become good in a particular art then you will need to practice properly within that arts methods. That is why everyone said to get a competent instructor. There is more to a punch than just pushing your fist toward a target and the same with wrist strikes, forearm strikes, elbows, shoulders, hips, knees, shins, feet. Stance, weight distribution, footwork..., etc.

OP
marvelous65

marvelous65

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It was said early on in this debate that the amount of knowledge offered in this thread is staggering. But I am a beginner martial artist. And while I'll readily admit I learned not to be self-taught from all of you. Finding a teacher is the only advice any of you had. That's not saying much. I feel I've walked away from this debate with a clear and decisive victory over people who are supposedly knowledgeable martial artists. Hoorah!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was said early on in this debate that the amount of knowledge offered in this thread is staggering. But I am a beginner martial artist. And while I'll readily admit I learned not to be self-taught from all of you. Finding a teacher is the only advice any of you had. That's not saying much. I feel I've walked away from this debate with a clear and decisive victory over people who are supposedly knowledgeable martial artists. Hoorah!

Pride comes before a fall.

OP
marvelous65

marvelous65

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Martial arts......because you failed the first step...having an empty cup.
If I fail at martial arts will I never be able to teach someone how to study martial arts? And if I failed in this way how would that make me any different than you?

OP
marvelous65

marvelous65

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The thing about Martial Art is there are 1000s of martial arts and there are 100's of methodologies.
Each has its own strategies, tactics, and method. Which martial art are you wanting to teach yourself? To become good in a particular art then you will need to practice properly within that arts methods. That is why everyone said to get a competent instructor. There is more to a punch than just pushing your fist toward a target and the same with wrist strikes, forearm strikes, elbows, shoulders, hips, knees, shins, feet. Stance, weight distribution, footwork..., etc.

I can practice razing against my BoB and achieve at least moderate competency in footwork from shadow boxing. These are methods of training I already figured on before I approached all of you with my question on how to be self-taught martial arts. Now, that I have gleamed sooooo much wisdom from the likes of yourselves, I still think that practicing razing, doing a little shadow boxing, and wrestling with friends will suffice for what I want to get out of my training. They say that when the only tool you have is a hammer - all challenges that lay ahead will look as if being a nail. All of you have expressed just such a soundness in addressing my inquiry. You have suggested that I have a teacher. But none of you were able to express anything beyond just that; unfortunately, you are all seemingly ill equipped to offer advice on martial arts.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I fail at martial arts will I never be able to teach someone how to study martial arts? And if I failed in this way how would that make me any different than you?

Ah dear boy, I shall wish you luck on your journey through life because one day there will come an event that will turn everything you think you know on it's head, and that day will determine that what you think is your character, your strength of mind and your superiority is nothing more than a fiction.

OP
marvelous65

marvelous65

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ah dear boy, I shall wish you luck on your journey through life because one day there will come an event that will turn everything you think you know on it's head, and that day will determine that what you think is your character, your strength of mind and your superiority is nothing more than a fiction.
Whatever!

OP
marvelous65

marvelous65

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think you have vastly misunderstood Musashi. First, understanding strategy from martial arts study is definitely acheivable, but to what end? What strategy? As Chris noted, it will vary considerably based on what art you study. The strategies I use in my Aikido studies are very different from the strategies I use in my Iaido studies, etc. As to the second point. I'm a published author too. I'm a researcher and editorialist and have written many pieces....it's not irrelevant, but what you are missing is the context. Musashi Sensei lived in a time when many warriors studied martial arts to the exclusion of everything else. His point has to be taken in the context in when he lived. He meant that a true warrior had to embrace not only the physical, but the mental and intellectual pursuits of his day. This cannot be extended to mean if you are a good writer that you can naturally learn martial arts without instruction, that is an error in reasoning and logic. I am very familiar with Josh Waitzkin, but you do realize he was not a "self taught" martial artist right?

Musashi's vastly superior skill with a sword should not deter you from applying the principles of study he purported. Learn strategy. Make yourself a writer. And, yes, you could even lead life traveling the countryside, many practitioners of the other arts do. Why is there such an emphasis among martial artists for competition? Fighting is not everything.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can practice razing against my BoB and achieve at least moderate competency in footwork from shadow boxing. These are methods of training I already figured on before I approached all of you with my question on how to be self-taught martial arts. Now, that I have gleamed sooooo much wisdom from the likes of yourselves, I still think that practicing razing, doing a little shadow boxing, and wrestling with friends will suffice for what I want to get out of my training. They say that when the only tool you have is a hammer - all challenges that lay ahead will look as if being a nail. All of you have expressed just such a soundness in addressing my inquiry. You have suggested that I have a teacher. But none of you were able to express anything beyond just that; unfortunately, you are all seemingly ill equipped to offer advice on martial arts.
Shadow boxing is an excellent way to smooth out one's movements. Now what kind of shadow boxing will you be doing? Western boxing, Muay Thai, Silat, Savate, Muay Buran, Pekiti-Tirsia... I can continue. Each of these have differing actions, movements, footwork. Now how about range drills, timing drills, tempering drills? What kind of punching, what is your delivery style and what mechanics will you be developing. Staying grounded on the heel or do you pivot on the ball of the foot lifting the heel. Or, is your center of gravity weighted forward, centered, or rearward. Do you turn on the front foot or the rear? Give some more information as to what system, style of martial art you are wanting to teach yourself?

OP
marvelous65

marvelous65

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Shadow boxing is an excellent way to smooth out one's movements. Now what kind of shadow boxing will you be doing? Western boxing, Muay Thai, Silat, Savate, Muay Buran, Pekiti-Tirsia... I can continue. Each of these have differing actions, movements, footwork. Now how about range drills, timing drills, tempering drills? What kind of punching, what is your delivery style and what mechanics will you be developing. Staying grounded on the heel or do you pivot on the ball of the foot lifting the heel. Or, is your center of gravity weighted forward, centered, or rearward. Do you turn on the front foot or the rear? Give some more information as to what system, style of martial art you are wanting to teach yourself?

No. I was thinking of just crudely going about developing a little rhythm and elusiveness. I'll more or less attempt a means of staying in shape while developing a modest amount of skill. Thanks.

OP
marvelous65

marvelous65

Orange Belt
Reaction score
No. I was thinking of just crudely going about developing a little rhythm and elusiveness. I'll more or less attempt a means of staying in shape while developing a modest amount of skill. Thanks.

In my independent study I found out that boxers get up to jumping rope for over 15 minutes at a time. I will not bother with that either. It just doesn't serve my purposes. I'm only looking for moderate skill and ability; your all trying to persuade me into being a serious student of the martial arts. It's just not going to happen. If that was what I had in mind I would not have thought to be self-taught in the first place. Duh!

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wish had read this prior to posting anything.
"...walked away from this debate with a clear and decisive victory..."
I was under the impression you were seeking information. But you were debating not discussing. For a victory you had an opinion already and were seeking conformation or were wanting to make an argument. Ok you win. You have all of your assumed knowledge; go shadow box and razing on Bob to your hearts content.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
OP
marvelous65

marvelous65

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Wish had read this prior to posting anything.
"...walked away from this debate with a clear and decisive victory..."
I was under the impression you were seeking information. But you were debating not discussing. For a victory you had an opinion already and were seeking conformation or were wanting to make an argument. Ok you win. You have all of your assumed knowledge; go shadow box and razing on Bob to your hearts content.

It started as a
Billy Blanks Workout Lot 9 Volume Set Tae Bo Bootcamp New DVD eBay

The 9 volume set of TaeBo can be yours for only $30. You might get some rhythm but it won't teach you elusiveness.

Thank you but I don't own a tv I find it to inhibit my writing practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions