How much training is enough?

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This was a topic that came up a couple of weeks ago in our school. Then the other night, my wife asked this same question. How would you respond to this question?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When you have worked hard and are tired and worn out and you feel that you have grown and learned something, that is enough FOR TODAY.

Tomorrow, do it again.

and the next day, and the next day.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We recommend minimum amount of training days depending upon what level the student is going for at our school.
For example: 2 - 3 days per week for beginner, 3 - 4 days for intermediate, 4 - 5 days for advanced and 6 days per week when training for blackbelt.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As much as you can. Here is a lil sidenote, not wanting to get off topic here, but has anyone else been worried about being attacked after a particurlly rough class when you are all worn out and sore?

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
masherdong said:
This was a topic that came up a couple of weeks ago in our school. Then the other night, my wife asked this same question. How would you respond to this question?

interesting... everyone took a different angle than me on this question.

instead of how much per week, I was thinking more along the lines of how many years, or what belt target... for instance, do you train till a black belt, a 5th degree blackbelt, ect. Or until you reach a certain age?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
mrhnau said:

instead of how much per week, I was thinking more along the lines of how many years, or what belt target... for instance, do you train till a black belt, a 5th degree blackbelt, ect. Or until you reach a certain age?

I think targeting an age or a rank is a mistake. If you train smart, then you should be able to train most of the rest of your life. If you target a rank, you may reach the rank and then lose interest and drift away. But if you never reach the rank you targeted, they maybe you get frustrated. Rank should never be a goal. It should only be a mile-marker along the way, as you train for a lifetime.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've heard most often that at least 2 times a week is the minimum for any positve development. This is only a rule of thumb though as there are many variables that go into the equasion. The length of classes and the activity involved in those classes, etc. In my case, I go 4 times a week. Any more than that and my body "complains". It actually becomes counter productive. Much less and I start to become lethargic. Your mileage may vary.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
I think targeting an age or a rank is a mistake. If you train smart, then you should be able to train most of the rest of your life. If you target a rank, you may reach the rank and then lose interest and drift away. But if you never reach the rank you targeted, they maybe you get frustrated. Rank should never be a goal. It should only be a mile-marker along the way, as you train for a lifetime.

from a practical perspective, if you don't want to teach (I really don't care to), that means you are likely going to be paying for the rest of your life. so, am I willing to be paying X amount per month/year for the next 60 years?

personally, I'd enjoy training for the rest of my life, but I can understand how that would get difficult, especially if I had kids and had trouble meeting ends financially. I don't think it would be a matter of losing interest, but I guess some people would after a while...

kickcatcher

Green Belt
Reaction score
A little good training is probably worth more than a lot of bad training. But generally, yeah try to train a fair amount.

For most of us, who aren't proffessional martial artists, we have to balance it with the rest of our lives. I've seen people who I think got that balance wrong and then it becomes unhealthy. MA is a nice hobby, maybe a dream job, but it isn't the whole world. IMO.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
from a practical perspective, if you don't want to teach (I really don't care to), that means you are likely going to be paying for the rest of your life. so, am I willing to be paying X amount per month/year for the next 60 years?

personally, I'd enjoy training for the rest of my life, but I can understand how that would get difficult, especially if I had kids and had trouble meeting ends financially. I don't think it would be a matter of losing interest, but I guess some people would after a while...

no no, that is not what I mean at all. What you learn in class, you take with you outside of class. You learn it and make it yours. You don't leave it behind when you leave the dojo. You need to practice outside the dojo, on your own. This is when you know if the lessons really sink in, because you don't have the teacher telling you what to do. You need to find your own inspiration to train, and use your own creativity to make your practice worth while.

Whether or not you continue to belong to a formal school is your own choice. You may even belong to several different schools at different times in your life. But if you choose to not belong, that doesn't mean you must abandon your training. No matter what level you might have reached, you still can continue to practice and make it a steady part of your life. This is what I mean by training for a lifetime.

OP
masherdong

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Yes, that was the intent of the question. Sorry for the vagueness.

jgrimm01

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think the question is really open-ended and subjective to the ideals of each person individually...what is 'enough'? Enough for what? Long enough? Tough enough? Late enough?

I think 'enough' is when you're personally satisfied with what you've accomplished and have reached the goal you set for yourself when you started your training. If that goal is 5th Dan, can anything short of attaining that goal truly be considered 'enough'?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
jgrimm01 said:
If that goal is 5th Dan, can anything short of attaining that goal truly be considered 'enough'?

But what happens when you reach 5th Dan? Mission Accomplished, time to quit? That is the problem when one sees it as a goal.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
masherdong said:
Until one reaches death. It is life, the only thing after life is death. It isn't a race and the end is not a prize, it is the experience along the way that matters most.

jgrimm01

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
But what happens when you reach 5th Dan? Mission Accomplished, time to quit? That is the problem when one sees it as a goal.

I totally agree...I was just saying, who defines what 'enough' means? Each person has his/her own ideas of what it means to them. A 'goal' is an end to a means, a finite event, where 'enough' is speculative, meaning something different for everyone.

Personally, I set goals that once attained can be built upon...'enough' to me is when I'm satisfied that what I've accomplished that day/week/month is the best I could have done to get where I want to go.

Great topic....

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
jgrimm01 said:
I totally agree...I was just saying, who defines what 'enough' means? Each person has his/her own ideas of what it means to them. A 'goal' is an end to a means, a finite event, where 'enough' is speculative, meaning something different for everyone.

Personally, I set goals that once attained can be built upon...'enough' to me is when I'm satisfied that what I've accomplished that day/week/month is the best I could have done to get where I want to go.

Great topic....

agreed.

Latest Discussions