How much training is enough?

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
To me there is never enough.
MA to me is a lifetime commitment with no goal so to speak.
I just keep doing it for knowledge. It isnt about belts and trophies to me, it is about obtaining knowledge so in order for that to happen i must train and that is never ending whether it is physical or mental. When im not physially training im mentally training.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
masherdong said:
This was a topic that came up a couple of weeks ago in our school. Then the other night, my wife asked this same question. How would you respond to this question?

Good thread! I'd have to say that depending on the level of the student, there should be a set amount of time. Part of the training in the arts is being able to show some dedication. If we could sit down for a certain amount of time and watch TV, we should be able to work in some training time every day.

Mike

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Great topic and posts!!

For me I have to go to class at least twice per week. However I train at home nearly everyday. This may be as little as practicing one pattern a few times, or as much as going through all my test material, just depends on the day, time available, and of course what my body tells me. There is always something to learn, so there is never enough training for me.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, How much is enough? Like all sports? ... once you stop it takes a while to get back into form.

Martial Arts is a way of life, like breathing....one needs the air of life...so keep going for life.

If meant per week? Um. ...at least twice should do it at class, at home everyday?

Kinda like work..no work..no pay...no train no can move..? The payoff is to keep training ,may payoff one day? At least good health and strong body, when you get older. (over 50 years old +).

1 hour class should equal 5 hours or more on your own? ....Aloha

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Drac said:
Amen Terry...

For me, I gotta go w/ Terry & The Good Count. Too much is never enough! Yet, I'm the 1st one to look out for burn-out in my students & fellow training partners.

OP
masherdong

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow! I finally made a good thread!! I appreciate all the feedback that I have been getting.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
Yet, I'm the 1st one to look out for burn-out in my students & fellow training partners.

Nothing wrong with that..I sure alot of us have been burned out or come close to it..Me, I took a month off and did anything that wasn't related to martial arts training..I came back feeling great was able to train harder..

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
masherdong said:
This was a topic that came up a couple of weeks ago in our school. Then the other night, my wife asked this same question. How would you respond to this question?
The question is too incomplete to answer. How much training is enough for what, self defence, fitness, ect?

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think ever so often after a long regimen of training, its good to take atleast one week off and reflect on something else (spend it outdoors, at the beach, whereever). It helps you appreciate training more, then get back into it the following week.

OP
masherdong

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The question is too incomplete to answer. How much training is enough for what, self defence, fitness, ect?

I think that it was meant to be vague.

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
A minimum of 2 to 3 days per week with an instructor. The student then should practice at least an hour on the days in between, allowing for the weekends, or Sundays off to rest. I've always noticed a significant deifference between those that practice at home between classes, and those that train only during class. I had one student whose dad told me he practices about 2 to 3 hours in between classes, and he progressed faster than any other student. So, as the saying goes, you get out of it what you put into it. I'm sure this is the same with alot of instructors, regardles of the style or system.

Franco

Latest Discussions