How many of you train against firearms?

OP
W

Wmarden

to follow on what DAC..florida and who he was quoting, one must also consider that martial arts trains you to bridge gaps. If a person is slightly out of reach, there are ways and distractions so you can close the gap and then perform the disarm. Of course it is more dangerous, but we are talking about situations where the most dangerous thing is to do nothing at all.

OP
Y

yilisifu

Indeed! Physical distractions may actually frighten the opponent into squeezing off, so I suggest psychological distractions which slow his reaction time (if only slightly). There are several of these.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Distractions are work, but there are a lot of nervous criminals out there. I actually saw one sweating and his hands shaking. Those are the people to watch out for, because they have no idea what they are doing. It is possible that you can walk up to them and they won't shoot, but, the opposite can happen. The slightest distraction will make the criminal instinctively pull the trigger.

Also, it helps if you are somewhat close, to see if the gun is real or not, but most are impossible to tell. You can judge his skill level by looking at his stance and position, but again, is impossible to tell. The one thing I would do is remain calm (if his intent isn't on killing me).