How many of you have a spiritual connection to your MA

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
While I won't say something openly bigoted, that isn't what I am in MA for.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do not see a spiritual connection between Martial arts and any religion or connection really at all. Martial arts is about combat, and some ethics, but they are more in the nature of survival by acting properly.. not spirituality.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Many traditional Japanese MA have a link with shintoism. And even today there are some rituals in the JMA that could be considered spiritual. For example, the bowing ritual at the start / end of a Genbukan ninpo class.

For me, it doesn't matter. I am not a shintoist. To me, it is a ritual that simply marks the beginning and the end of a class. And in my case, I look at it as a mental transition, kinda like changing clothes. It's a way of saying to myself 'now I will focus on MA and I will think of nothing else'.

I've known people who would not practise a MA because they felt that the shinto roots went against their religion (he was catholic). I didn't follow his argument. I asked him: 'If I start a religion where one of the holy rituals was the shaking of hands, would you stop shaking hands'
He answered no, and imo, if you don't care for shintoism as a religion, then you should simply look at it as you would look at any other social ritual.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Martial arts are about developing fighting skills, I don't get involved with much of the "spiritual" in any other aspect of my life, can't say I would want it in a martial art I studied.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I practice some meditation exercises in our art, they are good for foucs and learning how to connect with your attacker to be able to become more aware of things. Is this what you were refering to?

rocksham

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Many traditional Japanese MA have a link with shintoism. And even today there are some rituals in the JMA that could be considered spiritual. For example, the bowing ritual at the start / end of a Genbukan ninpo class.

For me, it doesn't matter. I am not a shintoist. To me, it is a ritual that simply marks the beginning and the end of a class. And in my case, I look at it as a mental transition, kinda like changing clothes. It's a way of saying to myself 'now I will focus on MA and I will think of nothing else'.

I've known people who would not practise a MA because they felt that the shinto roots went against their religion (he was catholic). I didn't follow his argument. I asked him: 'If I start a religion where one of the holy rituals was the shaking of hands, would you stop shaking hands'
He answered no, and imo, if you don't care for shintoism as a religion, then you should simply look at it as you would look at any other social ritual.

wasnt there a post not long ago about the Bujinkan becoming formally linked to a Temple, though I forget if it were Buddhist or Shinto, I would think the former though.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think I would need a clearer definition of 'spiritual'. I think if the term 'spiritual' is being equated to religion then I would be uncomfortable with an enforced overlap between it and my martial art. Likewise the term 'spiritual' seems to have been commandeered by the contemplators and the meditators. While these are no doubt 'spiritual' activities, I think the term 'spiritual' can also be used synonymously with a kind of physical and mental enlightenment if you will. And so yes, I think there is a place for the advancement of the self in all arts. Used *in that sense* I think the term 'spiritual' works ok for me.

By making ourselves aware of what we can achieve, I think that makes good *personal* spiritual sense to me and but then I am using my own definition of the term.

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
wasnt there a post not long ago about the Bujinkan becoming formally linked to a Temple, though I forget if it were Buddhist or Shinto, I would think the former though.

I am in Genbukan, not Bujinkan, so I should point out that I am not the most qualified person to answer.

But the issue you mention is more complex than that.
From what I understood, the issue is that Hatsumi owns a lot of artefacts associated with the art that were passed down to him. If he has to pass these on, one scenario was that they'd be subject to inheritance tax. The registration would prevent that.

Another scenario I read about was that there are development plans that would mean the demolition of the Bujinkan honbu dojo (or road or something such). Registration of the dojo as a shinto temple would halt this temporarily, and give Hatsumi sensei enough time to commence construction of a new honbu dojo.

Again, I am not the best qualified person to answer this question, but there were several down to earth reasons postulated for registering as a religion or religious shrine.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think I would need a clearer definition of 'spiritual'. I think if the term 'spiritual' is being equated to religion then I would be uncomfortable with an enforced overlap between it and my martial art. Likewise the term 'spiritual' seems to have been commandeered by the contemplators and the meditators. While these are no doubt 'spiritual' activities, I think the term 'spiritual' can also be used synonymously with a kind of physical and mental enlightenment if you will. And so yes, I think there is a place for the advancement of the self in all arts. Used *in that sense* I think the term 'spiritual' works ok for me.

By making ourselves aware of what we can achieve, I think that makes good *personal* spiritual sense to me and but then I am using my own definition of the term.

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Jenna,

I agree with you. My dojo offers no religious training, no 'spiritual connection' in that sense that I'm aware of. My sensei is a professing Christian, I know that much, but I don't even know what particular church he attends - nor do I especially want to.

However, I feel a connection to my own spirit and my own spiritual energy, if you will, when I am in the dojo. I am working to learn more than just a way to kick or a manner of punching, I am working on things I cannot manifest physically, such as the mental state necessary to learn, and the mindset necessary to engage an assailant, should it ever become necessary.

I do consider the mind+body combination to be 'spiritual' in the sense that it embues me with qualities that I otherwise would not possess. In a synergistic way, the ability to throw a correct punch, combined with the mental state to understand when, where, and why the punch is being thrown, equals a spiritual state not unlike what has been called the 'warrior spirit' or simply budo spirit.

To me, the spiritualistic aspects of my MA training are not only welcome, but mandatory for me to truly appreciate what I learn. They do not symbolize religion or religious worship of any kind. It is all within me, my personal spiritual essence.

Many people recognize that chess has an 'inner game' as well as the outward manifestations of the moving of the chess pieces. This can involve not just knowing the appropriate rules and strategies, but when and why to use them, an understanding of the opponent through observation and insight, even consideration of such things as the weather.

I would therefore liken the spiritual aspect of my martial arts training to the inner game of chess. To know a block is one thing. To throw it correctly, another. To know the moment - the inner game, the spiritual side, the budo spirit of martial arts.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Taoism is very tied into Baguazhang but I am not a Taoist, and I don't feel I need to be to study, learn or benefit from the system. I do feel that studying any MA is of benefit to me spiritually in that it furthers me in my development as a person, helps me refine myself and have a better awareness of myself. From my perspective all of these things are spiritual and apply even with my focus on fighting and applications.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Spirituality and martial arts do have realtions how far you use martial arts as a vessel for your spirituality is up to you.

The arts I practice do have a strong theme of Taoist thought but it can be taken as deep and meaningul as you want it.

IMO I think man is a spiritual animal and without spirituality in the martial arts the arts becomes a shallow superficial stream rather then a deep ocean. IMO techniques are methods of culitvation and understanding of ourselves,others and the world to bring a better place.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There will always be a spiritual elements to one training, but it may or may not be religous base. See to me spiritual could mean be in turn with your surrounding, being able to sense before it happens and to me that is spiritual but not religous as some of you seem to think. I eman if you are in turn with your surrounding then you have found a spiritual connection to the surrounding you are in.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To me, the spiritualistic aspects of my MA training are not only welcome, but mandatory for me to truly appreciate what I learn. They do not symbolize religion or religious worship of any kind. It is all within me, my personal spiritual essence.

Hello Bill :) I think that is a lovely incisive summary right there. Your reply has the insight of experience I think. I also love the chess analogy. And I think many of us are apt to either overlook that inner game we all play in our art, or disregard it as having no 'spiritual' significance. And I think those multiple meanings and myriad connotations of the term comprise the central issue with 'spiritual' discussions that I imagine deters folk.

Spiritual need not imply religion if it is not wished for. And but likewise, it need not be esoteric, or worse, deploy magickal concepts all around our arts. But similarly, because our arts are grounded in the real world, that does not preclude that art from taking us beyond the mundane. And no, not in a patent-clad-running-around-the-walls way either ;) I just mean that all our learning and adeptness and all our aptitudes and skills when used proficiently can elevate our spirits; can make us feel better about ourselves; can make us feel worthwhile. *That* is spiritual for me.

Spirit in martial art is not esoteric or artsy-fartsy. It is, I believe, a simple elevation of the spirit through martial arts discipline, skill, practice, mutual respect and camaraderie etc. And while I accept that plenty of people practice for purely mundane reasons, at the same time, they are NOT omitting the spiritual side of their art - because it is present I believe in ALL arts. Just because some folk do not focus, recognise or accept the spiritual aspect of their art, the fact is, if their spirit is elevated through their art, then it does not matter whether or not they perceive it as spiritual as long as it is happening. And as long as that elevation is happening, the benefits will be felt :)

Just my opinion. Hope that does not sound like a major ranting session, I do not mean it to :)

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Spiritual need not imply religion if it is not wished for. And but likewise, it need not be esoteric, or worse, deploy magickal concepts all around our arts. But similarly, because our arts are grounded in the real world, that does not preclude that art from taking us beyond the mundane. And no, not in a patent-clad-running-around-the-walls way either ;) I just mean that all our learning and adeptness and all our aptitudes and skills when used proficiently can elevate our spirits; can make us feel better about ourselves; can make us feel worthwhile. *That* is spiritual for me.

Spirit in martial art is not esoteric or artsy-fartsy. It is, I believe, a simple elevation of the spirit through martial arts discipline, skill, practice, mutual respect and camaraderie etc. And while I accept that plenty of people practice for purely mundane reasons, at the same time, they are NOT omitting the spiritual side of their art - because it is present I believe in ALL arts. Just because some folk do not focus, recognise or accept the spiritual aspect of their art, the fact is, if their spirit is elevated through their art, then it does not matter whether or not they perceive it as spiritual as long as it is happening. And as long as that elevation is happening, the benefits will be felt :)

Just my opinion. Hope that does not sound like a major ranting session, I do not mean it to :)

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

This very much sums up how I feel about the topic, and I honestly couldn't have worded it better if I had a hundred years to try.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not Personally, I keep my Spiritual Side (Not Religion) Spiritual Side seperate from my MA, in fact seperate from everything else.

I get a warm fuzzy good feeling from doing my training.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I watched the Special Features of the Karate Kid last night. Pat Johnson, the stunt coordinator, talked about the fact that the Karate Kid "was the the first karate film that talked about the spiritual side of the martial arts." (While I'm not going to debate whether or not it was the first, I liked what he said about it).

Johnson said that while the Cobra Kais were only taught about the sport & about winning being everything, Daniel was taught something deeper.

If by a spiritual connection the OP means " are you taught that the hard physical training of your Art means more than thing in itself?" Yes, I have. As my signature says, "being a good fighter is one thing. Being a good person is everything." I hope that we all (& I'm sure most of us do) take with us the respect for others & self-control that we learn in the dojo out into the rest of the world & to other aspects of our lives. And that gaining belts, trophies or accolades for our MA prowess (or other strengths) isn't all we strive for or are taught. I hope we are learning (or at least having it reinforced in the dojo) that we are to look out for others who are weaker than are. If we're not, then we're missing something, IMO.

OP
suicide

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
many people took it like i meant do they intertwind catholic islamic christian views with there ma , no ! i meant more like more like ma is your soul mate in life and theres something you can explain that drives the 2 of you together :angel:

Latest Discussions