How many of you.....

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just wondering, how many of you black belts are competitors, I mean compete in a regular basis and how many of you colored belts are competitors too.

Whern I was a teen I do compete in local and some regionals but one or two nationals but that's all, now I do not compete I do particpiate as a referee.

Manny

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Use too.

Haven't competed in 5-6 years. 2004 I think was the last time.

Starting to feel too old to compete with those 18 year olds.

I have been considering doing Poomse next year. we'll see.

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Well I only started competing a year and a half ago, and we have only had 2 competitions that I know of (for all belts anyway) So I guess Im a competitor! Next competition is in June :)

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Two years ago was my last tournament. Now I just coach. Too hard to compete as an Ultra or what I call Grey belt. For some reason Ultras need to have control to the head when sparing. Would be nice to just allow KO's. This means all fights go the distance, and that just aint fun all the time. Ha ha I got you in the head, oh but yeah we have to keep going because it was only a tap and you are still standing. How fun is that.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I usually compete about once a month, but this year only 3 times so far. I've been really busy.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm a competing colored belt, though I think I've spent almost as much time recovering as competing. I want all the experience I can get while I'm young. I won't have as many opponents once I'm in my 70's, but it's something to shoot for! Actually, the older I get, the more the competition is with myself to keep up with team workouts. Everybody else is a third of my age or younger. It'll either keep me young or make me old...not sure yet which. Either way, it beats the heck out of a bleacher seat and will make me a better coach.

Manny, thanks for refereeing. That's a vital but not often appreciated job. Without referees there are no tournaments.

Last edited:

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
No I dont compete. When I was younger (before I did any martial arts) I was very competitive in every sport I played , I thrived on the competition side of sport. Then, in my early 30's I wanted to do a martial art so I could get fit , flexible etc again. That is what I use tkd for, I've never felt better and it has led to me eating healthier and doing a lot of other exercise such as running and bike riding. These days I just dont have the desire to compete, Im just happy to learn an art , get fit and have some fun with mates.

Bumblebee

Green Belt
Reaction score
I used to compete a lot in mostly local and regional tournaments. I competed on a national level before but I ended up breaking my foot against a guy's elbow and ended up just getting hurt a lot. I'm retired from competing now.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Use too.

Haven't competed in 5-6 years. 2004 I think was the last time.

Starting to feel too old to compete with those 18 year olds.

I have been considering doing Poomse next year. we'll see.

I am also considering poomsae too.

Manny

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know I am not in TKD but I am in my mid 60's and still compete about 4-5 times a year in forms and sparring.
When I was in my 20's I would compete almost every weekend till the snow stopped travel

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, it's true, I am 42 years old and the competitor in the tourneys are from 5 years old (sometimes a little below this) to mid 20's and no one above 30 some. I think in every tourney there would be a master division (kyorugi) for persons above 40's, the only way I see grown up men and women is the poomsae competition, localy here in my city no more the 4 or 5 people I must say.

One of my profesors who lives in Tijuana last year won gold medal in the LA National competitions in poomsae his name is Jorge Alberto Morales Gallegos he was the best of his division he must have 45-46 yares old, he was a good competitor in kyorugi and want to comebakc in sparring but been the new boys so fast,starong and well prepared he needs to do a lot of things to jump inside the ring.

Manny

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, I don't compete in tournaments today. I did quite a bit of point sparring in my youth and have the trophies somewhere in my parents' garage to show for it.

That said, I happily spar and 'roll' both at my school and in other learning venues with anyone, even those younger than myself. It keeps me on my toes and I am always improving from year to year even if I am no longer as 'spry' as many of my partners. Losing is never a problem to me. I do not practice judo actively but I still enjoy participating in randori with judo-ka, etc, as the opportunities come along.

karatemom

Green Belt
Reaction score
Me!

Last year I competed in 3 tournaments, 2 regional and 1 world and so far this year I've competed in 1 regional tournament.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Me!

Last year I competed in 3 tournaments, 2 regional and 1 world and so far this year I've competed in 1 regional tournament.

Well, it's been a while, Life has gotten in the way, but I took my BB for a spin, putting myself out there for all to see. Did ok, Chickened out of judging though ;)

Kwan Jang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I just took the silver medal at the NAGA World Grappling Championships in the Expert Super Heavyweight division. I haven't competed in TKD since the 1999 Nationals and other than winning the state meet that year, I hadn't done anything since winning the first junior olympics in 1981. I still occasionally do forms at open tournaments and might do so between now and next year's NAGA WC or World Cup.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I still compete in the sense that I haven't decided not to compete anymore. I haven't competed in over a year, mostly for financial reasons, but m y attitude is that I'm just waiting for the right situation, I haven't given up

Latest Discussions