Why is so critical????

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Using the post about the yellow belt against black belt in a tournament I want to ask to TKD Teachers... Why is so important tournamnts? why the students MUST to compete in tournaments? What's the big deal on this?

I did participate in tournaments in my youth, one as a green belt maybe a couple as a blue belt and five as a red belt to become a black belt it was a requirement. Given that I must say I wasn't a competitor.

Now been a grown up man and returning to TKD cause I like it sambunim in some ways has told me to compete and just imagine a 40+ men returning to his love for the MA against a well trained young men BB who competes in a regular basis, it's simple the odds are against me and I can be really hurt.

One thing is to do sparring on the dojan where the things are below some control and where gentelmen spar in a polite way, but there are a few people who does not like to get into the arena to test her/him self againt other.

So why is so critical to push the kids to compete?

Manny

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, it depends on what the tournament is.

Full contact - kids don't really need that IMHO.

Forms/Poomse/Kata/Hyong - it is a great way to get used to unfamiliar circumstances, feel a little pressure when it all essence it does not matter

Light/no contact/point sparring - same as above, see where you stack up, face somebody you are not familiar with from training and see how your brain works under stress.

I think, from my own experience with my own son, that there is much to be learned from tournament, even if you do not win a placing. I actually cherrish his spirit awards (thank you for coming) a lot more than the Silver he got his first time out! he was such a sore second I had to get onto him, he made such a fuss about not getting first! And I was so proud og him getting second place, too! But I was more impressed how he handled utterly flunking his form at a huge venue.

Does that kinda cover your question? At anycase, I would never force competition on anybody. Some people love it and thrive with it, others are just not build for it and have no gain from it at all!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well for me it is a way for them to over come fear, I do not push but I do let them know that this will help with that fear alot of students have with any confitation. I hope this little bit helps.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
So why is so critical to push the kids to compete?

My kids don't compete in other sports...we don't do soccer and little league and Tae Kwon Do and... We just do Tae Kwon Do.

So I think it's important for the kids because:
1) Learn to win graciously
2) Learn to lose graciously
3) Learn to have a goal and work toward that goal
4) etc...all those reasons why youth sports are good for mental and emotional development other than just "get out of the house and get some exercise"

Latest Discussions